Biggest Loser-Fad or Fact

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Currently my office is having a Biggest Loser Contest. We had this a few years ago. It seems that the same people participating back then, are participating now. It will seem, that this is more of a "look at me" or "get a prize" contest than that to lose weight, and keep it off

What are the pros and cons to this?

2. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Unless it's medically supervised, I see the possibility of liability here.

And losing weight is not only about dieting. It's about a lifestyle change.

3. 47MartialMan

People are split into teams, then the Biggest Loser from each team compete for another prize.

I am constantly walking by and hearing people who are doing it. Team members are talking to each other like parents to children: giving advice, telling each other what to eat or do.

I feel like leaving brownies and doughnuts in the office kitchen

4. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Those where I work are usually conducted in a manner that involves either Weight Watchers enrollment or supervised by an outside health organization of some sort. I've experienced the same, most people that join are repeats. I think a lot of them have the desire to lose weight, but lack the discipline to make the permanent adjustments that are required to be successful in keeping weight off long term.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

You Americans have curious work rituals. Here we just dress up like in costume every other week for charity.

6. 47MartialMan

And this is not a curious work ritual? :evil:

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The biggest loser TV series disgusts me.

people with an obvious weight problem open themselves up on TV, get shouted at by drill sergeant presenters only to be told they have failed to make the target and have to go home.

Bad luck fatty, you lose. Now go home and continue to fail.

Disgusting.

How about something that celebrates and supports success at every level, not just for the winner?

Just a thought.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Geez, dude, if people are trying to do something to get healthier, why do you have a problem with it?

And why would you want to actually do something so negative as to try and thwart their good intentions, instead of encouraging them?

How about either leaving them something healthy in the office kitchen or at least just staying out of it? Really? Sabotaging others who are trying to be healthier? Why would you even think that? That reflects really poorly on you IMO.

If you don't think they are doing it effectively, do something productive and constructive to help- don't just tear them down. At least they are trying...........

I can only hope you are not like this in other aspects of the office environment.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Yes, it is illogical. It would make more sense if they kept the ones who are failing and only let them leave the show when they made a demonstrable commitment to lifestyle change. If they wanted to make it a competition they could make the last one in spend the final week in an intimate retreat with Piers Morgan or something. As the programme stands, it is more to do with fat-shaming than helping people.

10. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Offering a light MA based lunchtime workout would be a splendid idea, well volunteered 47MartialMan!

11. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Where's the fun in being supportive?

It's no different to any of the other "reality" programmes on TV, point and laugh at some people, feel sorry for others (cue the sad back-story and "emotional" music).

12. 47MartialMan

Because they get into bad attidues and mood swings about it

Because it is about self- control....why should those not with the program have to suffer as well? Why not leave these out for others to enjoy

Boo hoo. They are a bunch of "look at me" "win a prize" do-gooders who once its all over, they are back to the way they were...

They are not trying...if they were, they will do it year round and not wait for a "contest"

I am all for office morale. But this weight thing has gotten people bashing and hovering over each other in bad ways

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Really? Because it sounded like you wanted to leave out sweets just to spite them. that is the way you presented it. Not the way you are talking about it in that last post.

Tell me, have you made a habit of bringing sweets for your co-workers in the past for others to enjoy?

I think you are awfully judgmental about your co-workers. No, I don't think prize incentives are the best way to encourage someone to make a lifestyle change. But anytime anyone is encouraging better health, it is better than nothing. If you think it could be done better, be a force for positive change.

You are coming across as thinking you are better than them - and pretty smug about it at that.

Like what karatebadger said, offer a MA based workout and guide people in the right direction.

I am glad you aren't in my work environment.

14. 47MartialMan

FYI-The teams are leaving out sweets to fight the others. NOT Spite-no matter what I "would said I liked to do", it is sarcasm (HENCE my WORDS in that post "I FEEL LIKE")

Yes. Get off it, you are getting too literal

It isn't about encouraging health, it is about "look at me and a prize"

Better? No, I do not need a contest and a prize- to set my goals..and more importantly, keep them set

Bullocks! These are snarky people with the goal to be "look at me" and get a prize. If they really wanted to, they could have been doing this before a contest and prize

Same here-mutual

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And you know that, because...?
    Or did everyone come to you, saying: "Oh, I do that, so people look at me!"

And people who might an incentive to start that are not as good as you?
    Maybe some people need a reason or a little nudge to get started.
    It is worth a try after all.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm with Simon, that show is one big contradiction.

If it's a little friendly comp that just happens to be at work, don't see an issue with it.
    I have a lot of girls at work asking me how to lose weight and when I mention the amount of time it takes, they tend to balk.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I never really watched the show (or it's pendant here, to be more precisely), because I don't like the concept of it's either.

But as you said: It's a difference if you run to a TV station and everything gets aired or if there are some people at work, who try to copy the concept (as in: Win and get something for it).
    I still don't have to be a fan of it, but at least they are trying to get healthier that way.
    And if that doesn't work out and they try again next year - so what?
    There are way more people who tried a diet and tried a diet and tried a diet and... (you get my drift ;) ) to no avail and will go on trying again, because it doesn't work out the way, they want it to.

Sure, if they want to have permanent changes that won't work if they're going back to live on sweets afterwards, but they will realize that in the end - and they will either change or say "it doesn't work".
    Their decision.

I so far lost 25 or 35 kilogram, depending from which moment you count (so I go usually with the 25) and didn't need a incentive to start that aside from: "Gee, you're fat. You will roll around the streets soon".

I also tried starting to run regularly a few weeks ago - and yes, for that I needed an incentive.
    And I don't think that's a bad thing.
    (I really need to try to get back to that... :eek: )

18. 47MartialMan

I guess you have not been paying attention..to further explain:

The Contest

At work, this was done a few years ago to imitate the TV show AND GET ON THE Bandwagon. People look to be on the contest not for the motivation of loosing weight, but to win the prize. Nearly the same people back then, registered again this time. After all of that time past, why could they have not kept their weight low instead of a contest-again.

A few cohorts I know, have been on a weight loss-health diet long before the contest. On occasion, I go out with them for lunch. Like myself, they eat healthy with the right proportions. There is a oddity that people do not desire others to know they are on a diet. Same as people do not like others knowing their weight or age.

The poor attitudes of people trying to loose weight, was not from the desire to loose, more of a desire to win the contest. Team members keep badgering each other. Thus they carried a odious demeanor most of the work day. Participants also take extreme measures to loose the weight. No one wanted anyone to see them on the scale for the start. A few participants who were already on a diet from the year's beginning, purposely gained weight before the start weigh-in.

Everyone WILL REGAIN THIS WEIGHT, PROGRESSIVELY AFTER THE CONTEST

That's different than a contest^^^^^^And the contest isn't a little friendly comp

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015