bicep curls rep number

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enquea, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Because gaining fluffy mass is of no use in the dojo. "Mass" which coincides with strength is a much more practical goal. If this particular person, or anyone actually, doesn't realize that, I'm more than happy to mention it.

Yes, because that's the quickest way to reach that particular goal.

2. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I been to many BB forums and the general consensus is that compound for mass and isolation for lagging parts. Natural bodybuilders have no choice but to do compound.

You think you're so knowledgable? Why dont you walk up to any of the top coaches around the world and ask them how they add pounds to their athletes without using drugs?

Same old crap eh? Its the same because its how the human body works. Damn this kid's getting on my nerves.

3. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Where did this guy mention that he wants something thats useful in the dojo, maybe he wants a nice body to pick up chicks? who knows and who cares? the point is he came here asking for advice and everyone has either mocked him for isolating biceps or told him advice really not relevent for hypertrophy training. Yes mass is proportional to strength, but not directly, and he said he wants to add mass to his arms, so we have to take it that he doesn't care what sort of mass it is.

And you seriously think 3 full body workouts a week is the best workout for getting BIG not STRONG?

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

LOL ok, to prove this point, I'll go to some bodybuilding websites now, and i'll post a thread asking for a program to build me mass pure hypertrophy, and lets see how many people give me a 3 day full body workout plan and how many have isolations in there workouts.

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Mass comes from high volume compound, not isolation. Up the damn volume for a few months and come back. Many people dont have enough intensity and volume when doing compound exercises because they're being a pussy.
    They chicken out because of how hard it is to their body. Then they come back and say how they didnt gain much mass compared to when they were isolating. Well then, what the hell do you expect?

6. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

So you don't gain no mass from isolations at all? so what are they useful for, and why do thousands and thousands of bodybuilders and wanna-be's do them?

I ain't arguing that compounds don't build mass, I'm saying isolations are also important when building the perfect body IMO.

Also i disagree with a full body workout 3 times a week when training for hypertrophy. Maybe it might work, but I'm sure theres alot better routines out there.

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Quick extract from the Terms of Service:

8. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

And btw like i said in this thread, when i was struggling for time earlier this year and had low motivation to get to the gym, i rarely did back or legs, and managed to get my arms up to 16.5", so where did this mass come from? the only work my arms where getting where from my arm isolation work outs.

9. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

I wasn't bashing MAP I was bashing this part of it. With good cause as well IMO.

10. Maverick

Maverick New Member

No need for the drugs comment really, if you know about AAS you'd know that they don't allow you to suddenly gain massive amounts of size from isolation, all they do is allow you increase in strength and mass quicker, regardless of what exercises you do. So by this logic it would not make sense to waste a cycle on doing lots of isolation when you could grow even more from compounds.

Nearly all of the BBers I know who use AAS don't change their routine for cycle at all, they don't even do more volume, that is not the point of AAS.

11. Colucci

Well, this part, is my part. As one of the Health & Fitness topic mods, I'm inclined to take that personally, but I won't. But consider yourself officially on notice: You are walking a very fine line. Please think carefully about the comments you post. Thanks.

12. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

nforce, I meant that compound is for overall mass and isolation for lagging parts (Biceps, for example). Of course if you are a skinny ******* to begin with you shouldnt waste energy on isolation.

Mav, I meant that you CAN gain significant mass with isolation if you use drugs. But obviously you will gain EVEN more if you do compound with the drugs. I also know that drugs arent magic potions. But they're not so innocent either :p

I personally dont care about individual bodyparts and whatever. As long as Im strong and big, it dont matter.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Then stay out of this bit of MAP. As far as I'm concerned, what you were doing WAS bashing MAP, so please refrain from doing so again.

Constructive criticism, suggestions and corrections are fine, but what ou said was none of those things.

In any case, consider that a friendly warning and contact me by PM rather than in the thread if you have any more comments to make.

14. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

OK I apologize to everyone, I'm sorry, what i said was out of line.

and harhar, the perfect body IMO is more then being strong and big, its about being correctly proportioned, having perfect size everything, and IMO without isolation most people won't achieve this.

15. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Now you're just saying what I was saying. Isolation for lagging parts. Anyways, this IS a MA forum so its more geared towards performance than esthetics.

16. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Lol but this is what I've been saying all along; "Well I think I will tend to disagree, becuase to get a perfect body, on the whole requires attention to individual parts, becuase not all part will grow equally, some might be stubborn etc etc, hence why bodybuilders do alot of isolation work."

I know this is geared more towards performance then esthetics, but if someone does have a question regarding esthetics, then as a health and fitness forum, shouldn't we give him advice tailored towards his question, not what we want his question to be?

Anyway in this guys case, isolations IMO will benefit him.

The only reason I started arguing becuase of the mockery people were trying to make at the beginning of the thread, and they were made to do it freely, I've noticed the mods weren't attempting to correct them.

Maybe this forum should be made 'Functional strenght training forum, anything else will be ridiculed'

Anyway I think i've kicked up enough fuss now, maybe people will now scope beyond T-nation and strength training when giving advice.

17. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

I wonder at what point enquea stopped reading his own thread!! Jees I hope that some of you dont work for the railways, cause if you cant keep a thread on track I'd hate to see what you could do to a train :D

I've read this thread and the actual answers to the actual question are in the minority, sometimes i think that before posting on a thread, you should re read the original question before starting the next tirade against the last post.

A little isolation never hurt anyone, except maybe hermits!

So IMHO, which some seem to agree with, and have stated before me, work using mainly compound lifts, and if you want supplement with a few isolation exercises. Make sure that you keep it balanced. I use 6-8 rep range and 60 - 90 second rest between sets and 3 work sets. I do barbell and dumbell culrs, mixing which one I use. Works for me, may not for you!

18. Colucci

If you have a critique of how threads are moderated, by all means, forward them to the upper levels (Global Mods and/or Administrators). Otherwise, I'll remind you again that if you don't like the way things get done, you're free to decide whether or not to return to this forum.

19. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

The only reason I'm here is to help people. I don't think a critique is needed of how threads are moderated, if you read the first three posts, no one addressed them bar me and Maverick, and they were ridiculous.

Infact I'll stop there.

20. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

That's YOUR definition of a perfect body. So, that being said, isolations are not needed for a perfect body. You can use them if you please, but that's up to you.

And about this debate on compounds and isolations building mass, it's actually food that does the trick. Pretty much any old routine will work decently for you if you just have a good diet. The routine is I'd say only 1/4 or 1/5 of the actual success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.