Billy Robinson home coming tour

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Gripfighter, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNaWMpBjdp8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNaWMpBjdp8[/ame]

Billy Robinson returning home to visit famous catch locations and old friends as well as giving a few seminar's, good watch.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

30 minute mark you can see my back side lol good seminar he is a very good coach

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

are you in the clip at the aspull ice or the mma gym after it ?

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

at leicester shootfighters MMA gym, 30.37 to be precise lol, white t-shirt and black ankle and knee protector on the right leg, he has a lot of knowledge and skill, shame the art is to all purposes dead

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I know its a well flogged dead horse talking about it but it really is a shame that something that was such a big part of European heritage and is arguably the best foundation for fighting is just gone, that goes for wrestling as a hole not just catch. Especially at a time when more people than ever want to learn to grapple.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The only way catch will survive is through CSW, Scientific Wrestling, or if Billy Robinson stays alive for another 30 years. The first two are slightly basterdised forms too, because they take into account the Guard.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep shame it happened but once it went down the show and fake route it was doomed,
    wrestling as a whole isnt dead in Europe, but in western Europe its hard to find and in the UK its an endangered species lol

My coach is is trying to breath life into it, teaching freestyle wrestling under kenny johnson and training with Billy a lot, and others are also trying but its an uphill struggle the best you will get is submission grappling clubs with an emphasis on takedowns and clinch if you are lucky,

8. Pretty In Pink

Our school teaches CSW, our wrestling is okay ^^

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its good that your club is working wrestling and I wasn’t implying other clubs weren’t, simply saying that in my experience if you go to a submission wrestling or no gi club in the uk the vast majority of the training you will see will be ground based and submission based
    On the ground you probably wont see much use of spiral rides to break the guy down, front head locks to turn overs wont be worked as much as they would be in a freestyle class: you wont see a whole class spent on the finer details of the front head lock, how to apply pressure to move the guy, stretch him out, turn overs such as the bow and arrow, gator rolls, quarter nelson etc which are staples in wrestling probably wont be covered much if at all

Clinch wise you will typically see underhooks whizzers the body lock taught, but how often will you see a typical sub class spend two hours on the Russian 2 on 1? on how to set it up, defend it and various takedowns from it. How many will spend a class on the stance, working it endlessly up and down the mat ensuring you have the correct mechanics, or a class on simply head pummelling for superior position? How many will teach a whole class around the single neck tie, showing how to set it up, how to control your opponent with it along with bicep or wrist control, how to snap down into singles doubles and high crotches?

Like wise upper body takedowns probably wont cover suplexes, fireman carries, lateral drops, cradle takedowns and other staples of free style

Lower body take downs will not normally include ankle picks, knee taps, high crotch lifts

Im not saying the above isn’t taught in some places, but its far and wide and I cant see it changing to be honest and your typical British sub wrestling class wont cover a lot of what I mention above, and certainly not in the depth a freestyle or folkstyle class would in the US

10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Just to put it out there that Steve Morris covers that and more for NHB fighting ,in his sessions in the UK (London and Gloucester) or for anyone who wants to organise a seminar.

11. Pretty In Pink

I am just hoping against hope that it gets a massive revival.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Steve has a catch background?

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Me too. And it's coming along. At the last WMAW, there was a Catch workshop by Les Moore that I participated in. One of the coolest things I've ever done.

Best regards,

-Mark

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

A no holds barred fighting background.
    As in what causes damage and works in a no holds barred fight ,which includes elements found in Catch and other Sub wrestling styles.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not the same thing as being a CACC coach though is it? I include many BJJ techniques in my syllabus, but am not a BJJ coach

As good a Steve may be at othe things, he is not a catch man

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thats a no then.

17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Definitly.
    I never said he was a Catch as can coach,I said elements of Catch as can that work and cause damage in NHB fights are covered.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

If you are in the UK and want pure Catch as can for the sake of it being catch as can to use in Catch as can rules fights, then its a no.

If you want to train for NHB fighting that includes elements of Catch as can then its a yes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There are countless others that can lay a far stronger claim to MMA efficacy though

The question was for CACC not MMA

20. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Its personal opinion I guess

I was just pointing out that I never mentioned him being a Catch as can coach at all ,just that elements of Catch as can are covered.
    Talk of it being rare the UK just prompted me to put it out there that there is someone covering elements of it, all be it for NHB fighting.