Blackbelt Grading Philosophy

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Xue Fang, May 2, 2006.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Our club recently entered several students for their blackbelt exam in April. Over the past few months, I've had the opportunity to see these blackstripes train and hear some of the questions Sabum believed they might be asked at the grading. I was a little surprised, as these were philosophical questions (at the stage I'm at now, philosophy doesn't feature much in our training). The two most frequently appearing questions were:

1) If there were a sixth tenet, what would it be and why?

AND:

2) What is the difference between being a redbelt and a blackbelt?

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything related to these questions, but I'd be very interested to hear what your personal answers would be. That and the blackbelts in my club are keeping their mouths shut tight about what they think the answers are.

I'm also interested if anyone knows/was asked similar philosophical type questions in their blackbelt gradings, what this question was, and what was your response?

2. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

1) confidence, as i feel that that is one of the biggest things i have gotten out of TKD

2) it means when random people/relatives ask what grade you are then when you answer they dont have to follow up with "so how good is that then?". Apart from that it is simply a piece of cloth.

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

another tenet
    Humility

Humilityis necessary to avoid aggression and shows respect for others.

Difference between red and black belt.In my opinion red belst think that black belt is eth ultomate goal whereas black belst know that they are just beginning to learn how to apply the basic techniques learnt at colur belt levels

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

These kinds of questins are very common at the bb grading. I was asked "What are the elements of the theory of power?" at my 2nd Dan pre-grading, and having named them was asked "What would you add as an extra element?"

"Why do you deserve a bb?"

"What will having a bb mean to you?" etc etc

Think it through for yourself, that's the point, then run your answers by your Instructor or on here if you want to.

Mitch

5. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

there should be no sixth tenent, as should no one other the the HIGHEST black belts at the ITF or WTF change the forms. Without geting into politics the uniformity of TKD is what spread it and ppl changeing things on there own is what will be TKD's demise. I'm not saying people shouldn't learn more and try to improve the art. I'm just saying that the lack of uniformity imho kills everything.

whats the difference between a red belt and black belt? Black dye and red dye.

It was explained to me that a 1st dan isn't the end of anything, in fact i was told i accomplished nothing, other then permition to study our art. (you are now looked on as a student and u weren't before.)
    I guess i'm trying to say that the difference isn't all as much as some people make it out to be. No you don't have to register your hands as weapons, no you probibly couldn't kill somone in some "magic tech" you aren't going to be able to block your buddy from hitting you in the back of the head when you aren't looking.

A black belt just means you are a student.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

apparently another common answer for the difference between red & black is experience.
    as for tennets, i like loyalty, because without ur instructor ud be nothing, also i think modesty is important, because it's not that detailed in the tennets. i think u can still keep the tennets n be an arrogant watsit.

ul get given answers to those questions anyway, and ul come to find them out by urself.

7. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

With a greater power, comes greater responsibility :D

8. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Well as for my own response, here it is:

In response to the sixth tenet question, my initial gut reaction was "compassion", because for me compassion defines us as human and without it we are cold to others… and that’s very much in tune with my character, very much so.

However, upon reflection, I came up with "understanding", because knowledge is only facts until understanding gives you the depth to make it wisdom... and because when making a judgement, an unbiased and objective result can only be reached when you understand both sides and the situation... and because without understanding others we cannot feel for them or give them compassion or sympathise with them or forgive them (it is the remarkable ability of humans to put ourselves in the shoes of others that is a big part of why we are so compassionate)... and because misunderstanding has led to so much war and hatred and division and prejudice in the world. So I think I would have to say understanding.

And the question, what is the difference between a redbelt and a blackbelt… The way I see it, fact of the matter is, between a red belt and a black belt, there is no difference except in colour, given interpretation, and indication of rank. The rest in all in the head. Black is just another belt, another waypoint on the journey, not the goal itself, as so many people see it. All of this, my belt, what I have achieved, I had that potential at whitebelt, it was just a matter of practise and learning and doing it, how much you learn and how many hours you put in. If I have the character of an admirable blackbelt, then I had the seeds of it at whitebelt. Which begs the question, if that is so, why are you grading for a blackbelt? And then I should be forced to admit that selfish reasons of self-assurance and recognition of rank must logically be the only reason, as a strip of colour around the waist does not magically change the disposition or skill of an individual.

I do have another, shorter answer though, which I think would be more amusing if I actually said it at my blackbelt grading; the difference between redbelt and blackbelt is having the wisdom and confidence to admit you don’t know the answer to every question. Heh :D

The sixth tenet question is interesting though, because I've found that everyone seems to answer with the concept/quality they seem to value the most, something that really defines their own character. A person's answer to this question is a fantastic insight into their character.

Another question I've heard asked is:

"What is the most important of the five tenets, and why?"

Personally, I've heard it said, and I strongly believe, that there aren't any fixed correct answers to these questions, and they're really only asking to test if you have the right attitude, so a variety of responses are acceptable. Of course, that's just my theory. I haven't actually asked the blackbelt examiners in my organisation...

