best silat videos in the world

Discussion in 'Silat' started by elbowblast, Jun 21, 2003.

1. elbowblast

elbowblast New Member

I hereby nominate my top five silat videos. Actually I have only seen The Robert Torres Kalasag Kuntao series 1-3 so here is the first three in my list of five.

Kalasag Tape 1 - My fave because of the footwork and basic concepts covered. It really opens alot of doors and spurs me on to alot of experimentation. Makes alot of sense to me from my Kali point of view.

Kalasag tape 2 - I really like the basic entries and followups that are introduced with each form. I wish his partner was shown resisting a little more as Robert went over the entries and followups (more drill-like) but I guess he wouldnt get through all the forms then.

Kalasag tape 3 - I love the grappling and the head/neck/arm takedowns blew me away but I had a hard time figuring out why Robert's partner was falling down in some spots instead of stepping back to catch his balance, okay, I know that watching silat is SOOOOO limited and I am seeking to get to feel it now. I would love to have had this expanded into at least a three or four tape series on the grappling takedowns alone as I only get a couple basic concepts of this tape due to its abbreviated nature.

I am quite interested in Nubreed's and Pesilat's top five tapes. And Nubreed isnt allowed to nominate his own series (I am considering getting some by the way. Choices, choices) My first purchases will be Tucci's Maphilindo series, and I am torn as to what to get after that.

Elbowblast - master of the flying, spinning headbutt.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've seen a couple of Roberto's tapes and they're good.

My first recommendation would be Guru Stevan Plinck's Serak video (not the Paladin Press one, though it's not bad) - available on his website at http://www.pencaksilat.com

I'd recommend Guru Dan Inosanto's "New World of Martial Arts" from VDT Academy. Guru Dan shows some of the similarities between the Chinese, Indonesian, and Filipino martial arts.

Rick Tucci's vids are good, too.

I'd also recommend Pak Herman Suwanda's vids if you can find any of them.

Bob Orlando's "Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals" (at least I think that's what the vid is called ... I know that's what the book is called) is a good vid, too.

Mike

3. Arnisador78

Arnisador78 New Member

Roberto Torres

I went to a seminar instructed by Roberto Torres, he is awesome. It made me want to study Indonesian martial arts, although there are no intsructors around here that I know of.

I have not seen the videos, but judging by his seminar, I am sure they are great.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Re: Roberto Torres

I see that you're in Florida. I actually know a couple of people in Florida who teach some Silat (specifically, Kuntao Silat de Thouars which is one of the things that Roberto has trained in, too).

Where are you in Florida?

Mike

5. Arnisador78

Arnisador78 New Member

I am in Orlando. Know anyone around my neck of the woods?

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Actually, yeah. I know a couple of people down that way. One is a JKD/Kali guy. He's had some exposure to Silat, but doesn't teach it. He's a good guy, though, and a good martial artist.

But for Silat (or, more specifically, Kuntao Silat de Thouars), check this website: http://www.twindragonsmartialarts.com/kuntao_family.htm

I don't know how close any of them are to you, but if no one is close to you, you can contact them and see if they know anyone close to you.

Good luck, Mike

7. Arnisador78

Arnisador78 New Member

Is the jkd/kali guy's name Troy?

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Nope. It's Brian. But he has a partner whose name I don't remember. Might be Troy, but I don't know.

Mike

9. elbowblast

elbowblast New Member

Anyone seen any of the 24 part Serak Tape Series available at the Victor De thouars VDT site? It looks like a pretty in depth series but I am wondering how much application and concepts are in with the patterns and forms.

Elbowblast.

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Nope. Haven't seen any of those vids. But Pak Vic is very much about application. I would imagine that they are covered in the vids, but, as I say, I haven't seen them so can't say for sure.

Mike

11. elbowblast

elbowblast New Member

Pesilat,

okay, I took the plunge and ordered Plincks video from his website,,,,,,,,,,,,,I eagerly await.

BY the way, how much of your Kali footwork crosses over into silat territory and vice versa? They seem very similiar from what Ive seen.

elbowblast

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Cool. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Guru Plinck's vid.

Well, they both use a lot of triangles. There is some overlap. But there are also quite a few differences.

Mike

13. Nubreed

Nubreed Banned Banned

Here is a list of my video's that I've collected through the years!

