blade culture

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkalista, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'm not arguing your point cowboy, only your presentation. I believe FMA knifework is top notch as do others here. You have denigrated the Indonesian & Malaysian arts while refusing to answer questions regarding your conclusions, such as do you have any experience to support your claims? Your one note responses to every question raise the question of your age and lack of experience/maturity.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

If I did'nt know better I'd think he was me, talking about the swords/shields and the 300, about 900 posts ago with Pat :D

Gary

4. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

If you really have questions about the true FMA ask the man himself, don't ask me. I can only talk about the losing of the Filipino blade culture, because to me this is the most important. Like I said, mine is not to ask why mine is to do or die. You ask your why's to the right person, not me. And yes I think Malaysian and Indonesian arts are inferior, have you seen any actually use their blades have you seen any with comparable technology to the FMA system which has been researched thoroughly? If so who?

http://fmatalk.com

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I was asking you how you came to the statement that they were 2nd graders by comparison, you know something like personal experience. You failed to answer that one or support your whole inferiority theory with anything, um, like experience. You have been able to borrow from some FMA forum, "300", and "Charge of the Light Brigade" to answer any questions put to you so it would seem that's as good as we'll get.

Congratulations though on posting without using the "f" word. Way to go.

6. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Show me a 'good' Indonesian or Malaysian practitioner, and I'll show that they actually learn from FMA. Now if they were really good, why learn the FMA instead of 'their' art? Because they have no scientific blade technology like FMA, is why.

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

So you're saying all the good Indonesian and Malaysian practioners have tasted the flavor? You are a funny guy.....

8. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

If not tasted it, they know about the flavor. Go ahead name a couple. Name the ones marketing their art as the "Islamic" warrior art. And remember we are talking about the blade here, not Silat or Dumog. Just blade arts.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's precisely what I asked you to do, yes. Now you're catching on. And yet you still haven't actually done it.

Then please do so.

I want to know what you do. So far, all you've said is that you sleep with a sword. That isn't training.

Stuart

10. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

When they see the FMA technology they usually say MAP is an English-language forum. Our policy on the FMA forum is currently to use Filipino-language terms only with an explanation of their meaning, so they don't serve to exclude English speakers. Thanks. --Stuart

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Again, I applaud your passion and unintentional comic genius. Why don't you give ap a break & take your act over to the Silat forum if you are that convinced that Indonesian & Malaysion practitioners are so inferior. Most would argue that Silat is a blade art too, just like many (me included) would argue that the FMA is not just about sticks.

12. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Like I said if you want to ask why's or how's go to the source. If you still think FMA should be softer, safer, and civilized then this is your opinion, and I will be the first to say you are wrong. Again, none have offered names of great Malaysian/Indonesian swordsmen. In the US most Indonesian/Malaysian "martial artists" will trace their techniques to FMA, even the so called "Islamic" ones. In Indonesia/Malaysia their blades are mostly for dancing rituals, it is not to the point of scientifically researched technology as the true FMA. :woo:

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/fma

13. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Well if youre so passionate about the art why don't you learn the language as well? No one should be proud of being monolingual.

apa kabar means how are you in bahasa indonesia

salamat jalan means good journey in bahasa indonesia

ma'a salama is go in peace in arabic (indonesia is the largest muslim country)

rahmatu allah means may god's grace be upon you in arabic

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

You are mentioning this and your signature is about Sparta that at the time of the 300 is like 3000 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta
    Your post:
    The true FMA is the best, period. I'm not going to argue about this. It is the best. Our technology is more than 100 years old.

Me again:

So you are not as old as the Greek and Persian fighting system, but you are the latest and the greatest? I can go along with that. BUT....

I think the guys that hold the dirk and dagger near and dear are in the running also. Because it is not a lost art over in that area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk

I have pasted this before but it is important for history and a time line. The Bronze age was 1100 BCE = "before common era" which was the time of Christ which we are now 2007+ years ago, that is a lot of in-between years. ;)

Edit:

You mention:
    Well if youre so passionate about the art why don't you learn the language as well? No one should be proud of being monolingual
    I'll say: I habla espanol, Poquito
    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/spanish/poquito

Gary :( :eek:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  15. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

The Scots had a blade culture you are right, I loved 'Braveheart' and 'the Highlander' both movie and tv series which depicted the Scots and their blade culture. But I am pretty sure there is nothing there anymore, at least not for public consumption. Try to look for it, I hope you'll find it, while you're there look for Nessy too. Also I am with Sean Connery, the Scots should be independent from the English. Maybe they should think twice about reviving their blade culture if they wish to under take this cause. The true FMA will be happy to assist in this revival.

16. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

Would they be also interested in practical tutorials for the Jedi Knight community?? It shouldnt be too hard to blend your art into lightsaber duelling. :rolleyes:

cheers

17. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

We don't expect TKD types to understand Blade culture. So, I'll let that one go. But BGile is a weapons type and worthy of this discussion. So, Smokey why don't you just read all of BGile's post you might learn something. Don't chime in when you have nothing to contribute, please. :woo:

18. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

:( you cut me deep. PLease forgive my total and utter ignorance! Quite interested to know what you would have done if you Werent letting that go :p

19. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

That's okay, now you know better. ;)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm working on it.

Ako si Stuart. (My name is Stuart.) It's slow going. And who said I'm monolingual?