9. Mitch

There are no fixed answers, it's not even about your attitude, it's to see if you actually think about your TKD or if you just memorise some meanings off a card.

That's why I respectfully think estranged13 has missed the point re a 6th tenet. These questions are not about subdividing TKD or causing schisms, they're about finding out if you're reciting verbatim definitions or whether you have actually engaged with your art and thought about it, intellectually and emotionally.

My answer to the "What would you add to the theory of power?" question was 'heart' or 'intent'. I've seen people do patterns which are technically fantastic, with all the elements demonstrated, but with no purpose, no heart, no intent, no damn cojones! I'm not seriously suggesting that the theory of power needs updating (hey, Mitch-do here we come!), but I am making a point about my perceptions of TKD and my interaction with it and demonstrating that I actually think about it outside class.

And as for the difference between belts? I told my students that passed their red belt tonight that they need to decide now what kind of black belt they want to be; truth is, they should probably decide earlier but I don't like to scare people!

The difference is attitude as well as technique.

It's possible to be a yellow belt blackbelt, who simply lacks the 'vocabulary' to express themselves.

Unfortunately it's also possible to be a blackbelt yellow belt who can express themselves loudly, but it's only "sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Mitch

10. MasterH

MasterH New Member

1) Courage

2) Time in rank, Attitude, has run the gauntlet of belts and his instructor has promoted him from red to black.

11. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

There is no way they will ever give me a blackbelt asking questions like these.

What? You mean there are 5 tenets already? The 6th tenet should be the nullification all other tenets, oaths, and creeds held by the governing organization. It's fundamentally flawed to teach the individual an art that manifests itself as a form of self expression and then restrict that freedom. If the instructor teaches the technique then he must accept that the technique then belongs to the student and may be used to the student's sole discretion with or without external boundries of morality dictating the correct and incorrect application.

It means I just got my belt broke in the way I like it, and now I got to start all over. Sheesh!!! Enough with all the belts already. I got one belt for stretching, two for pullups, one is doubling as a tow strap, and one is tug-of-war toy for my dog. What am I going to do with this one? By the way can I now displace all those idjits who think static stretching is great for warming up? Can I replace the morons who tell the class to do 25 pushups when 80% of the class can't do 5 real pushups? Quantity vs Quality? Can I start teaching the class how to fall so the students don't look like a bunch of wooden planks when they hit the ground?

Power is the change in work or energy over the change in time. Strength and technique are required for acceleration and deceleration. Physical fitness is needed to maintain optimal body mass and composition.

Uniformity and confirmation leads to the death of any organization or society. Thru diversity one finds strength. Thru change comes evolution. Uniformity breeds stagnation. Uniformity is the corruption of the individual.
    I would still be the sum of my experience. My thoughts and ideas are my own interpretation of events relative to my perspective. My theories are near polar opposites to that of my instructors. Then again my instructors were never boxers, boy scouts, Aikidokas, anarchists, or engineers. On the other hand I've never been married, divorced, had children, and only practiced TKD for 3 years vs. 15-20+.

12. Hahaha! :D Ah that made me laugh. That needs to be the 6th Tenet. Stop being crap at Martial Arts! Or maybe the promise that when you become an instructor yourself you'll stop the craziness of promoting 10 year olds to 2nd Dans.

[ :eek: Can't say that about the ITF.]

13. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

I think the sixth tenet should be "Flipping", or is that "Flippiness". Basically something that encourages all students to flip whenever and wherever they can. Flipping out of bed, for instance, is a much more positive start than rolling. And, instead of walking to school, or wherever, we should encourage more of our young folk to start flipping to places.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Dismounting. Kicking people off horses. As often as possible. With flying kicks.

Bigger horse?

15. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

You guys... :rolleyes: Take it back to the "why are korean martial arts so acrobatic" thread. :p

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Don't neck absinthe.

If I break a coloured belts nose I'm clumsy, if I break black belts nose I'm awesome?

It's funnier making BB's tap out?

$250?

3 moths trainning?

Black belts are taller?

Chicks dig blackbelts but don't have a clue what red belt means?

Chicks?

The power of levitation?

Blackbelt is one word, red belt is 2?

A Guiness and a shot of whisky? (But only if your playing "Drink yourslef to Dan")

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You tap people out in TKD?

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Nope, well, yes, I did actually but that was for Self defnce drills.

What i mean is if a TKD BB turns up at my MMA place and I tap him out it's afr far moire satisfying. Actually, I've not done this before to a TKD BB :-(

19. SallyTKD

SallyTKD Valued Member

LMAO!! love it!! :love:

20. Mitch

Where I've trained, yes. It's just not our main focus. I've tapped out a number of people and cried uncle myself a number of times too.

I love the flippant (and rambling, non-sequitor based, pseudo-anarchist) answers to these pretty standard questions. Not being able to come up with something coherent doen't make you smart, it shows a lack of involvement with your art and a failure to think about it IMHO.

Mitch