Blue Belt Question

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Nov 29, 2010.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

Hi EveryOne
    Now this is just logical but when someone is testing for their blue belt doesn’t it make sense that they have to do half or the whole blue form???
    Im testing in Jan but i have since been teached the form. So should i try to learn it myself via ( video that one of my JKN instructors made & uploaded to youtube) or should i just focus on what we are working on ( knowing that they will teach me before my testing).
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i don't understand what you mean. are you saying you don't know all of cho guep hyung yet?

3. KSN_Princess

Sorry for making it soo confusing. :(
    our school use to be teaching sparing / grappling & technique / forms
    switching each other days but now its one full week of just lets say sparring or whatever they have planned.
    im afraid i wouldn't know it all by the time my testing rounds a around.

4. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

speak to your instructor and tell him/her that you are concerned. you should know it all for blue belt. what part are you up to?

5. KSN_Princess

I learned off of the video up to knife floor strike - (where u are on one knee & u do a knife hand stike to the floor)
    other than that they didn't start teaching me on it yet!! Which is freaking me out kinda cause im testing in jan!

6. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

well you asked if you should learn it off videos and you have just answered your own question. there isn't a kneeling knife hand strike on cho guep hyung! are you getting confused with a different hyung?

7. KSN_Princess

The JKN insturctor that is doing it is kinda going fast so maybe i though i saw him go down intill a kneeling knife hand strike. I think i need to watch it more carefully!

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i think you need to be taught by your instructor, rather than copying a video!

9. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I suspect she is getting the *kneeling* knife-hand in KBS #3 mixed up with the *kneeling* back-fist in cho-geup-hyeong. :D

Just so you know, Princess, cho-geup-hyeong has 2 parts. The first part has roughly half as many movements as the second part, with the idea that each part should take the same amount of time to execute (this is why the first part is called jase-sogi or "holding the stance" - it also helps to establish the rhythm/timing of the hyeong). Furthermore, the 1st part is done in one spot while the 2nd part moves you consistently forwards using many successive steps. Your description of how far you know puts you about midway through the 2nd part, so there's not much left to learn. :cool:

But i agree with Dave. Until you have been doing MA a bit longer (becoming more familiar with all the specific movements), you shouldn't try to learn solely off a video. Learn it from one of your instructors first and only use the video as a reference to help jog your memory. ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i thought that too, but sometimes i like to keep my thoughts to myself :cool:

kswprincess, can you post the vid you've been watching?

11. unknown-KJN

C'mon, Dave, you know I'm more brash than to "keep my thoughts to myself." :rolleyes: (j/k)

Again, I'll be my usual rude, pretentious self and show what I believe is the video clip in question...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDFW_DqEc0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDFW_DqEc0[/ame]

If you care to see more, Dave, then surf on over to this webpage:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  12. unknown-KJN

I hadn't looked at that clip from MAFA in a while, and I think it's pertinent to mention to the princess, that due to not having sufficient room for full execution of the hyeong, twice the guy slides his foot backwards (which is NOT part of the actual footwork) and both times occur AFTER the point where you say you have learned. This is yet another good reason not to rely solely on video when learning forms... :rolleyes:

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

With the greatest respect to anyone... How can someone state that they are testing in two months time, whilst at the same time admitting that they don't know the material? Where my students are concerned, testing is a privilege that I might bestow on them from time to time, when I'm sure in my own mind that they are ready for promotion. At which point, the actual test should be pretty much a formality and, as such, could be regarded as irrelevant.

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

He doesn't run out of space, he's still within the black square at that point. If memory serves me right, Master Kim taught it to me that way too. If my memory is in question, I am sure that D2 will tell me so.

15. unknown-KJN

Yeah, I wasn't thinking so much that he didn't have enough room in the gym, but that he would move past the range of the camera (despite the fact that the cameraman seemed perfectly capable of panning the shot and keeping him within the frame).

FWIW, I learned this form where every *step* is intended to move only in a forward direction, including the back step (or rear cross step) executed while facing off to the side, which is followed by a pivot that straightens out to a front stance and is supposed to add power to the punch off that instance of spinning the body.

Needless to say, I therefore don't put a kicked foot down next to my other foot and then slide what was the support leg back; I put the kicked foot down way out in front of me. Nor do I shift backward halfway through the pivot at the very end, instead simply spinning all the way around to a securely balanced posture when delivering the double palm strike (if you like, I can send you a video, but for your eyes only, Ollie).

EDIT:
    As I understand the kick just prior to the first instance in the video of a regressive step, it's supposed to be a high front kick. However, due to newbies not being all that flexible, I have seen it recommended to substitute what I refer to as a projection kick (aka: straight-leg kick, or apcha-oligi). Since the tendency when doing this *stretch-based* kick is to put your foot down beside your other foot, it would make sense to then slide the left foot back while executing the first of 2 low slapping blocks which are intended to protect the knee of the right leg from side attacks via roundkicks. But if you execute a front kick, then stepping forward out of the kick is completely doable (and would be identical to the first move in KCH #1). Regardless of which type of kick you choose to do here, either stepping pattern is completely viable and could be applied within the bounds of its prescribed *imaginary* attack. But I stand fast on my objection to the regressive movement of the left leg just prior to the rear cross-step executed by the right foot, which is at the very end of the video. Upon further inspection of how this fellow moves his body, I noticed that when he does the same movement on the other side (just after the crescent kick, and incorporates the spinning punch I outlined above), he places the foot which did the crescent kick fairly close to his other foot. FWIW, if stressing every little detail, he should come down into a horse-riding stance from the crescent kick and then do the back step. His horse-riding stances are very wide and I suspect he feels off-balance when doing a back-step long enough to pivot around into a front stance and probably why he sneaks in the adjustments I noted. This doesn't mean that I advocate doing the footwork for the form in this fashion, just that I understand why he does what he does in the video.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was digging around on my hard drive looking for the video clip of me doing cho-geup-hyeong (just in case you asked for it) when I stumbled upon a different clip I had downloaded off of YouTube. Since this other video hasn't been removed from YouTube, I'll insert it here, as it offers yet another rendition (as well as some of the other forms on the KSW syllabus).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufhTObS4uY"]Hapkido Forms[/ame]

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  16. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Thanks Unknown. Don't worry about the video, I understand what you mean.

Interesting to see that Hapkido guy in the white do-bok doing all those forms 'owned' by WKSA though. I wonder where he stole those from. Any idea when that film dates from?

17. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Seems like there was another thread on this.