Blow your own horn.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Name a good thing you did recently for humans or animals or both.

Go ahead, Show off how sweet you are! :D

I'll start.

On Jan 10, 2013, we had a snowstorm. The few hours before it started, a little orange kitty came to our door. We took him in and fed him and took care of him cause we didnt want him out in the storm. The next day we let him out and he went home. He came back over next several times and we put a note on his collar to find his family. We got a phone call and we found out who his family was, how old he was, and what his name was. He visited us a lot the winter. and we developed quite a strong friendship with him.

Then, in April, we didnt see him for about 2 weeks or week and a half. In early spring, we found him dead on our front yard. We thought he had something wrong with him internally because he was only 7, he kept scratching at his head even though I saw no sign of fleas, and there arent any animals out loose here that would kill him. We informed his 19 year old guardian, and her mother and brother and she came up to see him and say goodbye. He didnt have anywhere to keep him so we put his little body in our deep freeze (yes we had a body in the deep freeze for a week!) She wanted tyo have him cremated, but didnt know how to go about finding a number or anything. She also had no vet. So I called my own cat's vet and got the number for her. After a short while, she made the plans, then we put Garfield's body in a little box and gave him to her. I also gave $40 to her to go towards his cremation.

His ashes now sit in a small black box in her room.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I didn't punch a staff member at work who for a 2 hour shift sang the same 2 lines from a song on loop. That counts as nice right? :p

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Blade it sounds to me like those people didn't give a rat's butt about their cat. I'll bet they took your money and buried the cat.

4. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

There’s an old man who lives across the street from me, he’s in his late 70’s. During the months January through to March we were getting quite horrendous weather, snow storms, ice etc. Anyway one night and I don’t know why I got this horrible feeling of conscience grow over me. I hadn’t seen him in a few days so I decided to check he was ok. Rang the bell knocked on the door but no answer.

I thought maybe he was out because he’s quite a social old dude and enjoys a party. On the way out of his gate I slipped on his path and almost smashed my head. I done the only sensible thing I could do – got a shovel and scraped all the ice off of his path, driveway and street. Really not like me as I didn’t even bother doing my own. I did this for a couple days before I decided to call the police. As I was about to call the police his sisters car pulled up to the house and out stepped the old dude with a Mailbu tan. Cheeky git had decided to hibernate in his house in Tenerife during the snowstorm. Lesson learned!! But was a good thing to do even though he wasn’t there.

Baza

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I was walking down a street the other day in a less salubrious part of town when I saw someone's house keys hanging out of their door.
    I knocked and a slightly wary and unfriendly guy opened the door.
    Which transformed into relief when I pointed out teh keys and how I didn't want someone taking them and coming back later.
    Turns out his missus had done it before.
    He thanked me and was genuinely warmed someone had helped him out. Silly really.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's something I see a lot - it's suprisingly common. I always give them a knock on the door, then if there's no answer a pop a note through telling them that their keys are in the lock.

When we had the heavy snowfalls last winter, I cleared my path, then because I quite enjoy it, I cleared the pavement outside. Then I cleared a path for the lass next door, because I doubt she has a shovel and she's quite small. Then I did the neighbours two doors along, because they're always good to me. Everyone on our row looks out for each other, which is really nice. You don't feel like you're going out of your way when you do someone a good turn.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

We had a rooster start living outside near our police station oddly enough. At first people got a kick out of feeding him, but then the high rise nearby started complaining as he was crowing every morning. So another officer and I handled the situation in a way that was beneficial to everyone... beer can chicken. Admittedly probably not the most beneficial for the rooster but he was delicious.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Why pop a note through the door to tell them instead of just posting the keys through the letterbox?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You might lock them out?
    They might have just popped to their car or something?
    I'd probably leave them on the doorstep so they are at least out of sight to some degree.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Just in case the door is locked and they are outside without a spare key. I don't try the door to see if it's locked, because I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was up to no good.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That's pretty awesome Blade :)

No, Southpaw, it doesn't.

That counts as saintly :p

Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard at this! Please tell me you put him on a barbeque with a bit of cajun seasoning :)

As for my good deed...can't really say too much as of late. I go through some periods where I'll happily stop in the middle of a city to buy a homeless guy a coffee and a warm sandwich on a cold day or help an old lady carry their shopping across the road to being horrendously antisocial to everyone. Even myself.

But there was carrying a child home on my shoulders (she was 10) when she fell off a roundabout and sprained her ankle - her home was about half a mile away from the park and only a few doors down from where I lived. I happened to rock up at the park on my way home from shopping with my baby son just as she was trying to make her own way home.

That's about it really. Nothing too special.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

We grilled him outside the station with a Texas rub. Fortunately the desk guy was a great griller.

The oncoming lieutenant was a bit taken aback seeing the blood and feathers, but did enjoy the chicken when it was done.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I saw this old lady trying to cross the street and no one would slow down. I went ahead and stopped and got out. She thanked me and as she started to walk I slapped her in the face and told her if she didn't hurry up I would run her over.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nice thread Blade. Don't have any redeeming stories I can think of at the moment, but I wanted to say that anyway.

15. Blade96

LOL you didnt :p

anyway this and the rooster story made me laugh, the others are just sweet and cute and nice. :)

Thanks Stuart :)

16. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Yep, and then when she got right in front of the car I blew the horn at her.

17. komuso

komuso Valued Member

I don't know Blade, Saved is probably pretty tired right now, and that can make folks do some wild stuff :)

paul

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I don't have any recent stories, but I wanted to say this is a nice thread. :D Nice to see a break from all the negativity on the interwebz nowadays. :)

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

A few years ago I had just finished putting my weekly food shopping into the car boot at the local supermarket and was about to take the trolley back. I noticed the two old ladies at the car next to me were doing the same thing, so I offered to take their trolley along with mine. They were very grateful, and I felt that nice warm glow which comes from doing someone a good turn.

When I got back to the car, my son (who was waiting in the passanger seat) told me that as one of the old ladies had opened their door, she had banged it hard against my car. Sure enough, there was a big dent right in the middle of the offside rear door. It's still there to this day.

The moral of the story? To be honest, I've really no idea.

20. Blade96

His posts made me laugh :)