Big Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kibbles, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Not for anything practical but I'm looking for names and maybe links to pictures of the biggest and most ridiculously over-sized looking martial arts weapons out there. Not fantasy weapons or replica fantasy weapons (unless they actually work) but not necessarily practical weapons either, though still theoretically usable in a serious fight.

The bagua sword for example
    [​IMG]

The kanabo comes to mind as well.

Does anyone know any more such weapons? I was pretty sure there was this weird barbell looking metal staff somewhere (but I could be wrong). Also, how big was an actual claymore?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I think Slip had a thread regarding some ridiculous shaped old Chinese weapons. One looked like a mix between a morning star and a broom.

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

The Zweihander was pretty darn big, up to 6 feet long. There are two types of sword that were called Claymores. The basket-hilted, single handed Scottish sword, and then there's the Scottish greatsword, which was also called a Claymore. They weren't as big as Zweihanders, coming in around 4 lbs, give or take. Often a claymore was made using a blade made in Germany. They are both relatively light compared to their impressive size.

For example: http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Best regards,

-Mark

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's a variation on the balisong or "butterfly knife" used in the Philippines that is huge (for a butterfly knife). I've heard it called a "ventenueve" (29).

5. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Kwan Dao.

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like much, but the traditional ones would weigh up to 150lbs. I'm curious why you're asking.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

Oh wow. :eek: I remember those. I wonder why they never came to mind. My grandfather was a Batangueño and I think he said that was the "normal" kind of balisong (as opposed to the smaller variety). I remember it being pronounced Bente Nuebe. I can't find mine anymore. :confused:

[​IMG]

8. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

I'd like to say it's because I'm looking for weapons to stock my personal ninja slaying arsenal of death but the not so exciting truth is that aside from martial arts I'm into visual art and I'm looking for inspiration for a series of ancient warrior illustrations I plan to make.

Ya, that and the zweihander are pretty cool.

9. ScottUK

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Both Yang (see: "Ancient Chinese Weapons") and Kang (see: "The Spring and Autumn of Chinese Martial Arts") published compendiums on the wide variety of Chinese weapons over the years, and these are pretty easy to get ahold of.
    Werner's classic on Chinese weapons has been out-of-print for sometime, but I managed to get ahold of an after-market copy some time back. What you are asking about most probably relates less to Chinese military arsenal pieces than with icons associated with this or that civilian group. With the failings of the CHING Dyn to provide for its people's security, many societies rose to protect the citizenry. Outlandish weapons were produced less as a viable weapon and more as a talisman for training, as in the case of the BA QUA sabre you pictured. My guess is that you would probably be just as successful grabbing a copy of Yang, find an item that you like and simply increase the proportions to an impressive size. Essentially that's what Boxing Societies of the 19th Century did. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'talisman for training'. Do you mean that they were used as conditioning equipment?

12. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Considering your avatar I didn't really think it was for your personal arsenal.:)

13. Bruce W Sims

Well.......yes and no.

With the advent of "hot" weapons and their increasing use in East Asia, individuals who practiced the more physical side of Martial Traditions began to find common cause with Metaphysical practitioners. In this way, for instance, people who did not have access to hot weapons hoped to enhance the qualities or effectiveness of their cold weapons through ritual and incantation. Similarly Boxers of the 1900 Revolt were led to believe that arcane practices such as writing formulae on a paper, burning it and drinking the ashes would make their body impervious to enemy bullets.

This is not to say that such groups as The Big Sword Society did not find some collective consciousness behind their icon. Nor is this to say that, as you point out, use of an over-sized weapon for training might not condition a person to handle their smaller weapon more easily. What I am hoping to communicate is that there was---and to some degree IS--- a level of magic thinking among the civilian and para-militaries that was significantly absent in a structured military force. If one examines historical materials of the period it is plain that authorized weaponry of the governmental forces reflected pragmatism over esoterica. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It is pronounced "bente nuebe." It's from the Spanish, in which "v" is pronounced kinda like a "b." I've been around FMA for quite a while, but my pawltry language training is in Spanish rather than Tagalog. So I tend to default back to Spanish spelling a lot. :)

15. Bruce W Sims

Not to sound dense, but what was the typical purpose for carrying such an item? Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I heard somewhere that a lot of the massive weapons (like the kwan dao) were actually meant to be used as cavalry weapons. They were then take up and used more for strength and conditioning than for being actual viable weapons.

17. Bruce W Sims

Yes... Gen. QI Ji-guang (1526-1587) is said to have designed a cart intended for use up on the Northern Borders of China where incursions by mounted tribes such as the Jurchens was common. The idea was that the cart was to be pulled towards a battle and then turned on its side to provide a kind of bulwark against mounted charges. Long sheathes were mounted to the sides from which long swords, with blades topping 5 feet, could be drawn. Similarly I have seen prints of soldiers carrying similar long swords and drawing the weapon from a partner who, in turn, then drew HIS partner's sword.

I have also seen a form for the two-handed sabre, whose length is given as 6-feet overall. However, the use to which the form suggests that the weapon might put does not seem to reflect an accurate portrayal of battlefield encounters.

At any rate, the Ming Dynasty fell about 60 years after the general died, so I don't think the approach was ever fully implemented or proven viable. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. TheNinjaMaster

TheNinjaMaster Banned Banned

19. ScottUK

You ninjer boys are gullible.

20. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter