Bloodsport - Jean Claud Van Damme (1988)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AJS-TKD, Apr 28, 2014.

1. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

OK, maybe showing my age a little here but the movie Bloodsport starring Jean-Claud Van Damme has got to be my favorite all time movie.

Before the credits the following can be found: This motion picture is based upon true events in the life of Frank W. Dux. From 1975 to 1980 Frank W. Dux fought 329 matches. He retired undefeated as the World Heavy Weight Full Contact Kumite Champion. Mr. Dux still holds four world records: Fastest Knockout - 3.2 seconds Fastest Punch with a Knockout - .42 seconds Fastest Kick with a Knockout - 72 mph Most Consecutive Knockouts in a Single Tournament - 56 Subsequently Mr. Dux founded the first American Ninjitsu System. Dux-Ryu.

Although I must admit I also watched the later ones Bloodsport II, III, and IV but didnt find them just as interesting.

Has anyone else seen the movies, and what was your thoughts on it ?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Attached Files:

3. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

I see you have picked out the TRUE word in that text, I also had my doubts but after watching it again today :) It does say it is a true story, although probably has loads of added "extras" for entertainment purposes lol

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

5. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Oh well, if it says it's true it must be.

Did you know that the world wide web was first devised as a means of fact checking Frank Dux's claims about his life? It's been almost 25 years and it's still working on it. True Story.

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good movie and one of my favourites althrough the Chronicles of Narnia is more likely based on a true story......

Dux is a proven fraud who also lied about his military service as well as his "fight record"... he didnt apparently even hold a passport at the time...

Read and research mate, Plenty of Dux characters in the MA world **Cough Dillman/Ashida Kim Cough **

Dan

8. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

I am not completely blinded by lies written on the internet or produced in movies, however until someone knows or understands the facts, you have no reason not to believe it is a true story. As I mentioned I did have my doubts, after reading the article David Harrison mentioned it has only confirmed my suspicion that it may not be a "true" story.

Still a great movie all the same haha :)

9. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

Hi Dan, yes I am beginning to realise this, sadly I am new to MA and have never really paid much attention to it in the past. I think I will be doing some research into Dux to see what can be dug up. :)

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to Martial Arts AJS-TKD. You're going to have a lot of preconceptions uprooted, first impressions crushed, and find yourself asking what's real and what's not frequently along your journey. It's ok though! Unless you're born into the culture it's not your fault at all. We're all susceptible to mass social influences, stereotypes and generalizations.

You would do yourself a favor in just believing everything you know about Martial Arts is a complete lie, and trying to figure out the standards things should be measured and weighed by. You would save yourself a lot of time. :p

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kickboxer was better.

12. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

Thank for the welcome Ero-Sennin, and I believe your advice may be correct, don't believe anything until you know the facts, especially with Martial Arts ha-ha :) :bang:

13. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

Van Zandt, I agree Kickboxer was a good movie, but I still always found Bloodsport more enticing haha

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

how many movies have you seen?

as far as van damme movies go, sure it's his magnum opus. i personally like "hard target" much, much better. as far as van damme movies go, mind you. as far as originality, not much there. they even had to "borrow" the "brick don't hit back" line.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Agree with VZ, Kickboxer is better. JCVD is the best he ever acted though.

Steven Seagal vs JCVD would have been the best MMA fight of all time.

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Its TRUE, Dux changed his name to Ashida Kim

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Kickboxer is my all time favorite movie of all time ;) seriously, so it is obviously also my fave VanDamme movie.

Bloodsport is amazing as well though, my 2nd or 3rd favorite VanDamme movie (also was the inspiration to Mortal Kombat 1).

DID YOU KNOW
    Van Damme himself spent countless hours cutting Bloodsport himself so the original Bloodsport movie is the "Van Damme Cut" , the original made by the director was pure trash according to Van Damme, it was so bad the movie was not supposed to ever be released. Van Damme put his own money into the movie to get the version we all know and love out. "the VAN DAMME CUT" = Bloodsport.

God Bless the Ring

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Dux is a fraud but the Bloodsport movie is a really good flick none the less.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, I absolutely loved Bloodsport when I was a kid. :happy:

The recent "JCVD" movie is pretty good, but in the kung-fu genre I think Hard Target is his 2nd best.

20. AJS-TKD

AJS-TKD Valued Member

I didn't actually know that, but after watching the other Bloodsport movies that Van Damme was not involved in I can see why he took it upon himself to do the editing. The others where terrible and the story lines where not that good either.