BJJ in JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by KaliKuntaw, Jun 7, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

How many of you who dabble in JKD teach BJJ in class?

I do not teach BJJ, i dont have any rank in BJJ nor do i pretend to.
    I do however use Ju Jutsu in class and some Judo.
    When i went through my PFS material we worked on some BJJ but not to a point that we can compete with the real players.

Anyway, the point of this post is to get peoples opinion on adding BJJ to a JKD curriculum.
    And if so do you still teach Chi Sao and Gung Fu or have you abandoned the Gung Fu for Muay Thai and BJJ as is the trend?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I teach "grappling" which does include some BJJ. As for chi Sao, yep I teach it and same with Jun Fan.

Singh is adamant about us learning the full spectrum of JKD so we can reject our own stuff - he trains weekly with Marcel Louzado for his grappling, I tilt more towards CACC style for mine but will pretty much steal anything

As for integrating, I tend to teach it separately in a grappling class and don't teach "basics" in JKD - it takes too long otherwise and there is enough to get into without learning a whole new style

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  3. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I have been concentrating more on the pugilism side of training for years but have always worked on lock flows and such.
    However with the trend to play grappling in every school i started seeking out some more experienced people to roll with. The people i roll with have been more on the Gracie side of things. I have never liked grappling but you know, you gotta do the work.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm more standing grappling, locking and wrenching.

I have takedowns, but don't have a very good ground game other than some basics.

I will also steal anything I see of worth.

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Yes, that is how i see it, Simon.
    I always tell folks if i get taken down and fear getting stomped, im poking someone with my folder. I roll so that i can get back up. But when i was doing security my lock flows and chokes were invaluable.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I grapple as a separate discipline, but within JKD my grappling's purpose is to prevent me being beaten by a grappler

I was speaking with my SIfu the other week about his grappling (he trains with Marcel Louzado in BJJ whereas I tilt more to CACC these days) and I asked him how good Vu's groundgame actually was.

He told me that in terms of submissions he is about a purple belt level. This suprised me, but he went to say "In terms of his defense and escapes he is easily black belt level"

Vu didn't want to "out BJJ the BJJ guys"; he wanted to know enough BJJ to stop THEM "doing BJJ" to him

Sometimes the ability to interrupt someone playing their game gives you the window where you can employ YOUR game

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I took a rat class and learned some good stuff.
    A lot of seminars ive attended have used bjj principles and catch as catch can but my initial exposure to Ju Jutsu was via Koga Ryu as a kid. I like training grappling in small doses but have really enjoyed learning how to stay calm and keep my arms in close. Most things can be figured out if one can detach the mind from getting nervous and frozen in thought.

8. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

^ That is pretty interesting.

9. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

If you're going to add anything to any curriculum it behooves you not to "dabble", but to actually do the work and learn it.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You do realize what "koga ryu" is don't you.

11. jkdberlin

jkdberlin Valued Member

I teach BJJ and I teach JKD - totally seperate. Although I teach some Groundfighting in my JKD classes, sometimes even with the help of a Gi to mimick street clothing, the goal in JKD is to get up and get away while in BJJ to stay on the ground and win the match by submission or points. Different goal - different agenda.

12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

My experience with my present training is more on the Gracie JJ side.
    But as i said before, it is mostly as a way to defend and escape grappling.
    I am not a grappler and do not have the training of my teachers but i attend any and all grappling seminars i can. I started training with some MMA folks but only as a "study" of good stuff.