blade culture

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkalista, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

And now they have no Blade culture.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

This is a location to explain about the bokken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokken

Gary

3. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

When a people forgets its blades and forgets the very notion that their existence and pride as a people rested on their blades, then they lose. They lose their way of life, they lose their way of war, they lose truth. When you just treat your blade like a toilet paper to be used only when you have soiled yourself, then your blade will lose respect for you and you will die in combat. Why do you think so many Japanese fell at the hands of Filipino fighters? Sleep with your blades do not forget it, do not treat it like a whore to be used only when you feel like it. :woo:

4. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello PTKalista,

Very interesting philosophy.

A weapon is a tool and like all tools used for war or in everyday life they need to be treated with care and respect. My blades, my firearms etc are all well cared for, as well as I would imagine most people who are serious about their crafts (martial arts or otherwise), but I do not treat them as anything else but a tool to an end.

The duels between Musashi and Gonnosuke Katsuyoshi are a famous example of weapons evolution in real time!!! All MA and FMA practitioners should constantly be evaluating their arts pushing them to their limits each and every day. In Sayoc Kali there is a saying.."Not the past, but the future" looking to evolve and stay in the realtime world of conflict always.

Gumagalang
    Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The thing that is not really spoken of much is written about in the book "Miyamoto Musashi" His life and writings by Kenji Tokitsu, it was originally written in French then translated into English.

The timing (edo period starting) was when the sword was being taken away from persons like Musashi (he was not one who had been taken under the wing of a lord) so he was basically a criminal. He used the wooden oar because it was ok to use. The writter mentions that he went into hiding and was not really thought of well it that date and time.

He came out of hiding and started training others and it was a very important era in his life and the Samurai.

Wood became the way, in Japan and similar to the time of the Islands, most had weapons of wood not steel.

Gary

6. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

When oppressors descend on a nation, the first thing that they are sure to get rid of are that nations weapons. People use sticks because they are made to use sticks. Today we have a choice and that choice should be to continue the only blade culture left in the planet (how many Japanese swordsmen do you know who have used his blade, not to cut sushi or to cut his own fingers, but really use his blade?). There is also a saying, Sleep with your Blade or Sleep forever 6 feet underground. Why would a Filipino volunteer to forget his blade? or Is someone else making him forget? :woo:

Why is the idea of continuing our blade culture so offensive? Did not all FMA come from the blade? :woo:

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

It seems that even if they are not oppressors they try to take away the weapons.
    All sorts of reasons are mentioned but the bottom line is they are trying to control the population and establish a nation that will work together to a mutual means of corruption and absolute power desired by the ones in control...Sad really, but true.

The last stand of the Blade people, I am not so sure about that. Much has been mentioned the true blade people are Malay. True the Philippines are full of them also.

http://www.cassmagda.com/Hsilat1.HTM

This is just one of many styles, the FMA arts very good and I enjoy them but are they really as close to the blade as other groups?

Gary

8. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

I think that ,those times we are luck of iron so mostly used wooden weapons and also that someone defeated a great eskrimador .The one who defeated him was an arnisador....

9. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello All,

I would like to add that there are several "blade" cultures still existing in the world.

Filipino
    Indonesian
    Malaysian
    Gurkha
    Sikh

As well as sub groupings in other areas as well. All bring great things to the table.

Gumagalang
    Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ha try Glasgow,
    Every night our hospitals are filled with people using blades for real.

The Bear.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes, I am glad someone else has mentioned the "Sikh", they are an interesting group, very devout and "intolerant of tyranny" to the point of showing what they are made of...

Sikh's, from the Wiki encyclopedia:

Sikhs fought in both World Wars, such as, fighting in disproportionately large numbers, approximately 10 fold,[4] in both World War One and World War Two for the allies in the liberation of Europe and displaying exceptional gallantry and heroism. This resulted in them winning one of the highest per capita number of Victoria crosses for bravery, heroism and gallantry.[5]

Gary

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

LOL, not funny ha ha but funny because I was talking to my grandson who bought a dirk at a fair.
    I explained it was illegal and he should never take it out of his house. Next I explained who I think of when I see one of those, The "Scots" or the Celts to be more exact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk

Gary

13. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

The Sikhs have lost their blade culture, but they still wear their pretty blades. Sikhs get beat up by Hindus all the time in New Delhi, some say that's the reason many have gone to the US and Canada.

