BJ Penn vs George St Pierre

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Taff, Feb 8, 2006.

?

Who do you think will win?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2006.
  1. Penn

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. St Pierre

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

what fight did you watch??
    gsp = punching, takedown ( 1 by hughes slam), kicks
    bj penn = punching, takedown defence (but not all of them)

bj did all his damage to his opponent in 1st rd, so he wins that rd.
    gsp won the next 2 rds by way of accumulating points ( leg kicks, punches and takedowns)
    just because penn didnt look worse for wear, it doesnt mean gsp's shots dont count for points.
    The crowd were booing because of the usa vs canada card being fought in u.s. and the u.s. opponent lost.

2. mmaone

mmaone New Member

i just saw it on mytube and GSP took it hands down. He was the agressor! Slams, nice kicks, etc.. Props to GSP i guess he will wanna fight winner of Royce V Matt in a few months.

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

to be honest, i wanted gsp to win, but not like that. it seemed to me that penn pretty much controlled the entire fight. even when gsp managed to get a takedown, penn contained him very effectively and didn't take very many clean hits. i wish it could have been a more decisive victory, but i think that penn is just a better fighter overall.

4. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Good post Skrom, The reason I stand by my views of the fight is simple , even though gsp did take bj down three times (out of like ten attempts) bj still controled the tempo,contained his gaurd then defused the situation and stood the fight back up evry single time. Again gsp won because he was the more aggressive fighter,not because he was the better fighter.

Bj would have won if he wasnt so keen on knocking gsp out.
    Oh well, It's nice to atleast see the levels in the weight classes go up a notch.

5. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

If BJ had took it down to the ground then he would have won. In the times that GSP took BJ, GSP was in danger the whole time from BJ's submission attempts. I just wish the judges wouldn't score takedowns so highly when they don't even do any damage.

I'm a big GSP fan, but an even bigger BJ fan, and I'm really disappointed that he lost. Good thing my spirits were lifted by the Franklin vs. Loiseau fight :)

6. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Penn controlled the fight? Seriously, were we watching the same fight? Penn controlled the first round, but it was GSP who pushed the pace for the next two, who scored the takedowns. The standup exchange for the next two rounds was fairly even. Penn had one solid submission attempt in all the times GSP took him to the ground, the omoplata or gogoplata or whatever, and what happened? GSP not only escaped it, but tagged Penn hard with an elbow.

I just get sick of hearing these excuses by Penn fans. "Penn would have won if" Problem is, Penn didn't do any of that. The one time Penn tried to take it to the ground, GSP stood up. Penn lost, fairly squarely. GSP was the better fighter that night. Penn didn't do anything in the final two rounds to warrant a win. He was gassing by the third, as we saw by GSP's slam of him in the final minute of the round. Actually, what I thought was three takedowns, turns out be more like four. I forgot St. Pierre took Penn down twice in the second round. Penn is a phenomenal fighter, but GSP won that fight.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

GSP won this one but it was a close call.

I think the clinch work from GSP controlled the 2nd and 3rd giving him the decision in the end.

8. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

9. levgirl

levgirl New Member

BJ PENN V. GSP

BJ ALL THE WAY!!!! WE LOVE HIM AND HE CAN KICK GSP'S BUTT!

10. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

That was some major thread necromancy you just did there.

11. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Well I guess the topic is actually relevant again, can't wait! :)