Blocks? Redirections?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taliar, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Which 'blocks' would you classify as standard blocks in that they stop the attacking technique, and which as a redirection that moves the attacking technique away from its target area. Which do you feel is more effective and which do you use more in free sparring.

2. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

All of them.
    All of them.
    Neither of them.
    Either of them.
    What is more each can also be used to Clear, Strike, Trap or push. Great Questions!!

Snob

3. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

:D An answer with no answers :D

Ok then what in your opinion is the main emphasis of blocks. To stop the technique or to redirect the technique.

(This question is based on the view a Martial Artist from a different style had on TKD defensive techniques).

Also what is the most important TKD defensive technique.

4. MartialArtsSnob

I know that my answer sounded like it was "no answer" but if fact is was a compete answer. All blocks use the same basic elements, regardless of style. The emphasis is what changes. They can and are used for any of the ideas presented. you will usually learn it with a particular emphasis based on the way that your style likes to use it. Later on in your training you will be taught how to use other ideas with the same motion. Other styles will use the same motion, call it something different, but it the end it is the same. What is the most important TKD defensive technique? I would have to say "not being there". Again something that will sound like a "non answer".

ItiswaymoresimplethanyouthinkMartialartsnobout!

5. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

The most important TKD defensive technique is the ability to use your brain. To be able to avoid the circumstances that would lead you into a situation to which you might need to use your abilities. And also to be able to talk your way out of a dangerous situation...

A lesson on blocks is not the kind that can be done in a forum. Most blocking techniques can be classified as "re-direction" defenses even if they are primarilly known as just for stopping power.

This is where a good dojang and a good instructor come in handy.

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I tend to block everything with my face! :eek:

I agree. If using your brain and not your emotions, 90% of the time you can end a fight without using any kick, block or punch. Thats where the Tenets of TKD come in. Any one remember SELF CONTROL!

7. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Defending the target not the weapon...

Dear all,

Along the lines of the initial post I wish to address something often overlooked in the instruction of defensive concepts...

In all actuality, we do not attempt to block the attacking weapon, but rather to block the attacking weapon from impacting the target. Also, a successful block will serve two functions and in this order...

1. To destroy the blows ability to direct power into ones self

While simultaneously...

2. Creating a more desirable angle for counter attack

Regardless of whether you directly impact the striking tool or redirect the attackers power through other means; you have successfully stopped the transfer of power from the attacking tool to the intended target. Having accomplished that succesfully, you have completed a SUCCESSFUL BLOCK!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

A block is actually a strike. You are supposed to be blocking with enough power to disable your opponents limb.

9. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I mean't a different martial artist that I as a TKD'ist had been speaking too. I was not asking for a TKD lesson, but asking my fellow forum members to share their thoughts. :eek:

10. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Knightcommander...

Sir,

Being a hard stylist, I will gladly inflict damage on my enemy at every opportunity. That being said, every block is not a strike!

Examples...

Pressing Blocks (Joong Gun movement 3 & 6)
    Cresent Blocks (Yul-Gok movements 15-16 & 18-19)
    Circular Blocks (Won-Hyo movements 19 & 22)

Please bare with the terminology and numbers if they are incorrect (no sleep!)

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

11. MartialArtsSnob

Spookey, I don't know these forms but I am going to take a guess and say that circular and pressing blocks may indeed be strikes to the joints (breaks) if you reduce the range in your applications.

AnotherSWAGfromtheSNOB!

12. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

KCommander...

Dear Sir,

What pattern set do you use?

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

13. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

I'm not sure what defines a pressing block...but as for circular blocks, they tend not to become strikes. However, they do often lead into joint locks and throws...especially when amped up. I say this based on my previous Aikido training.

Peace,
    Erik

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

WTF. Have no idea what the patterns are called, we are just taught them as numbers. I know up to 4.

15. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

KnightCommander..

Sir,

Being that you have only learned the first four patterns of your set, is it safe to say that you are fairly new to martial arts?

Regardless, as you progress in TKD you will learn many techniques which will differ greatly from those used in the first four patterns. Some of these techniques are soft and passive in nature. These techniques are designed to allow you to take control over your attacker without the necessity of causing injury. These "blocks" are used for trapping and intercepting as opposed to immediate destruction.

Remember, morality and ethics should dictate life. Thus is the spirit of traditional Mudo (Korean Fighting Arts), and therefore we must be willing, when able, to preserve as opposed to destroy!

TAEKWON!
    Spookey