The Gurkhas too have lost their blade culture (this is based on looking at the Brigade of Gurkhas training, not their training in Nepal but since "the best of the best" from Nepal join the Brigade that says much). Their Kukris have been welcome in the hands of many Filipino fighters.

Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Of the three the Philippines is the most unstable country with more violence per capita. Malaysia was under Britain and Indonesia was under the Dutch, two European nations who know about law and order. They do have a blade culture, but compared to the Philippines it's like comparing 2nd graders to Ivy League professors.

The Philippines before there were Filipinos, people fought. When the Spaniards came people fought them and themselves, they also fought the Catholic Church, when the Americans came the same happened, when the Japanese came to the Philippines more Japanese were killed than anywhere in WWII, now the Philippines is back to fighting each other.

There is only one blade culture worth talking about. Please do not lose it. If you come to where the flavor is, you will find out the science of the blade. If you want to only finish grade 1 then this is your level, but if you want a PhD in the blade then you know where to go. I only use my rattan stick to hit my dogs when they are disrespectful to guests. :woo:

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi, it seems that what you are saying is if you want to get cut and die come to the Islands LOL.

It use to be... http://www.tedellis.net/See_Naples_Info.htm
    But now it is, come to the Philippines and be a victim :D We would rather cut you, than our brothers.
    Please explain it better, I was thinking about a visit but maybe I'll go to Malta instead.

I was just looking at a picture when I was there and we were restricted from going into town because of the chance of killing someone or being killed.
    Circa 1960 USMC.

So we went to the NCO club and drank beer (San Miguel) and fought each other :D Went back to the ship injured, but not cut up or dying. :cool:

Gary

15. dyak_stone

dyak_stone Valued Member

I agree with you, we should never forget how to use the bolo and the patalim [blade/knife]. However, should we forget how to use the sticks?

Various sword-based FMA do sometimes (or often perhaps?) practice with sticks also, such as Kalis Illustrisimo, Pekiti Tirsia, and Sayoc Kali. This, as evident in videos they have circulating around the net.

In my group, we train predominantly using the sticks, but we do often keep our blade awareness checked. We do train in defending against and in the possible use of blades, but we have no illusions of being knife fighters.

Personally, I do find it offensive when someone tries to grandstand one's self by trying to rely on a supposed pinoy bad ass blade fighter image, which I do not believe has any integral connection at all to the FMA, or our blade culture. To me, our blade culture here in the Philippines simply means that the average local is used to seeing and probably manipulating a bladed implement, and being pragmatic regarding the implications of wielding a blade, and the possibility being known by the community as a "knifer".

What image do we want as FMA practitioners? Bloodthirsty, macho, brutal, no holds barred, flesh rending combat tactical knife killers? I sure hope not.

Filipino hospitality and good nature should warrant us to smile and welcome visitors graciously to our home, while hiding our knives and other weapons from view. :D

16. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Every body knows where the flavor is. If you like to just swing sticks then be a majorette. If you wish to learn the science and a very well researched blade culture then you come to where the flavor is. There is a saying, People who are afraid of the blade swing sticks instead. If you have pitbulls then you know that they can be nice and ferocious at the same time. Sticks are weapons of slaves. The blade is the weapon of the true fighter. If you know how to swing the blade, the stick is just for scratching your back when it itches. I sleep with my blade, do you? :woo:

17. Lily

Lily Valued Member

ptkalista - its interesting to read posts from someone who is passionate about keeping the blade alive.

I don't do FMA but I can understand what you mean, sometimes there are groups that want to go in the opposite direction, those that take the middle road (blade and stick) so I believe we need voices like yours to keep things balanced and keep the pressure on.

18. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

If I was going into a 'field of battle' I'd rather have an H&K MP5 or possibly a PSG1.

If you're into the history and romanticism of blade fighting, that's all fine, but if you're trying to make an argument for practical use in battle you need to stop living in the past.

19. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

We preferred sticks in training in arnis we used the round sticks and in eskrima the garrote(flat-sticks) we do not sleep with my blades I rather choose my sticks.We are trained not to oppressor ,we only used bolos if we do not have any choice.This what FMA does what-ever we hold is a weapons (Italians ,Chinese,Japanese and our own native weapons) :D

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Quoted because it deserves to be repeated. And because quoting is a whole lot more dignified than proclaiming my enduring love for, and desire to marry, this post.

See?

Stuart