better than Halo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by d33pthought, Mar 19, 2005.

1. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Wow. An xbox shooter that's better than Halo and almost better than Halo 2: Star Wars Republic Commando. If it was just a little more varied in the multiplayer maps and campaign environments, it would so totally be the best shooter on the xbox. It's like playing any squad-based shooter, but better.

The music rocks too.

2. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

I don't know, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath could give it a good run for it's money.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I just clocked it in under 3 days. Its so much fun!

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

ive heard nothing but good things about both games

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Half Life 2 is better than all of above.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

are you serious!?!?!?! that game SUCKED, i rented it, and played it for 3 days, there is NO skill in the multiplayer, get the repeating machinegun and the game is yours, it kills you in 2 hits and it fires like an RCP-90.

that game was seriously overrated, so was halo 2. halo 2 isn't so great either.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

most definately.

shy does no one show love for Tribes Vengance? thats really good too.

8. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I don't think it was better than Halo. Sure there was a lot of polish, but you had to micromanage and heal your squad too much. In addition, the campaign levels are waaay too linear. In Halo, the maps were huge and expansive. In RC, the maps are very much in a straight path. Was a great game, but not the best.

9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Now, if we were talking about PC games, then yeah, you'd be right.

Halo only beats it because of huge maps, MUCH better multiplayer, and a longer game in general. Everything else, though, is superbly fun, even micromanagement and strategy, which I like in an otherwise mindless shooter. It's not easy, either, which is always a plus.

10. PsiCop

What abot this... Halo's been out for almost 3 1/2 years and is still just as great a game as it was then. Most games are long since forgotten by that time. I feel the same will be true of RC. The hook is found in single player, but the lasting appeal is found in multiplayer and that's something RC doesn't have. It can't be a great classic without that.

11. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

This is true. Mace Griffin: Bountyhunter was a good shooter, too, and had a rather interesting ability to go pretty seamlessly from land to space shooter. Too bad the single-player was the only thing worth yelling about, and now it's just another obscure shooter.

RC will probably be just as obscure after a few years, though it has the rather dubious honor of being one of the few good starwars non-flightsims to come out.

12. PsiCop

Mace Griffon's gameplay was only average as well. The space combat wasn't anything special and the FPS was something one could find more in.

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

LMAO great goldeneye reference with the RCP-90 :cool:

14. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

best star wars game IMo was rogue squadron on the n64, then closely followed by rogue squadron 2 on the gamecube. i do love KOTOR though

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i gotta give it to KOTOR 2 and Battlefront, battlefront was nice, real nice. kinda slow online though, but still loads of fun.

16. neomusashi

neomusashi New Member

KOTOR 2 then rogue squadron on the N64, havent played republic commando yet.........

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

trust me republic commando is GARBAGE!! Killzone on the other hand is the best FPS out there.
    and for those of you who are interested, there IS A KOTOR 3 IN PRODUCTION DUE OUT LATER THIS YEAR.

18. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Well, having never played Killzone, I can't comment. It does look wonderful, though. Here's hoping KotOR 3 will have smoother a smoother framerate than the first two. They tended to skip a little at times. Also, character models were pathetic compared to the detailed environments, though the second one improved on that somewhat.

19. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Killzone is pretty good, but gets kinda boring after a while.

20. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Unfortunately, that's true of most shooters. Nowadays, developers either skimp on any sort of plot (what's that?) or make the game way too straightforward. There should be a shooter made to convey the sense of not so much being in a shooting gallery, but rather, being the TARGET, instead, in which there's a palpable sense of danger. But then you don't really have a shooter, which Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill demonstrated so amazingly, you have an action-adventure type thing.

I'd love to see a shooter in the style of Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. In that game, it's actually dangerous to fight someone in open combat, and you have to use numerous tools to bypass, sneak up to, or incapacitate your enemies instead. Then again, the game's set in feudal Japan in which you're a ninja and among your enemies are samurai, but still, it made me think about the best way to move forward. Shooters, and games in general, don't really make me do that anymore.