Blue Belt testing advice????

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Oct 6, 2011.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

Hi Ya'll,

Im gonna be testing for my blue belt next weekend & i have to do a side kick break. any good advice????

TIA Ya'll
    Lu

2. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Use good form. It should be no problem. Good luck and let us know how you did!

3. KSN_Princess

Thanks Convergencezone! I will totally let ya'll know!!! The crazy part about testing is that i have to wait like almost a full week before i get to know if i passed or not. But im gonna try to see if i can get one of the JKNs to see if i passed that day. i hope that they can.

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Good Luck ! Side kick should be no problem, if you use good form as suggested. Be sure to practice on a bag or held target to get the feel for the proper form. I always just "aim" my strike at a point PAST the target, usually the person holding the board... this ensures you aren't pulling back for fear of hitting the hard surface of the board. Bone is stronger than wood and the energy won't kick back into your foot if you break it.

5. KSN_Princess

Thank soo much Xanth! For the side kick breaking advice! that is one of the most feared things i have to do in my testing.

6. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I see board breaking as simply a confidence test for the student. You can easily break that board, once you realize that you know the technique and have the power to do it. There is a tremendous amount of power in the leg muscles, that board doesn't even stand a chance against your foot!

7. KSN_Princess

Xanth,

what ways can i prep for the side kick breaking at home???
    thanks

8. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Do you have to do this break by simply lifting your leg and pivoting into the extension? Or are you allowed to do a skip-step entry?

If it's the former, you need to work on generating as much POWER as you possibly can when you pivot. If it's the latter, you'll probably need to work on ACCURACY with landing your foot on target (the momentum gained from the skip SHOULD make the break a *piece of cake* - as long as you can hit the board dead center, that is - LOL).

9. KSN_Princess

I don't know if i just have to do a regular side kick or a skip step kick. But i will totally find out tonite cause im going to class & i;ll ask my PSBN :)
    Thanks for ur advice :)

10. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Don't hit the board with your toes.

11. unknown-KJN

Ooh! good point, wee-gee. :cool:

But I would suspect that someone testing for BLUE belt would be aware of the mechanics of a side kick, WRT foot position and what part of the foot should make contact with the target (that being the heel and "knife-edge" of the foot - i.e. jokdo 족도/足刀). But I suppose it never hurts to err on the side of less assumption, huh?

12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Unk covered it nicely...I don't have anything more to offer there.

13. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Good luck

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Hit the target! And dead centre. Sounds obvious, but the strongest kick in the world won't break the target if it misses. Also, hit through the target. Don't aim at it (as such), but aim through it.

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

By the way Unk... 'blade edge' is a great way to bust up an ankle if the target doesn't break. Compare (in your head preferably!) the idea of stomping down hard that way onto solid concrete, as against stomping directly with the heel only!

16. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Unk, I would have thought that you of all people would recognise sarcasm ;)

17. KSN_Princess

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!! I did test on oct 15! i went thru the test fine & i broke the board!!!!

18. unknown-KJN

:happy: :happy: :happy: CONGRATULATIONS !!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

I disagree (actually, I think we're in concordance, but allow me to explain). Note that I said heel AND knife-edge, meaning that instead of the center of the bottom of the heel being used to hit the target, that the outside edge of the heel should be used. This allows for a little more surface area to make contact and thus deliver more power/force into the target. Anyone who knows enough about A&P (anatomy & physiology), should realize that excessive pressure to the blade-edge of your foot (if too close towards your toes) may present some problems for your ankle. However, if localized nearer to the heel, your ankle should be just fine (BTW, I can jump up fairly high and land on only one foot, in the same area that I prescribe using with a side kick, and I have yet to "bust up an ankle"). Perhaps you're folding your foot too far inward, Pugil. I've seen people make this *mistake* before, as hitting with the *proper* portion of your foot only requires the slightest medial tilt, and not the full extent that your ankle will bend in that direction (hint: it's sorta like walking on the outer edge of your foot, keeping your weight more focused at the heel and off of your toes).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  19. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

As someone who has never taken a rank test in a martial art, can someone please tell me how and why it would take a week to find out if you passed the test?

20. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

It depends on the school I suppose. I've always known my results the same day in the KSW at the schools I've attended. Perhaps there were more testing and they wanted to promote everyone at the same time...not sure, just guessing.