BJJ Competition Fears

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Mangosteen, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hey guys,

I've signed up for a comp (5 weeks away now) and I'm having freak outs.
    I've been fine in rolling but this week i haven't been able to train (family commitments) and i've been really anxious. I feel like i cant remember anything. like i don't remember basic escapes and i can feel random adrenaline dumps every time i think about competing.

I have a big fear i'll get takendown, passed and just pinned for the entire round. just stuck in bottom position.

I feel like it's because i've been at a new club that doesnt drill much so i haven't had much chance to drill sequences or specific positions or techniques (it's about 15 minutes drilling, 1.5 hour rolling).

I did have some anxiety last I position drilled side control escapes - i felt like i couldnt remember what to do and couldnt make space.

I've also lost my phone that had my playlist on, in the past when ive felt anxious about training i would play that playlist and it would calm me down but man i'm freaking out now.

Also i need a new competition legal gi!

HEEEELP

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pull guard, then your golden!

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You have done a bit of judo and wrestling I think? you will be fine,

And if you get takedown and pinned so what? Just shows you areas you need to work on!

Its just bjj it's not MMA it anything like that just think of it as another tough roll

Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If you get pinned, thats fine. Its submission grappling, its not a loss. Dig those knees in and shrimp and get that half guard or guard. Then start working.

You're above average strength for your size, so they'll be suprised when they start to get pushed around.
    So as soon as he comes forward, grab em and chuck em. And ugly throw is still a throw.

Mangosteen and axelb like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Frame and shrimp. That's 90% of escapes right there. Frame across the face, shrimp and make space, then take up said space.

What belt you competing at?

Also, what mushroom said. Pinning is not a loss. It's just a position to work from.

Also can you send me a link so that I can consider signing up too (if it's in Scotland)? :p

Mangosteen, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If it's a BJJ Gi comp, it's far more likily they'll pull guard, try to sweep you, and go from there, there's normally lots of bad judo/wrestling going on at white belt too, you can control that by controlling the collar grip fight, and then hit your wrestling /judo game, but being aware of their guard pull.

The fight limiting factor in grassroots Gi bjj is usually the guard pull/grip fight for the guard pull, control that and you'll end up beating people who are much better then you are.

Ps read the rules!!

If it's ibjjf

IBJJF - International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Mangosteen, axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Never in the rules says "Running spear tackle is illegal" :)

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm sure most of what you drill in class fits to ibjjf ruleset, but worth drilling only things you can do in competition.

Have you competed before this recently in BJJ?
    Worse that could happen realistically is you figure out gaps in you BJJ to work on.

I imagine it's hard to undo some things from judo or wrestling that don't work so well in BJJ competition format.

Most of all good luck and I hope you enjoy the day.

Attached Files:

Mangosteen likes this.
  9. Mangosteen

5th Annual Scottish Cup of BJJ

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

11. Mangosteen

I've been spear tackled/running double legged at a interclub comp before.not fun!

Yeah I trained today and just stuck with standing stuff, theres a lot of hesitation on my end and not enough assertiveness in dictating the pace standing or attempting techniques.

Ive been working on framing and reguarding today too so i feel better but I got kimurad when in top side control after passing (entirely my fault) but it felt crap to get subbed so stupidly.

I need to keep pushing my comfort zone.

Also I'm 74kg now! I have lost quite a bit of weight.

Mushroom, axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  12. Mangosteen

Pretty in pink - my Club calls me a traitor for being friends with you hahhaa

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

At 74kg you'll be the strongest in the category hands down.

Yeah I'm not surprised. All in good humour though, I know I'm welcome whenever. You guys are about to get good yoga too I see!

Mushroom and Mangosteen like this.