Blindfolded Push-Hands

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Visage, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Wow, I have just realised, you REALLY don't know about this stuff. I now see it is all about your ego and your not into martial training. Sorry for wasting your time.

The Bear.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Wow, I have just realised , one thing worse than closed eyes is a closed mind.
    Sorry for wasting MY time.

koyo

thought I should add this. :bang:

LOVED the movie
    Just did'nt BELIEVE the movie :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Or a mind so open that all the brains ran out.

The Bear.

4. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

sure you must know... after all you're 'the bear' aren't you? expert on ego, no doubt :rolleyes: roflmfao!
    As for koyo - if you read back, you might be able to discern there was more than injurious lack of sight, there was 'outside of site' and lack of light, also the exercise (yes exercise - not fighting, bozo) was about sensitivity without reliance on sight - now what was that about a closed mind...?

I obviously dinna cam frae glasgae, dae a?
    I won't waste another word :cool:

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

No one heeds the dog that barks with no teeth. yap all you want toothless one.

The Bear.

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I have been taught that part of my training is to instill a permanant awareness of my surroundings, and anyone nearby. Especially as I live in an area infested with chavs and pikeys.

I have done blindfolded push hands and found that when I did it regularly over a few weeks, I could sense where my partner was even when we had lost physical contact. Loss of sight increased my other senses...most obviously my hearing.

Interestingly, this had a knock on effect by increasing my general level of awareness.

I haven't done any blindfold stuff for ages now because, as has been said before by previous posters, it is a tiny part of what I do.

I train and study hard, however, sometimes it is nice to have 'playtime' with like minded partners, where we explore and then discuss various techniques.

There is a saying...

"Don't knock it until you've tried it" :p

7. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Agreed, playtime is good. If you go at it with a relaxed attitude, a lot more natural responses come out. It can be a very interesting experiment.

James

8. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

TJB - I'm putting this nicely in the spirit of any fragment of "friendship" or at least civility we might have left between us. In my opinion, I think forums are starting to get to you and you are consistently beginning to come across as quite spiteful, mocking, mean-spirited, petty and childish. I'm thinking of taking another break to give you less to get worked-up about.

Take this how you want and rip me to pieces over it all you want, but try to think calmly before you do.

9. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Not wanting to speak for him, but...

I'm sure speaking patronisingly to someone can get their back up, no matter what the situation. :rolleyes:

James

10. jkzorya

Well it was either that or rip in to him with the same kind of disdain he usually shows me, but I apologise sincerely to you both if my comment offended you.

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Alternatively, you could keep your amatuer psycho-analysis to yourself and try to restrict your comments to the topic of discussing the posted clip.

James

12. jkzorya

Ooh - it's catching :eek:

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Or perhaps you should take the trouble to check the personal history of the other posters before as TJB has done calling them Bosos.Or a post based on decades of experience codswollop of the forst order.
    Sensei Coyle 40+ years training in

aiKIdo with cross training in karate kendo and judo.
    RESPECTFULLY
    koyo

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Back to topic :cool:

Anyone willing to put preconcieved thoughts aside and do some blindfold stuff??

MA shouldn't be all about repetitive training, (my opinion)

It is interesting to play with obscure stuff you've just made up. Sometimes it is interesting, sometimes it is pants...but it all has value.

Are we the only ones who play 'out of the box?' :confused:

15. Taiji Butterfly

Jkz - thanks for your concern, but forums don't get to me. Stupid people do. :bang: :bang: :bang: I have always despised 'clipology' and the numbnut armchair experts it breeds - but hey ho I can handle it. No need to 'rescue' me (remember that triangle...? ;) )

It's okay tho - coz now I have discovered the magic of the ignore function! Bliss! :love: :cool:

16. Wuming

Wuming Bored

TJB, I would also respectfully request to be added to your ignore list. Thanks.

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

OK, I've done a lot of push hands both seeing and blindfolded.I consider it-(blindfolded ph)- a valuable method.I'm a pragmatist, and don't live in a land of kung fu make believe.Again, it just helps you concentrate more on the sensitivity and your own kinesthetics.It's a limited training method,not unlike when some boxing coaches tape one of their fighter's hands up against his body to have him concentrate exclusively on the other hand.

One of my TC teachers had an old friend who was,before he retired from Aikido, one of Yamada Shihan's -(that's Yamada in NY City)-upper level guys.He didn't seem to feel it was worthless training, and he had been quite the formidable brawler before his study under Yamada.(He didn't live in the land of make believe,either).That's just an aside for you Aikidoka.

Based on my decades of experience,I feel it's worthwhile,though not necessary.It seems rather harsh to dismiss a simple training method such as this out of hand when lacking any experience in it.It's not like we're talking about throwing ch'i balls or something.

Respects to all.And I really mean that.

18. Taijiman

Taijiman Valued Member

I'm not following your logic. Being knocked out is nothing like being blind. You're knocked out, you're completely unaware of anything with no control over your body. You're shut down. You lose your eyesight, you still have your entire body to defend yourself. You might be pretty screwed if you completely lose track of your attacker, but if you're up close an personal (already in contact, like a grappling situation) you've still got a chance, particularly if you're trained for such a thing. At the very least it could help keep you from panicking. Comparing it to being knocked out just doesn't make any sense.

19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ok,
    A little experiment for the willing to just experience how difficult blind fighting is. Put on your blindfold and ask one or two of your less repsectful students (depending on your level of confidence) to attack you full power using any attack from any direction. Only then you will realise the disorientating effect of a full power strike while blind.

Sensitivity training is worthwhile but I recommend developing sensivity with eyes open for the very principle koyo stated earlier. Training the mind to be sensitive while all hell is breaking loose all around you is better than learning sensitivity in an isolation tank.

At the begining of this thread I discussed with Visage in a respectful manner and even though we disagreed we respected on another. It is TJB (as usual) who has brought the discussion to a base level. If people want to blindfold and train it is there perogative, I am putting forward my view as to why I disagree with this form of training.
    Most people out there like the idea of martial training but the reality is that it is hard and unpleasant most of the time. If you are not thinking at the end of a session why the hell as I doing this to myself, then I'm afraid you haven't trained outside your comfort zone. If you rarely feel uncomfortable while training then I'm afraid your aren't doing martial training. If you have left any session without multiple bruises then you are not training hard enough. I know this will be unpopular in today's risk adverse world but it is a truth that separates the martial practicioners from the arts practicioners.

The Bear.

20. Taiji Butterfly

Membership of my "Numpty Club" is exclusive. It has to be earned! :cool:
    As I was basically unaware of your existence up to now I was kind of ignoring you anyway tho! lol