BJJ: Theory and Technique

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by johndoch, Oct 11, 2004.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

BJJ: Theory and Technique by Renzo/Royler Gracie, Kid Peligro, John Danaher.

Just got this book. Seems quite good although some of the SD techniques are questionable.

Anyone else read it? What did you think?

One question I have is they have broke the techniques section down into Blue belt, Purple Belt etc. with a variety of techniques for each belt. Is this a fair representation of technique that you should have covered and be able to demonstrate for each belt :confused:

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Which techs are the SD ones? I have this book but haven't had a chance to do an 'in-depth' yet.

Col

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

There's a few cross references to self defence but admittedly I've only scanned the book so far as I only got it yesterday.

In the blue belt section it describes the escape from a 2 handed strangulation from the front. The technique given is to drop vertically down by bending your knees, then leaning into the chokers thumbs breaking the grip then step back and pull your head away.

I would have thought that as you go down and lean forward your open to a knee in the jaw :(

4. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

like you, i bought this book and haven't had a chance to go in depth yet. me and a friend both take karate, but at our school, we hardly ever do any grappling work. also, neither me nor my friend have enough time or money to formally take up another martial art, even though brazillian jiu-jitsu is taught in our area. so, i picked up this book, hoping me and my friend might pick up a few useful moves that might make us a little better at grappling. from what i've seen, some of the moves tend to require a certain degree of strength that not everyone has (like the bear hug defense). as for your question about not using a knee to the jaw, it seems this book isn't inclined to use strikes in it defenses.

5. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

book

I just bought this book- cos Im learning some submission myself- and at first glance is impressive.
    The splitting into "belts" is all nonsense since any self respecting blue belt should know all of them anyway- the goal of bjj is to submit your opponant regardless of whether you know 20 or 2000 techniques.

There is a basic guard pass shown in the book that will get you triangled if you dont know what you are doing.
    Regarding SD, what Ive learnt since doing martial arts is that "defences" are always questionable- they are just options-

As soon as you do some real grappling you realise theres alot more knowing a technique than is shown in a book- the dude trying to learn out of a book- get your head out the sand and go to a grappling club my friend- knowing how to move the pieces in chess won't help you win in itself.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Sorry mate but my heads not in the sand as I train grappling at least twice a week.

As I dont train in BJJ specifically, my question is with regards to the contents in the book its breakdown of techniques and why the said techniques are broken down into belts. I am also questioning the self defence aspects shown in the book.

And btw learning from a book is possible when you actually do roll so please dont make daft assumptions about people you dont know

7. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

In the copy I have of that book they point out that it is a very basic guard pass and that it does leave you open, they don't sugar coat that technique. They are just trying to give you an intro to guard passing to start with. That is why it is broken down into belt levels, to deal with introductory to advanced.

Personally, I am not crazy about the way the book is organized but the pictures are great and the explanations are easy enough for even me to follow. I know it is a valuable addition to my BJJ study.

8. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

bjj

JONDOCH

Please read the threads again- :bang: my comments regarding head in the sand - were not directed to you at all - bang:

Theres a review of this book on Bill Lewis website (search in Google) -

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Oops, Sorry mate :eek:

*now writing "Must read threads fully before replying" x100* :)

10. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

wish i had seen this sooner to comment. anyway, i'm not that stupid. i know the results of overrelying on a book to try and learn stuff, i've seen it enough in other people. all i said was i can't afford formal lessons and i wanted to IMPROVE my grappling. me and a friend free grapple from time to time, and i realize that i could learn every move and that book, and even reach the point of being able to make several of them work on a regular basis and that if i were to walk into a school i'd still be lucky to hold my own to a blue belt. but for $30 and spare time, that would make me a hell of a lot better than if i didn't do anything at all for my grappling.

now, consider the two choices: my approach or no grappling at all? that's what my choices are narrowed down to and frankly, i think anything's better than nothing.

11. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think you could have some quite beneficial study by practicing these moves with your friend that you mentioned, as long as you're VERY careful.