Big juicy and full of puss... my staph surgery adventure

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by slipthejab, Apr 15, 2008.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Well... it's bummer time. Looks like the chance of competing in this years Copa De Hong Kong Gi and No-Gi comp is slim to none. All thanks to a lovely staph infection that (pun intended) came to a head tonight.

Damn.

I knew it was coming. I'd already stopped rolling for about 5 days and got to the doctor... only that he just prescribed cream and said come back. I should have known better. I got back three days later when the center of the boil started to go black. That's always a bad sign. :(

So he squeezed it... rather ineptly I might add and prescribed a mountain of antibiotics... which even with starting today won't be finished by the time of the comp... 26-27th of this month. Grrrr... :bang:
    All the doc's inept squeezing didn't pop the boil or drain any pus... but it did help bring it to a head... and tonight when I got home it was like a mini bon-bon on the side of my calf. :(

Right... time for the syringe, exacto knife and tweezers (sterilized of course). A bottle of rubbing alcohol, some rubber gloves and a good amount of gauze. Generally given to excursions in home surgery this was supposed to be small fish. :D

So in I went... in front of the missus... but with safety goggles on. Boy oh boy... my leg produced a decent amount of funky salad dressing. After a minor bit of lancing... I was able to drain most of the push with the syringe... but the tweezers were required to really excavate that bugger out. So now there is nice little gaping hole in the side of my leg... only sans the puss.
    The missus watched. Big mistake. She got dizzy... then threw up a little in her mouth... and then went to the toilet and got sick. Nurse she ain't. :p

So... first thing AM is a nice trip to the doc to have him take a look at the hole and culture some of the puss to confirm that it's not some sort of monster staph that is drug resistant. Fingers crossed.
    Man... that really puts a damper on getting to the Copa De Hong Kong. I'd really put in the hours rolling hoping to do better this time... but maybe it's not meant to be.

All joking aside... staph infections can be a nightmare. Take them lightly and they can way, way wrong. Seriously - the lead to all sort of problems and even lead to death if you don't take them seriously. If you don't believe me... hit YouTube... and you'll see what I mean. I won't post any of them here as definitely not Kosher for MAP viewage. :eek: You'll know the ones I'm talking of when you see it. I felt better about my minor deal after watching some guy drain out about 2 liters of puss into a tray and onto the floor and all over the nurses and doctors.:p

At any rate... hope this never happens to you - I wouldn't wish it on my enemies. Not fun. Hit them showers right after you get off the mat, keep your gear washed and clean - and get vocal if your rolling mates don't do the same!!! I went and talked with our gym owners to make sure the cleaning crew is hitting those mats daily with bleach/disinfectant to at least cut down on the possibilities of catching a staph infection that way. In our old gym we did it ourselves nightly with Detol/Water and it was like the wrap up of every rolling session. I think thats in order in the new gym as well seeing as how I'm the second staph infection this month. :mad:

Anywho... that's all the news that's fit to print.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

wow man thats gnarly rofl

you should have video'd it!!!! :p

hope it gets better

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yeah I'm recently in the same boat ish with you. I went to class last Wednesday night with a zit on my hand, which I had popped the night before. Instead of washing my hands a couple of times during practice and showering immediately thereafter, I went and got pizza and then got my tax papers in order. Next day it was angry and inflamed and weeping puss, so I went to the doctor immediately. I'm not sure if it is staph, but it's a safe bet. I got on some antibiotics immediately and it's almost gone. I have one more day on the antibiotics, but it actually had a bit of puss in it this morning, but that may be due to the fact that I left it covered during sleep. Fortunately I nipped it in the bud, and I'll be more careful in the future.

4. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I had a similar run in with staph about a year ago. Try ichthammol salve to draw the head out. It's painless, takes about two days and leaves minimal scarring. The only place to buy it around these parts is on the internet and at feed stores. Of course, antibiotics are in order as well. I had a hard time beating the infection off until I was prescribed an intranasal antibiotic, but that cured it up in short order. Best of luck on a speedy recovery!

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Pictures or it didn't happen.

:D

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I had a sticky staph infection in a burn on my arm, medical technician sergeant scrubbed it with plastic scourer soaked in hibiscrub then put a powdered crystalline stuff on it out a big shaker (like the old cardboard shake and vac ones) then a dry dressing, went back the next day and he said it's looking better - this time he only scrubbed it with a nylon brush and put on the powdery stuff. Healed up no bother after that but scar showed for years and still shows up under UV for some reason. Hope yours heals as quick as mine did.

7. slipthejab

In the a.m. I'll dig out my mobile phone USB connector... I'll post a picture of the hole with a coin and finger beside it so you can see scale. :D

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Remember and wash your hands - I know what photographers are like.

9. slipthejab

HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah photographers be filthy mongrels... before having a sly fappin' session I had to stop and have a whole body alcohol rub down - even rubbed down the mouse and keyboard!
    Then in the end I just gave it a miss... meh... the thought/smell of puss just killed the mood. :D

On a bad note... it's 2am and my skin is crawling and I feel like I'm in a cooker. Not normal. Bummer. That's not a good sign. I'm not allergic to antibiotics.... hmmm.
    I'm gonna have a fat dose of yogurt for a few days after I come of the antibiotics. Heard the pro-biotics was a good way to go after a dose of the meds.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I had a staph infection in my forearm. I had to repack the hole for about a week to keep it from filling back up with pus so that the antibiotics could do the trick. One of the grossest things I've ever had to do to myself! Yuck.

Sounds like you're taking care of it, which is good. And good on ya for being suitably concerned about MRSA and whatever other kinds of resistant strains might be around.

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

correct....pack it

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Moved to H+F....

;)

Glad to hear you treating it right mate...

What dd the doc say about your self surgery? :D

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ewwwwwwwwwww! See I avoided this thread for the last 20 minutes as I presumed it would have MANY photos by Slip!!!

Sounds nasty and having just started rolling recently you guys just made me realise how important good hygeine is going to be!

Ok ok Slip so you definitely beat my manky eye :D Hope it gets better soon!

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I saw the title before the thread starter and KNEW who it was...

This Thread Is Better Without Pics!

15. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hell yeah it's important!

16. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Sorry to hear about that Slip. Take it easy and get better.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ugh. I'd never even heard about staph infections until a couple of years ago and now they seem to be on the increase.
    Just seen some piccies of Kevin Randleman and Drew McFedries staph infections.
    Not pleasant at all.
    If this sort of thing gets more common we'll all have to go back to doing no contact point sparring.
    Hope it clears up slip.

18. Cyco78

Cyco78 Plastic Surgery Disasters

Man that sucks.

A few years back a really good friend of mines step-father died of a staph infection, so yeah...I suppose it is rather serious.

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What do you pack it with?

20. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

You can buy packing gauze. It's basically a thin strip of gauze that you just start stuffing into the hole. You'd be amazed at how much goes in there. I had a hole about 1 inch long, 1/2 inch wide and maybe 1/2 inch deep and I'd get maybe... oh, I don't know... at least a couple feet worth in there.