blade culture

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkalista, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

What are the other 'blade cultures' still alive today? Steve listed them, but they do not compare.

You are using the words obsessive and excessive to described what you are feeling which is culture shock, this is the flavor you can either get used to it or you'll have that gagging effecting until you get used to it. People actually do sleep with their blades in the Philippines.

As for personal experiences whats the use? We're talking about concepts and ideas. The question here is why is it when someone says FMA needs to return to its roots there is resistance? The emphasis has been so much about safety that when someone mentions training with blades there's an automatic resistance almost instinctual that they want nothing to do with blades. This is the signs of the times where people have proxy warriors fight wars for them so there is no need to train for war.

The Arabs once had a blade culture, so did the Romans, Spartans, Celts, Vikings, Japanese, Chinese, Sikhs, the Spanish and the list goes on. All have gone, except for one. Some blade cultures disappeared because they were defeated some did away with theirs for the firearm. Now the Filipino is slowly disappearing because the Filipinos who were tasked with the stewardship of this art have sold out to the weaker of the species who just want to twirl sticks but pay money to do this. There is no flavor of the week in FMA, there is only one flavor and it is bitter.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Perhaps you could go into detail about why they don't compare. If he's already provided the list, it's not sufficient for you to simply say "no."

None of the Filipinos I know sleep with blades. And yes, it is a sort of culture shock. That's right. But I've already explained (repeatedly) how the impact weapon makes more sense in the culture in which I operate. That's a great strength of FMA, that it's adaptive and can offer me the tools I need to address my situation. And my situation doesn't call for me to hit people with swords.

No mate. You are talking about concepts and ideas. But you're presenting them as if there's no reasonable alternative. As if no alternate concept or idea holds water. And I'm telling you, in concrete terms, that they do.

It is a sign of the times. But why is a sign of the times bad? Times change. Needs change. And while I'm all for training with swords and knives as part of a cultural preservation, sticks constitute a relevant and applicable part of the curriculum of FMA.

Okay, let's try this:

Do you ever train with sticks?

If not, how do you train? Do you spar? With what? Forms? Two-person drills? With live blades? How much resistance?

What's your direct experience here?

Stuart

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Threre's been times in my life (in the dim & distant past) when I've slept with a firearm next to my bed. This isn't a good thing, it meant I was scared for my life. In a non war situation why would you want to recreate this experience?

Avoiding trouble and encouraging other people to do the same is a better way than challenging people and accepting challenges in a 'fight to the death' that's just dumb!

I commend you in wanting to continue your countries traditions, don't they have some that don't involve carrying very dangerous weapons around everywhere with every intent on using them.

Bottom right of the screen is a clock, put your curser there and the date should appear.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

5. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Ap, If you scroll back I have described why those other 'blade cultures' are less compared to the Filipino. This is like trying to make blind people watch a Charlie Chaplin silent movie, I give up. Everyone here already knows where the flavor is, we'll see you there. :woo:

http://fmatalk.com

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I just saw that. Basically, you said they were like 2nd graders compared with Filipinos. That's not a very compelling argument.

Stuart

7. Moi

Unless of course you are in the 3rd grade :D

8. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Blades to practice with. Blades with true flavor. :woo:

http://fmatalk.com

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You didn't answer my question about how you actually train.

10. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Bring your Malaysian and Indonesian friends to where the flavor is, maybe they too would like a taste. :woo:

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're avoiding my question. And overusing this "where the flavour is" and John Woo smiley too.

Stuart

12. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Ap, you can't really 'write' about how one trains. Save some money for 2008 and come to where the flavor is, then you will see the true FMA technology. :woo:

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure you can. I can tell you what we do in a typical practice session. It's easy.

14. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

I like Malboros and if you had a smiley face with blades I'd used that, but guns are all you have. I can sense that you are a good man, but there is fear in you. Once you've tasted the flavor the fear will disappear, trust me. Welcome to the true FMA. :woo:

15. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

This is the most ridiculous series of posts I've read in a long time. PTKalista, you're speaking in platitudes that don't mean anything. Stuart asked you in simple langauge what you use to train- specifically whether or not you use live blades. What else does he have to do- write it in crayon? Just tell him how you train rather than popping off about 300 and how hardcore PTK is. And stop using that freakin smiley all the time.

[/rant]

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes, there's fear in me. No shame in that.

And I'm still waiting...

17. Moi

Is it against the TOS to say I think an OP is full of shinola?

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. So don't say that. :)

19. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Well AP, if you tell him you're really dying to "taste the flavor", maybe he'll go enlighten the 2nd graders on the Silat forum with his flavorful comments.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

L O L