Best ways to gain strength a power, but NOT mass

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ytirad, Mar 18, 2004.

1. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

by low weight i ment 35lb kettlebells moving up to higher kettlbells which are still low weight, like 50-100pounds. not doing leg presses with 350 pounds or benching 250 pounds and working only few muscle groups.

so thanks for the critisicism, but you should look into kettlebells before making someone try to look like a jack ass.

2. totality

totality New Member

i know what kettleballs are, and using them in no way makes your statement correct. how many reps do you do with the kettleballs?

i love them too, btw!

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

hey, when in japan....do as the japanese do. :D

4. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Very true. Bodybuilders weight train for aesthetic purposes, not necessarily for functional strength. It's just the requirement of their sport. The first criterion is that the body exhibits the maximum allowable development while mainatining symmetry. The strength is just a welcome side-effect.

I would have to disagree with your point about Schwarzeneger. When he was still competing, the program he began with was patterned after what was being done by eastern European lifters. He belongs to old-school weight training: big multi-joint exercises first before isolations.

Of course, I would not doubt it if he ever used Weider's products.

5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Maybe totality is right, maybe you should read some more on this subject. The bench press is considered one of the most basic lifts and it is considered a multi-joint exercise.

As for your earlier post about not being bulky with high reps, nothing could be far wrong. According to Muscle and Fitness, a bodybuilder by the name of King Kamali weight trains with reps not less than 15.

High reps do contribute to size. But they do not develop those needed for functional strength.

6. totality

totality New Member

and zat is why he is de KING, and you are all jus' a bunch of schmucks.

7. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

What is this thread about anyway?

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I do tend to switch the 'detector on whenever I'm reading something out of muscle and fitness. Actually, they do develop the muscles for functional strength, just probably not as much. Beyond brawn has some interesting insights on this.

This is about us finally, finally putting the boot in to the 'I want to get results without putting any work in' crowd.
    :D

9. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

my mistake...but i could've sworn i read somewher that he used steroids.

10. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

I heard he used steroids also

11. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i know i heard E true hollywood story said he used steriods and im reading this really old book and im into the drug section right now,of course that can mean alot of things though

im guessing arnold made a few mistakes back then in th 80's. he believed and MIGHT still believe that he can spot reduce regardless of what doctors had told him around 1983 or somewhere in that time, not exactly sure when.

12. CiNdY

CiNdY New Member

well..... most celebrities have had some sort of trouble with drugs of some sort in their past... mayhaps present..

13. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I have done a work out were I used medium weight and High reps, and this gave me strength, definition, and a little mass. But not alot, I think you would like this results.

14. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Okay, okay, alright already...I'm here. You know, a guy goes on a little vacation, and comes back to 5-pages of this thread?!? I had seen this post growing before, but now, just for laughs mostly, I thought I'd throw my hat in. Just one problem...where do I start? Is there still a question that needs answering? :confused: :D

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I would not doubt it if he had. If you hae seen pictures of earlier bodybuilding competitions, you would see that the physiques of today's bodybuilders are much more defined. This definition is nearly impossible achieve without supplementation.

But hey, were concerned about power and not necessarily physique right?

16. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

yes earlier bodybuilding picks do seem "smoother". as the years go on i see people with just two packs, then som more creases.... then a full six pack... then 6-8 mountains popping out of thier stomach region.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

There aren't many bodybuilders who don't take some kind of steroids. I'm pretty damn sure Arnold took steroids. He was strong as an ox too though, unlike some people have suggested on this thread, he wasn't just some huge musclehead with no real strength.

18. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

It's a well known fact that Arnie was on 'gear'.

If you compare Arnie and today's pros - he was on the same amount during his 'on' cycle as they are during their 'off' cycles.

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Of course he did - by the bucket load

Agreed - he was just some huge musclehead with real strength - and a brain.

Gotta admire his drive & determination - I mean, young kid from Austria goes to the USA, becomes Mr Olympia 6 times, A household name and international movie star - and then Gov of California. WOW!

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Well not everybody must feel certain well known effects of steroids because he must have BIIIIIIG COJONES! To think, he got all that way with the most wooden acting you've ever seen.