Bladed SAIS

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Black Lotus, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Lotus

Black Lotus Banned Banned

does anyone know a good black smith that can make bladed sais? in the diamond shaped blades?
    and does anyone know who can wrap things like a katana handle?
    it took me 23 months to master sais and now i want a pair
    i can call professional! :D

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Wow! You must be good, if many people wont say that they are a master even after 23 years of learning a weapon ;)

3. Black Lotus

i said ive mastered them im not a master LOL i cannot learn anymore with sais because there is nothing more, i can use them in different styles like traddional with the sais in closed position alot and offensive using them like short swords, and ive learnt how to twirl them etc. the only thing i havent mastered with sais is kama because they dont appeal to me and just seem rather stupid.

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Sorry but I've said this before if you're not learning under an instructor then you are not learning the weapon!

You have no idea if you are doing things right. For example how do you judge your use of distance and timing if you are on your own with no one to guide you??

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

another self taught guy eh?

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

No, another self taught kid!!! :D

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

If you have mastered the weapon, then you are a master of that weapon ;)

As spooky said, if you are not learning the weapon from an instructor you are not learning the weapon, therefor you cant have mastered the weapon.

And shooto/Greg - yep, it appears that we have had another self-taught kid invade the sacred weapons forum :cry:

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

oh, and for the record, you might want to get the last issue of Inside Kung Fu. There is no such thing as "bladed sai", that was a convention created by Marvel Comics to make Elektra cooler. They are never "bladed".

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

you gotta love a newbie

10. Black Lotus

i have mastered sai, since i have talk to sensai's in the usa, and read books and watched alot of things with sai etc. i have checked all about sai and everything said on there i have learnt to a T. i cannot find anything new to learn and i have mastered everything. and just because i dont wish to pay outrages amounts of money to a instructor does not mean i have not mastered sais. and i maybe a newbie to this forum but i am one hell of a student in MA. so please dont try and judge me since you dont know me.

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Student normally means you have an instructor, so care to tell us your instructors in any Martial Arts?

12. Lord Spooky

You have had no formal instruction and as you have said you have only studied the weapon for 23 months so going on that no you haven't mastered them!!

So how do you know you are doing things right?
    How can you gage your use of timing and distance when dealing with an opponent?

13. Lord Spooky

Believe it or not Black Lotus we're aren't being mean to you! To be honest we just don't want to see you getting hurt.

As a few of us have said it is dangerous teaching yourself a weapon and then being under the impression that you are competent in it's use.

You need proper instruction and that doesn’t come from books or movies. Just because you think you are doing Kamae as the appear in books doesn’t mean you are doing them right! You are giving yourself a false sense of security in believing that you have can learn anything of real value, application wise, from a book when you don’t have a qualified teacher guiding you!

Now you have come on to here for advice and asked questions now just because the answers you are getting aren’t those you’d like to hear doesn’t mean they are the wrong answers!

Between them the members of MAP have a vast amount of experience in MA. Now that’s experience gained under talented and qualified teachers. So just take it that they do know what they are on about and that you could be wrong in your assumptions!

:)

14. chasleeuk

chasleeuk Valued Member

so you think youve mastered sai's? :rolleyes:

have you trained:

1. sai vs sai preset sparring against someone else with sai
    2. sai vs pole
    3. empty hand vs sai
    4. sai vs XXX weapon/sword/dagger/knife
    5. sai sensitivity drills
    6. sai form/kata and also sai applications

just some of the many aspects of training i think you should have covered to be considered competant in any weapon.

the original post sounds like a beginner who learns how to throw a jab, cross uppercut and hook....then says hey ive mastered boxing....without even getting into the ring or training under a coach....anyone can bust out a few techniques...but its the ability to apply the techniques which distinguishes a master from a beginner! :bang:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Lets get a few things straight, k?

1. You're a whopping 14 years old (per your profile, your date of birth is May 1991). You aren't old enough to have mastered anything. Especially since your "martial arts style" in your profile is marked "random". You're a self-taught child, and the last thing anyone here is going to do is recommend you to someone who can give you anything sharp and pointy.

2. With no instruction formally, how do you know what you're doing? Are you sparring with the weapon against a real opponent who understands how the weapon is used? Is someone with more experience than you correcting your stances, hand positions, and blocks? The sai is one of the most difficult weapons to use properly, so please don't insult the intelligence of the people on this forum who actually know how to use the weapons by claiming that you've "mastered" them because you've been playing with them since you wer twelve and a half. And for the record, talking to someone about sai =/= formal instruction. If you want us to take you seriously, please list where you train and who your instructors are.

3. You obviously haven't mastered anything if you don't even know that sai are not bladed, but always rounded. Maybe if you knew the history of the weapon in question, we'd take you a bit more seriously.

That is all
    GC

16. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I don't think Marvel made this one up.

Attached Files:

17. Lord Spooky

Is that a traditional Sai i.e. From Okinawa??

Or a modern incarnation?

Or somehting that that looks like a Sai but is infact from another country ?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The symbol on the back says "penkat silat" (I believe, it's a bit difficult to read) and "Indonesia" (very clear at the top of the pic). So I'm gonna say "not a traditional okinawan sai". Perhaps it's a "traditional" Indonesian sai, but my guess is that it is a more modern adaptation of a Sai.

19. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

not a good bladed sai. I haven't read much elektra but I'm guessing thats just some fanboys reincarnation of an elektra sai from whats been said here. It's just a knife with a bet metal bar around it you'd almost never be able to use the blade because the bar would get in the way. heck you can't even get a full stab cause the bar would stop you

and as for you lotus no you haven't "mastered" the sai you've read books, seen movies, and TALKED to a few sensei so you say. Well you're gonna think I'm crazy but thats not mastering them! what have you trained you're sais against? other sais? wing chun dummy? punching bag? you have no idea how to apply it. you're probably doing a million things wrong. If you don't mind load up a movie of some of the stuff you know then we could see how much ur getting wrong and MIGHT give you a break. Probably not but maybe. As spooky said we are in a way worried for you thinking your the "UBER PWNZORZ master" but also it is in a way disrespecting the people who have spent even 6 months doing hard good work to actually learn the sais correctly, under an instructor. And it's even disrespecting the people who made those books and movies you're watching who spent years with their weapons before they could even start writing a book or making a movie about them and even longer before they could come close to saying the've mastered the sai. Most of all though we're worried about what happens when you mix the two reasons we're worried :D

20. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Tsukenshitahaku?? Ever tried that one? Even ura?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.