Black belts going too far?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

I was being instructed by a ju jitsu black belt in the last lesson and he started getting really fast. Don't know if he was trying to impress us but he started putting new techniques on me that were far beyond what we were ready for. Is this something to watch out for?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure it is. Black belts are just people with lots of experience. They're still subject to all the regular human foibles. Including a desire to show off, insecurity, arrogance, and a lack of common sense. Getting a black belt isn't Buddhahood.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Remember, black belts need to practice too! As long as they weren't really hurting you, you may have been their chance to try out some moves on a relatively untrained opponent who didn't know what was coming, just to see if they'd work.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yep, what Moosey said. It's nice being the teacher or the senior grade, but there's weight on your shoulders because people will constantly be looking to you for technique and advice etc.

Also on Moosey's point - there have been times where I've tried stuff out on lower grades and had a complete failure. You gots to take the rough with the smooth!

Although nowadays I usually keep the testing stuff out to the black belts as I play around with locks and 'throws' much more than anything else when experimenting at the mo.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

My black belts have done that with me. When I'd punch at a BB and he'd block then instead of the normal oi zuki he'd come at my throat with a sort of shuto uchi that I wasnt expecting :)

Usually though, they dont do this, they mostly hang around each other. Its not being cliquish or anything - its what moosey said. they need to train too and prefer going at it with someone at or near their own level. They arent trying to be rude or exclude people or anything.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

It depends on how they were doing it. If they were pulling on unfamiliar submissions and not giving you a chance to tap then that may be wrong.

If they are putting you into unfamiliar positions or submissions but not actually hurting you, then that is probably fine.

It's not a prerequisite for you to know something for someone else to try it on you. Even at your own school.

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I dont understand the problem here..

In fact,
    Did you thank him for it?

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

I'd say what level blackbelt? I often times teach a little above the level of the class just incase by chance something sinks into someone that is ready to understand it. I also go fast from time to time, but never with an over application of techinique beyond the students ability to understand what is happening (this is different from their ability to counter, or their ability to withstand pain). I am there to instruct, not show off my own skills.

9. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I don't understand the problem. Maybe explain to us exactly what happened. Because from the sound of it you simply weren't expecting to be submitted

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

when my BB did it to me we grinned at each other. in a thank you without actually saying thanks. :) when he did unexpected shuto uchi he saw my eyes go in that direction, he grinned at me and i grinned back. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  11. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

Yes, I didn't get a chance to tap before he started doing another move.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Before anyone can actually comment, we'd need to know:

What form of Jiu Jitsu?
    What type of techniques?
    Was the BB actually hurting you?
    What level/experience do you have?

13. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

No but it was unannounced and I felt like he wasn't trying to educate or build stamina/courage but say I'm the boss etc. More a feeling or intuition. I'm just asking what's the best way to answer this, like "ok enough" etc

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Just go with it. While he didn't give you time to tap, you didn't need to tap because he didn't put any submission on fully, but instead followed onto others.

It's understandable that you felt overwhelmed, however he is teaching by examples. While you aren't able to follow all his moves, you should focus on doing so, while remaining ready to tap if he does put on a submission properly. Just because you can't follow him completely yet doesn't mean you can't try and still learn something. Basically he his practising himself while still showing you, using himself as an example, of how to move properly.

Now if he is doing it continuously in every class and and not giving you a chance to catch up, and if you don't spar anyone else is a slower manner that is easier to follow, then it could be a problem.

The best way to answer it is to be quiet and try to follow what he is doing and learn by example. Try to emulate his movements. And don't just lay there like a dead fish either, continue to move around with the movements you already know.

If you feel you need to say something, say along the lines of 'hey, can you please do that again, I didn't catch it and it felt pretty effective'.

Note that this advice is taken from what I gathered in your posts so far, if you answer Freeforms questions, it will help even further with advice.