Best Three-Section Staff

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by RubyMoon, May 11, 2004.

1. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

I happen to be in the market for a new three-section staff, but there are so many choices out there I'm not sure what to order. Rattan? Hardwood? Wax wood? How about one of those "convert-a-staffs" that can change from a six-foot straight staff into a three-section staff? The idea is appealing, but does anybody have any experience with these?

Please share your experience and thoughts! :)

2. diligentmantis

diligentmantis Valued Member

san ji kwan or 3 section stick

3. diligentmantis

diligentmantis Valued Member

3 section stick

Hi Ruby Moon. there are a few diffrent sticks on the market at diffrent costs .Avoid the ones with swivel heads as these tend to break easy, my own 3 section is white wax wood the fittings are rivited to the sides this makes it a little safer than the others. try www.superiormartialarts.com they have a big selection of weapons They are in USA , There are a lot of martial art supplies in usa so it will be easy to get advice

Happy training Sean

4. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Thanks for the input! How do you like the white wax wood as opposed to other materials?

Has anyone tried one of those aluminum "Convert-a-Staffs"?

Thanks...

5. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

I decided to go ahead and order a "Convert-a-Staff" just to see what it's like. It arrived today.

First, the negatives. Number one, it's aluminum. Being metal it hurts quite a bit when you mess up and whack yourself in the shin (ouch)! Also, I don't believe it's as sturdy as wax wood. The matte black finish will almost certainly chip with hard use. The chains seems solid, but the pivot joints which attach them to each section seem rather weak, specifically where they fasten the chain to the heads with a single screw. Time will tell.

When the three sections are screwed together to form a single, six foot staff, the weapon seems sturdy enough. It is roughly the same weight as a hardwood staff, maybe just a tad heavier but still quite managable.

The positives: This thing is wicked cool!! :D I can't stop playing with it. What's really great is now I don't have to transport both a staff (which barely fits in my car) and a three-section staff. I can take both in a very small amount of space.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. The downside is I will still need to buy a "real" three-section staff to work with my partner (we are learning a three-section staff vs spear form). I wouldn't want to risk injury to either one of us in actual fighting, and besides...the sound of wood on wood is much more dramatic for exhibition purposes! For practice on my own, however, this thing is perfect!

6. kostebrett

kostebrett New Member

i dont know if u still read this buti agree with other replies, i believe that a staff of wood with the chainmail looking things are better than those with chains, i also find the steel ones to break very fast, a small hit will bulk it very easely, so i would recomend a wooden one, cuz it also doesnt injure u as much as the steel one, the steel one is better off as a show and tell.

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It doesn't seem super likely, the last post in this thread was 17 years ago...

axelb likes this.