Black Powder gun kits

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by m1k3jobs, Jul 13, 2012.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Is anyone here involved in building and shooting black powder guns?

I am thinking about getting involved in doing this as a hobby. I also live in New Jersey in the US so if there is any special requirements that are needed to do this I would appreciate a heads up.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I do 15th century re-enactment, and have made a replica of a gun found in the mout of a fortified bishop-farm in Hamar, Norway, dated 1410.

I contaced a local casting-firm that casts metal parts for rolls-royce-offshore, and they thought the project was funny. I made the gun in wood after they gave me advise. I then had them sand-cast it. I payed them 2000nkr (that's roughly 500usd). I had a steel-pipe in the core, to make it safer to use, and I made it with a smaller calibre than the original, retaining the outer measures, making it thicker in the barrel. (The original was 28mm, I made it as a 20mm).

I've never fired it with bullet, but I use around 23grams of black-powder when I shoot it. Here's a picture of the gun, replica in my hand, original behind glass-door: http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/Stolenbjorn/kanonkopiogoriginal.jpg

In norway, you have to do the fireworks-course in order to be allowed to buy and lead a black-powder-group, but the hobby is so small in norway, and there have been so few accidents, that we basically operates under the gouvernment's radar. (In norway, most things are allowed unless you're an idiot)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Thanks for the info. I am just looking into this as it seems really interesting. I'm getting a little old and stiff for the grappling and wanted to pick up something that ties my interest in history with something marital and the chance to build something with my hands.

At this point I'm not as interested in shooting as building but it would be really cool to go to the gun club and fire a gun you made yourself even if it was from a kit.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You may be required to possess a weapons permit to own any type of handgun,even an old single action BP Colts Dragoon.

Best check into that.

Other than that you probably need a muzzleloader stamp on a hunting license to hunt with them.

One of my cousins used to go bear hunting w/his muzzleloader. No thanks.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Thanks, from what I read I going to have to get a permit.

As for hunting, is it legal to hunt bacon?. Hmmmmm, bacon.

Initially I would just like to try building one from a kit. If I like it I may buy one that was made by a company that knows what they are doing to try shooting it.

Shooting one I built would be cool but probably dangerous. :)

6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I have never shot black powder but the hobby really intrigues me. Of special interst are the ball-and-cap revolvers of the Civil War period. In Illinois we have a lot of Civil War re-enactor groups as well as some black powder independents. Seems like most of the folks take a particular point and history and use that as a theme for their practice. Here it may be Civil War or "Frontier Days". If I was back East I suppose it might be Civil War, Revolutionary War or some kind of Early Frontier or "Appalacian" theme.

At one point when I was particularly avid about this I went over to the local Bass Pro Shop and asked about what they had to offer. I was advised that I still needed a Gun Card and that I would be expected to sign for black powder. In fact my understanding is that even if I wanted to grind my own powder I would have to sign for the saltpeter.

Honestly, my best guess is that a fella could save a lot of trouble and heartache by finding a group and hanging with them. Lifes too short to make all of the mistakes yourself and I am sure that, like any other community, Black Pwder people have found a lot of ways to save themselves undue problems with their hobby. FWIW.

BTW: Currently there are two kinds of kits if you want to build your own. One kit is a modern version of the old muzzle loader but had incoporated more modern technology and design.
    The other type of kit is for the purist....er...the wealthy purist. These kits are intended to approximate the firearms of old as closely as possible. My understanding is that one can still find old firearms, purchase them and press them into service. Whether I would trust a hundred year old firearm is anybody's guess. The way my luck runs I'd wind-up with a seeing-eye dog and the nickname "Stubby".

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  7. Bruce W Sims

So how long has this sort of suicidal behavior been in yer family! :)

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I shoot black powder revolvers from time to time, not from kit though, primarily civil war era replica's, because that's what pistol shooting in the UK is nowadays. I've always been a dreadful shot with a pistol (give me a small cal rifle any day) but it's a good way to spend time with my Dad. Lots of smoke and a bloody big bang! Always fun :D

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Most kits just require shaping the woodwork and assembling the firearm. I have faith in your capability to pull that off with no errors.Not as bad as rebuilding a 4bbl carb.

I think the advice on contacting the folks into BP would be a good idea-they'll be to glad offer advice and to tell you what you need to know as far as legalities and red tape.Look up rod & gun/sportsman clubs and the re-enactor groups-Civil War,Revolution,and the mountain men Rendevous groups.

Hunting bacon? Well,ya know what we do to poachers and rustlers.:woo:

However,there is a wild hog epidemic in the Lone Star State. Adventure vacation? Personally,I'm not hunting boar w/a muzzle loader,or a breech loader either!

Don't tch'all fergit boy,long before the standard thirty-ought-six was made this here was the frontier. Watcha think they used back then? Heck,we ain't got no panthers 'round these parts now and it used ta be crawlin' with 'em.

You don't know my cousin. Competes in demo derbies and in flipping cars off ramps. He's even pulled off doubles. Hmm, guess you're right about suicidal behavior. Then again,think I've probably had more brain jarring over the years. So which one of us is really nuttier than Woody Woodpecker?​

10. Bruce W Sims

Who produces your guns in the UK? Or, do you purchase from here in the States? I've heard that there is a HUGE American Old West following in Germany that has developed into a whole industry in clothing, weaponry and events. Whoda thought?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Can't give you that information off the top of my head as I don't own my own, (I move fairly often) but tend instead to use my Dad's and some of the other guys at the club. It's more of a social affair these days, club is only open to original members and their offspring, and they've all been shooting together for going thirty years, black powder since the handgun ban, and handguns prior to it. A couple of the old boys are into their wild west events though, got the outfits and the underlever pistol calibers. Lovely guns to shoot, Even I can whack out a semi-decent group with them!