BJJ and FMA or Silat?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by windtalker, Dec 9, 2007.

1. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Does anyone here on MAP blend thier BJJ training with something like Sikal or Kali? What difficulties existed and how compatable were the styles? This is a route I've been considering lately and have been asking these questions in hopes of answers that might provide outlook for subject.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I train in Dog Brothers Martial Arts and we incorporate BJJ into our Kali curriculum.

With the eye towards using BJJ grappling to suppliment our Kali, IMHO, we have to look at a few points:

1) The use of strikes (including slaps), the Kali striking set can be a bit different from straight up MMA. Too many BJJ practitioners who are 'training for MMA' forget about striking and get too caught up in only attacking using submissions.

2) The use of weapons, whatever flavour of FMA you do will determine the weapon/s (be it a barong, stick, palm stick or knife). The use of a weapon can totally screw up many responses which would be 'correct' in an empty hand fight. We often roll with one or two sticks present and lightly 'ding' each other and look for striking (weapon or EH), submission or stick-submission techniques.

3) 'T3h 5tr33t' or multiple opponent situations, in which we can't allow ourselves to be tied up on the ground.

I love BJJ and I love Kali, but there are definately ingetration issues between the two.

Hope some of that helps :)

3. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

having a weapon involved has changed my ground game for the better (though it's still not that great :rolleyes: )

as Formy say's a stick gives you new things to consider, things that were viable before hand are now a hazard to your health (as I discovered when I tried a leg lock at my 2nd Gathering only to get a stick in the face for my troubles), and new openings appear which weren't there before.

It made me a lot more aware of the surrondings as you never know when your going to roll near a stick that was lost earlier in the fight. Another thing that a weapon tends to bring out is the opening back up of distance, which can allow one or both players to get back to their feet.

For all the difference though, I feel the 2 arts work well together

4. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Absolutely BJJ can blend in with many arts very effectively and give you a new edge. Kali, Arnis, Silat, Budo Taijutsu, etc. All can blend in with BJJ or good quality Judo with grappling emphasized. Provided the operating system of the individual is up for the challenge! :cool:

I particularly enjoy grappling and looking for blade deployment points whether it be a folding knife, fixed knife or my favorite a push knife. Learning to grapple with weapons effectively opens up a whole new world! :cool:

Great thread!

5. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Not to send thread in a bad direction yet was curious what the concensus was about using grappling to counter weapons as opposed to using striking to counter the same.

The idea of passing or jamming the weapon to follow up with strikes has some appeal yet I've often fared better with using grappling to deal with the problem at hand. The possibility of doing both exists yet when faced with the situation there has to be a decision carried out how to best respond.

6. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

watch out he's got a knife!

and its never be great, thats the reality. Its suppose to be ugly :D . The thing is, you need to train to "see" before he even pulls out that knife or grabs that broken bottle. When you fail to "see" it, then you know you have a fight on your hands. I train in a soft little school ;) of the Bujinkan called Shinden Fudo Ryu, which I find compliments my BJJ in this area of weapons on the ground.

paul

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I've occasionally done "rolling with a knife" where I gave my opponent a rubber knife, and then tried to jits them and get a disarm/submission (generally a keylock, which can serve both purposes). It's fun stuff - it really makes you pay attention to controlling your opponent's hands at all times.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

But do you allow strikes? ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I haven't done much in that regard so far, but I don't see why I shouldn't next time. ^_~

10. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Try using a kimura grip to stab them with their own knife in the side while yelling "why do you keep stabbing yourself? why do you keep stabbing yourself?"