Pak Su Noor Silat Terlak Empat ( in Bahasa but a good tape )
    Langkah Empat Silat Pendaker Jafri (good tape)

Guru Charles Joussot (All French but good)
    > Setia Hati Terate 1
    > Setia Hati Terate 2
    > Setia Hati Terate 3
    > Setia Hati Terate 4
    > Setia Hati Terate 5 Bodyguarding

Sapik Kalo Silat 1 <very good tapes
    > Sapik Kalo Silat 2
    > Sapik Kalo Silat 3
    > Sapik Kalo Silat 4
    > Sapik Kalo Silat 5

Combat Silat Video's <very good tapes
    Pencak Silat Pertempuran
    Ales
    Masukan
    Tangkapan
    Kuncian dan Timbilan

Home movies:
    Goh family kuntao (filippino)
    Silat Groundfighting (filippino)
    Tat kuntao (filippino)
    Alex Co: Ngo Cho Kun raw footage from a filming project

All great tapes
    The New World of Martial Arts with Guro Dan Inosanto
    Serak silat- Victor De Thouras and Dan Inosanto
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat & Serak Video's
    by Guru Steven Plinck
    Maphilindo Silat Vol. 1-2 by Guro Rick Tucci
    Mande Mude vol. 1-5
    American Kuntao Silat video's by Chas Clemans

I have may more but this will give you an idea of some good tapes!

14. krys

krys Valued Member

The Charles Joussolt video are the best I've seen, he was one of my silat instructors....

Where were you able to get the

Tat kuntao (filippino)
    Alex Co: Ngo Cho Kun raw footage from a filming project ?

Thanks,
    Christian.

15. Nubreed

Nubreed Banned Banned

Some more of my video picks and info.

My five best video picks!

1. Pencak Silat Ratu Adil Vol. 1-2 Pak Master Ter Linden
    he was an Awesome man with an awesome art! I'm hoping to get with one of his instructors out of Portland very soon. Noel Shavers and learn more about this art!

2. Kalasag Kuntao Silat #1-#2 by Tuhon Roberto Torres
    (what can you say about Tuhon Torres, he's very good) I'd like to make sure I was on his side in a street fight!

3. Pentjak Silat Buti Negara by Pendaker Paul De Thouars
    (awesome stuff) I learned alot from Narin Lanhittham about this art! He is one of Guru Steven Plincks instructors

4. Herman Suwanda Mande Mude Pencak Silat vol. 1-5 (tied w/)
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat & Serak Video's
    by Guru Steven Plinck

5. Combat Silat Video's <very good tapes
    Pencak Silat Pertempuran
    Ales
    Masukan
    Tangkapan
    Kuncian dan Timbilan

I would like to mention these vids too!

Kali Empty hands #1-3 by Steve Grody
    He likes to talk alot, but when he moves he's good!

Fighting Arts of Indonesia by Bob Orlando
    His vid is good, but he is better in person!

Pencak Silat Cimade by Sanders
    Plenty of information, with a different attitude of movement!

Secrets of silat by Steve Gartin (he gives you some good info. on Silat training and attitudes)

Serak Tongkat Silat by Pak Victor (one of Pak Victors first vids)

The home video's below where a gift from a friend of mine!
    Tat kuntao (filippino)
    Alex Co: Ngo Cho Kun Taw footage from a filming project

Well that's it for me!

16. taliosarah

taliosarah Valued Member

Oh! SO cool! ...to see such positive/kind words on my father's tapes & what he teaches.
    Hey elbowblast where are you located perhaps you can feel silat soon. Our new site is up & if you'd like to complete your set... my dad's video "KALASAG KUNTAO SILAT Part 4: Sandatas (Weapons)" is also available at our site.

17. mdz81

mdz81 Valued Member

I´m interested in exchange Filipino/indonesian martialarts. Interested pleasesend me your list to: shuaijiao@terra.es
    Thanks

18. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Selamat Ben!

Thanks for your kind words on my vids and for including them in your top 5! I appreciate it very much.

Hormat saya.

19. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Although it was mentioned, I just wanted to say "The Explosive Art of Pentjak Silat Serak" has an AWESOME clip of Dan Inosanto really opening up in a flower dance. This dude is in his 60's, and he still moves like a jaguar. It was worth the price of the video just to own that!

Although the Serak tapes are cool, you will need the phase tapes, sold only to members of the school, to really connect them. Nonetheles, Pak Vic does show some excellent technique.

Roberto Torres makes the grade in his vids, he showes good quality & plenty of technique & application. You can't go wrong with his stuff.

Anything by the late Eddie Jaffri is worthwhile.

If you can get your hands on Pak Herman Suwanda's "Silat Documentary" it has a great display of lots of silat. Let me chime in here about Stevan Plinck's video as well, it holds a wealth of info for the advanced practitioner as well as the novice.

Bobbe Edmonds

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  20. grimel

grimel New Member

I love Pak Vic to death, but his entry level videos will screw up your head. If you can't get hands on from someone in his lineage get Plinck's tapes. IMO, Pak has been doing it so long he occasionally drifts from one level to another to yet another which can be very confusing to a beginner. If you are familiar with the ideas they are fine.

IMO, the best silat tape is VDT's Blades of Thunder Vol 1 (just released this month, taped last month). I'm biased, my instructor does the applications.