Best Way To Bring Some One Down

Discussion in 'MMA' started by LowBlowJoe, Nov 27, 2003.

1. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Hi every one well i am new here as you people probally can see

Well i wanted to know whats the best way to bring some one down while fighting ? im bigger then the person oh and also i was thinking about going right behind the knees from the front but i dont want to get punched in the face or kneed in my chin,
    wich i doubt he will do but any ways what are some good ways you guys bring down your oppenent out side the ring quick???

Thanks every one

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

There are a lot of good ways to bring someone down. The secret lies in the setup (same as everything else)

You might want to look at some basic wrestling to get an idea. A couple double leg variations and trips from a clinch would probably be a good place to start.

3. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Like is this a good way to take some one down? I am thinking doing this but with out going to my knees like it looks in the picture that the guys going to do

4. Van_the_cookie_man

Van_the_cookie_man New Member

In a real fight i think that anybody in that position will get beat pretty badly on the head...

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

go to your knees, then stand up and lift him ;)

That is a basic double leg takedown, there are lots of ways he could take him down from there

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Whatever takedown you decide you like - copying it from a book cover will not give the the timing and skill to apply it.

Get down to a good MMA or Vale Tudo gym - 6 months of hard training should give you an insight into basic takedowns.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Are you entering a tournament, or are you just looking for advice on how to pound someone in a fight? Sounds like the latter to me...

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Loadsa beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

|Cain|

9. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Well i am justlooking to take some one down not in a tournament but in a street fight?

So do you think if i am going to take some one down like that i should just not worry as much to droping on my knees then getting over him and pounding him ;)

Oh and also i am not in any MA classes yet but i am thinking about getting into Kick Boxing, Any suggestions?

10. Jay

Jay New Member

If you do go for any take-down one thing to remember is when you change level keep your back straight and do it with your legs - don't bend at the waist or you'll most probably get knee'd in the face.

Kickboxing won't teach you how to take anyone down - it's all stand-up. Look for an MMA class.

Another thing to remember .. let's say that you manage a perfect take-down - what then ? You are gonna end up on the floor with them and unless you know what you are doing you could be in a world full of trouble.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  11. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Yes i no that kick boxing will not teach me how to take some one down but that a style of MA that I will probally get into

well if i do manage a "perfect" take down which i think that arent any but i would either get over my oppenent like on my knees ryt over his chest and go for a couple of good slugs in the face or if i dont decide to go down kick him in the ribs or face that should hurt him

12. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Step 1: Hurt other guy.
    Step 2: Hurt him some more.
    Step 3: Hurt him lots'n'lots
    Step 4: At your leisure, look at eh way the poor sod is reeling and encourage him to continue the motion all the way to the ground.

Seriously-- most take-downs are pretty ineffective unless you cause your opponent some degree of pain, first. Having caused pain, you will be in a better position to capitalize on whatever openings and opportunities present themselves.

13. Jay

Jay New Member

Yeah .. wow lowblow - U have got it all sorted.

I'm finding more and that people ask for advice, but then turn out to be some 14yr old wanting to kick someone's head in ... do you know sambo master by any chance ? Sheesh I hope you two never bump into each other !!

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Lol,
    I'd pay good money to see that one!

15. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Baseball bat to the back of the head works a treat.

Why do you want to take someone down anyway. If it's going to be difficult getting them off their feet they're obviously fairly large, and if you don't have any grappling experience you'd probably end up in a worse situation.

Just hurt them, bad, when they're standing up and they'll go down without much more encouragement from you.

16. khafra

khafra New Member

I find, when trying to bring someone down, that it's very effective to tell them my views on politics, all the lesser-known factors that make life increasingly dangerous and of lesser quality; and then when they're softened up hit 'em with my personal financial and workplace situation.
    Few cheery moods have survived such an onslaught without being brought low.

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

umm.... no.....

Takedowns are very good at achieving there goal, goal being take a person down.

18. jwc

jwc New Member

Watch the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon. Use the technique that Bruce used on the boat when he was teaching a belligerent guy a new technique. You may have to modify it, but it should give you a general idea.

19. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

oh ok thanks guys well i dont have in mind taking some one down right now,but just to no , well thanks guys i think i got all the help i need

20. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

I have this niffty rule of thumb I like to go by: He goes down first. I wouldn't drop to my knees in a fight unless you were planning on begging for mercy (or offering some love :love: ). I like to sweep his leg while push/lifting him forward, then slaming him down followed by a quick fig 5 armlock (works both in competition and real fights):D