BJJ or Wrestling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by cluebird, Nov 13, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

Next year I will be going into highschool and am wondering what martial arts would be the most beneficial to becoming a well-rounded fighter. I already do Judo and love it, and when I go to high school, I will either join the wrestling team, or start cross-training BJJ or Kickboxing with my Judo.

Any opinions on what to go for?

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

wrestling

pros

1. its free

2. great base for all sports....ever notice how many mma fighters start as wrestlers.....there is a reason

3. jocks git all the chicks (at least they did when i went to high school)

4. you will work harder than you ever worked before.....really the hard part is not quiting in the first 30 days
    everthing else in life will be easy

me...basic training, ranger school.....easy after a season of wrestling

5. look at it practically ......you have your whole life to take bjj.....you can really only wrestle in highschool and maybe college

if you really want you can do bjj the rest of the year wen it aint wrestling season

3. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

and the judo will help you out too.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'll second the wrestling. It's just a great place to start, no matter what you get into afterwards if you don't stick with it. My teacher in swordsmanship started out as a wrestler and it served him well in his martial studies.

But it all comes down to what you want to do. Try both and see what you get more out of. Give any art a fair shake when you start it for that matter, unless it's obviously bogus e.g. "here's how you, if unarmed, can defeat three knife-weilding attackers at once without taking a scratch" :)

-Mark

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

for the love of god, wrestle while you can. bjj will still be there when you get back.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Wrestling, definatly.

While I was training in Thailand, a Greco Roman wrestler came to train with us. Not ONE of the pro muay thai guys (1 a world champion) could clinch with him properly. He completly dominated them. While he got the crap beaten out of him outside of the clinch, its still a very important part of standup to learn.

7. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Gotta go with wrestling

8. Theoden

Theoden New Member

Don't flame me because I'm a newbie to MA, but doesn't BJJ have the advantage over wrestling because BJJ allows submissions and other moves which wrestling doesn't? It also takes a very long time to achieve a high grade in BJJ so why not start early and save time?

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

because he's in high school, can wrestle for free, and it's a great base style. wrestlers and former wrestlers tend to kick ass in tournaments. do the free art now, while availible, then pay to study something else later.

oh, and if you're any good, it could turn into scholarship $$$$ later on, yet another reason to train it now instead of BJJ.

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Nk,
    Just out of curiosity what weight was the greco guy who dominated the thais in the clinch?.

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I was gonna say take BJJ because it is cooler, but maybe these other cats have it right.

12. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

"cooler"? :confused:

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, BJJ is like, you know, like more awesomer.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Wrestling offers different skills to BJJ, so they compliment each other well, and as people have said, it's free and the best time to do it, so wrestling is the way to go at the moment.
    The clinchwork and takedowns in wrestling are light years ahead of what you'll find at most BJJ clubs (hence why groups like Brazilian Top Team have wrestling coaches), and it will give you awesome conditioning. It may also give you access to a catch teacher, in which case you won't even neeed BJJ.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Seeing as how I was recently banned for simply posting a photo of someone wearing a wrestling singlet... I don't think I'll risk commenting further in this thread. :D

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

The wrestling singlet was not the issue mate, the fact you could see the guys genitals WAS the issue.

So let's go back to keep the thread on topic, and not derailing with factually incorrect, off topic chit chat?

Thanks

17. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Indeed. I should start looking for one.

-Mark

18. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

But if I'm not even looking for wrestling on the basis of conditioning, then would you say wrestling or BJJ would complement my Judo better, and which would make me more well-rounded.

Also, wrestling is not available past uni, so wouldn't it make more sense to start at something I can continue past HS or uni? Or do you think the skillsets learned in wrestling would readily cross over to other training and not be lost?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  19. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I do BJJ now. If I could go back to when I was in HS and choose between starting BJJ then or wrestling. I'd choose wrestling. Finding wrestling out of HS is a lot harder than finding BJJ out of HS. Please do wrestling. For me.

20. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

That's not necessarily true and like everyone has said 100 times already, the attributes you may acquire will help you in a myriad of ways later.