BJC v BJA

Discussion in 'Judo' started by brown belt, Jul 14, 2004.

1. brown belt

brown belt New Member

I have known great rivalry between these two assosiations for along time now, i am BJC myself but i have started going to a BJA club for competition practice as my club is too small to offer a variaty of different people to compete with. it seems there is a real oposition in the north of England between the assosiations with the BJA coaches refusing to let thier students come to one of our clubs. I also find it unfair that BJC players must be forced to join BJA before we can enter in the olympics or other major games. i was wondering if anyone else shares these views or can shed some light on the subject.

thanx

2. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

i dont like the rules either! i am BJA, but my coaches dont object to us trining at a BJC club, since we used to be BJC. When we were forced to change (by senior members of the club), the BJA wouldnt recognise our kid's BJC grades, so although we are BJA, my coach actually prefers BJC rules. The BJA is out to make as much money from judoka as possible, or at least that's how it feels.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think the BJA is actually out to try to enforce their standards down the whole line. Being the national governing body for Judo, it is their responsibility to enter candidates for the Olympics, and they will only do so based on competitors they know and who are ranked accordingly in their system. You can't blame them for covering their own back in that way.

Personally I respect the differences in style. The BJC from my perspective seems to be about keeping the art of Judo alive, while the BJA focuses on the sport. I truly see no real reason for the intense rivalry between the two.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

An interesting thing to note is that JudoScotland are currently getting BJC instructors in to teach Dan grades kata, as they are going to be added to the Scottish Dan syllabus.

Col

5. Judo_Goddess

Judo_Goddess New Member

Im with the BJA and have been to a few BJC competitions and some of my friends have as well, we have found that if the ref's are BJC or the whole competition is BJC, then they are very biast towards the BJA players. i was watchin friend fight at a BJA event and the ref that was on his mat was a BJC ref, and i seen that the ref had said Matte so, that he could do his belt up, but while he was doin his belt up the refs allowed the other player to go and attack and gain a 7 point score. also in the same competition on the same matt with the same ref my friend was fightin and he counted the other player but they gave the other boy a straight ippon.