BJJ Movie Redbelt

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stevebjj, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Has anyone else heard about this? It's a David Mamet film about the world of BJJ/MMA called Redbelt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixr1tYcGoY"]David Mamet talking MMA film REDBELT - YouTube[/ame]

I wasn't sure what to make of it, but it looks like there's money involved, so it won't be completely low budget. I don't know what it'll turn out like, but I'm very interested.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Looks interesting... and then David Mamet opens his stupid gob....
    making some silly comments on boxing and tries to make it sound like boxing is dead and it's been taken over by MMA. Sorry but someone forgot to tell all the boxing fans and boxers. Someone forgot to tell the Golden Gloves fighters that Golden Gloves was cancelled. What an ignorant clown. :bang:

Boxing and MMA can and have existed in the same world. Someone forgot to tell that bozo that they're two separate sports. Not an either or proposition. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

He's marketing his movie. There are many people who feel the way he does.

Mainly, I got the sense that he's drawing a parallel between the old boxing movies of the 20th century and this story. Idea being that MMA is to the 21st century what boxing was to the 20th.

But regardless, I think it's interesting. I just hope it's well done.

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hey guys. I'm still looking forward to this one. The trailer is out and the movie is due to be released in April.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/redbelt/30128/main

Could still suck, but looks a heck of a lot better than Never Back Down. :D

5. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry Warrior

yea i was just gonna post this, but figured u guys already had it posted before i did :) it seems like a good martial arts flick, the humble samurai code self defense guy needs money, so he goes in a fight, but keeps his values too, idk seems cool. idk about never back down though...i can just sense a whole new brand of MMA McDojos coming from this one lol :cool:

6. slix

slix Valued Member

So this comes out on Friday anybody gonna see it opening w/e? Usually as a rule I wait a month before seeing a film but I might make an exception with this one. I'm excited to say the least. ^.^/

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Nope - gonna skip it and catch iron man.

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

It's not playing in my area so I am going to check out Iron Man as well.

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I don't get to see too many movies in the theater, but this one AND iron man are on my list of things to do this weekend. :)

10. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

Just so everyone knows besides Randy Couture,John Machado, Renato Magno and Enson Inoue are in the movie

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There are 2 trailers up.

The first trailer focuses on Chiwetel Ejiofor's character as a JJ expert, saves a endangered Tim Allen and his training ideas are stolen for the use of a gimmick in a MMA comp.

The 2nd trailer is nearly a completly different movie, almost no mentioning of any training, it focuses more on relationships between the characters. (and more of a David Mamet movie)

trailer one

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LlkIRIQeuc"]REDBELT trailer - YouTube[/ame]

trailer 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_L-riL5ik"]REDBELT trailer #2 - YouTube[/ame]

The 2nd trailer cinched me into watching this movie. But Iron Man still comes first. :D

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Too bad its only playing in New York and Los Angeles.

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

14. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

If it is rubbish you can just leave the cinema. You don't have to sit through it, there's always an escape...

15. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Im actually looking forward to see this one.
    This actually looks pretty good, considering other martial arts movies go to crap EGHAGHERGEHneverbackdownEERHEGREHGE

16. slix

slix Valued Member

Yah I def. wanna see Iron Man but I don't go to big ticket releases within like a month of their release... I don't like crowded theatres... I figure RedBelt won't be crowded opening w/e so I'll probably see it prior to Iron Man.

I wonder if it will influence my decision about starting BJJ or Judo this month. XD

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sqggDDXUwC4

What it only for Amber Heard:love:

18. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

David Mamet is a good director.This could be a good one worth watching.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wow, this is a problem -- LA Times article said it was only released in SIX theaters for opening weekend. :eek:

20. slix

slix Valued Member

Well 6 theaters on it's limited opening or this friday when it's nationwide?
    Either way seems sorta slim...