Black Belt Badge

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ShadowWarrior, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

I was looking in the ITF TKD Encyclopedia today and i came across a page showing these badges that black belts have - they were different according to wat -nim(boosabum, sabum, sahyun, etc..) you were.
    I am just curious as to know if i should have one of these as i am a 1st dan black belt. Does anybody else have one? Where abouts on the dobok do they go?

Thanks in advance

2. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

It is customary for Dan students to have a lapel patch indicating whether or not they are an Assistant Instructor, Instructor, Master Instructor etc. The Korean would be Kyo Sa Nim or Sa Bum Nim. I've never seen a Grandmaster patch. My guess is by that stage you don't need one. If students don't know who you are by now, you haven't worked hard enough.
    These patches are only given by your Instructor or with your Instructor's consent. You don't decide for yourself to wear an Assistant Insructor or Master Instructor patch.
    Incidentally, the other terms you mentioned I've never heard of.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd never seen one.

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I believe they are worn on the shoulders as epilates - they determine what rank of black belt you are. Personally I prefer simple uniforms, but if you want to make your uniform more elaborate then its no crime...

5. ShadowWarrior

So i should wear one if i am 1st Dan??

6. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

Nah, it looks wanky!

7. TraditionalTKD

You could wear such a patch if you help teach and your Instructor gives you one or lets you wear one. Generally they are worn over the breast.

8. ShadowWarrior

lol..i dear you to say that to GM Rhee Ki Ha,,, he wears one!
    GM Rhee Ki Ha's is worn on the shoulders...im going to ask our national body president and coach if they know anything about them.

9. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Those terms are the ITF terminology.

Assistant Instructor (1st-3rd Dan) /= Kyosanim, Assistant Instructor = Boosabum
    Master (7th Dan) = Sahyun
    Grandmaster (9th Dan) = Sasung

They actually distinguish between Bosabum, Sabum, Sahyun and Sasung, and yes, are sewn onto the shoulders and displayed like epilates. Your rank is indicated on your belt in Roman Numerals.

It's all a matter of General Choi's military background seeping into the uniform design.

You don't need permission to wear the patches, as they are part of the official ITF uniform. It's technically the dress code. Still, talk to your instructor first.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  10. TraditionalTKD

But why would I want to wear patches epaulette-style when I don't have a military background? Kind of like wearing fatigues when you've never served.

11. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

It's the uniform o_O Wouldn't that be reason enough? Most people around don't have a military background, and plenty of other organisations use epaulletes to signify a position or rank (police, fire brigade, ambulance).

12. ShadowWarrior

Sweet..well i will ask our president and see what he says... oni_sensei do you have them? or does anybody in your club wear them?

13. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

hahaha well he probably wouldn't know what 'wanky' was, so I would probably be safe.

14. ShadowWarrior

Haha,,,i dunno...i still wouldnt try it. lol

15. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

If you want to. :)

16. radishcat

radishcat New Member

You probably shouldn't if you are a member of GM Rhee's UKTA. The handbook states that the epaulettes are usually worn only by the principal instructor at a school. I have seen few people below 4th dan wear them.

17. ShadowWarrior

Well why do they have an assistant instructor badge then?

18. radishcat

radishcat New Member

Epaulettes aren't the same as an instructor badge (which I have never seen in the UKTA). They show only dan ranking, not instructor status specifically, even if they are only generally worn by instructors.

19. ShadowWarrior

So a 1st dan should wear them?

20. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Are we talking about BADGES or PATCHES here?? In the encyclopedia there are pin badges you get once you reach BB, everyone I know has got them at the same time they get there cert.

Patches on the other hand, are patches. As far as I'm aware there aren't really official patches to say your a BB