Bo Staff for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by User_Name, May 24, 2015.

1. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Pole-vault-Jutsu?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. That is a old secret martial art for scaling castle walls :cool:

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

and poking out the eyes of Chinese giants and enormous squids, of course.

4. 47MartialMan

Or giving them a large toothpick to get stuck in their mouth so they wont eat you

5. Juddy

Juddy New Member

Ok fellas, it was an honest mistake, theres no need to harp on about it.
    At least I gave some productive info, instead of harping on about weather a bo is a staff or not

6. 47MartialMan

Irs all good....having a little fun:p

7. Juddy

Juddy New Member

Yeah, I'm cool was having a bad day. My apologies

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Yeeh, because the average height of a Japanese person in medieval Japan was 6 feet...

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I disagree. Weapons are a personal thing and greatly depend on the school and style. Asking a random martial arts supplier what your friend would like is like asking a car salesman what kind of car your friend would like.

Unless you can talk with his sensei or know what he would like in detail (because he once spoke about it), it would be better to come up with a different idea.

10. 47MartialMan

Any of my friends can go to a Ferrari or Lamborghini salesman and buy it for me. Or buy any car for me, I would not dislike it :evil:

But, yeah, I "somewhat agree". The somewhat being that many people "gave" me Martial Art gifts from Bruce stuff, Martial Art Movies, Uniforms, and weapons. I even received many Asian (non Martial Art) items from people thinking that Martial Arts practitioners love Asian things.

11. Juddy

Juddy New Member

I disagree, I recently went to purchase a staff for my 9yr old daughter from Century with no knowledge of what kind she could use responsibly (she does xma competitions, I don't have much experience in this area of weaponry). They quized me on her height and what she would use it for, I told them for spinning and tricks.
    They not only showed me their entire range but what each one was used for, the different lengths and weights. I managed to get the specific one that she needed and she was very happy with it.
    So from my personal experience I would suggest a martial arts supplier would be the best course of action.
    Hope this helps

12. 47MartialMan

But, you had to have received information on what she was going to do with it from her instructor first...yes?

13. Juddy

Juddy New Member

I actually didn't, my daughter was the one who told me she would like a pole for spinning, she makes up the forms herself with my guidance and she wanted to do some tricks with a pole.