Best Rock Guitar hero ever!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Durkhrod Chogori, Feb 13, 2006.

?

Best Rock Guitar player

1. Jimi Hendrix

20 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Jimmy Page

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Michael Schenker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Randy Rhoads

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Ritchie Blackmore

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Steve Vai

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Stevie Ray Vaughan

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Eddie Van Halen

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  9. Joe Satriani

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Gary Moore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Sure, why don't you? It's quite likely I will care about as much as I care if you are a better musician than me...which, by the way, is not at all. You have entirely missed my point and proved it all at the same time, which I find quite amusing.

For some people life isn't a constant race of good, better, best.

wattos image says it all.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

I tend to go for 'feel and expression' over technical ability anyday ;)

Hendrix may not have been the worlds best guitarist technically, but he was an inovator and almost re-invented the guitars capabilities :)

4. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Brian May (Queen) and Santana, and Slash, yeah, but none of them are on the list :S

5. watto86

Thank you. lol

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Steve Howe (Yes and Asia) completely mastered the guitar. one of the most underated players ever.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  7. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Damn, I forgot about Steve Howe, even got to see him live a couple of times. Yes, a true guitar hero...teamed up with Chris Squire and woohoo, classic music in the making...

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

indeed. though he always looks in pain when he is playing!

9. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

The guy that followed him, Trevor Rabin, always had that look of pain too...

Rabin, now that I think about it, is one hell of a guitar player as well, but he did mostly the movie soundtrack scoring and stuff like that.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

he is a great player, he just took yes in a direction most of the original fans didnt like. he made some of the best music in the 80s though :D

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Blues-rock is t3h 5uxx0r!

12. xen

xen insanity by design

LOL i don't doubt it :D :cool:

remembers??? :confused:

thats past tense....

check out this years gigs...

hawkwind gigs

and there's quite a few of the Gong crowd on the road this year as well...

Planet Gong

including Hillage (as System7... expect some very cool tribal trance with live guitar played through a rack of synths and effects)

see you there.. ;)

13. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

hehehehe, well, not like there was a lot of competition. :rolleyes:

14. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

S. Vai also had that look of pain (or should I say painful joy ;) )

CG.

Attached Files:

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Dude, if your solo's don't look like they hurt, you're not playing right! :D

16. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

As a sixteen year old wunder kid(there have been others, Frank Marino, Jonny Lang, Monster Mike Welch), it shouldn't be too difficult for you and your obvious skills to impress someone other than yourself long enough to record you, and allow others to hear your brilliance. Do you have any recorded evidence of you leaving Hendrix in your dust?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  17. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

One thing to consider on these who is the greatest lists, is how influential the band or player is. An example is Pink Floyd, an incredible band with gifted musicians and a distinct vision. A major force in record sales, yet few bands try to sound like Pink Floyd. Compare that with the Rolling Stones or the Beatles. Many direct knockoffs, trying to capture both the sound and spirit of the bands. Jimi Hendrix's influence continues to this day, with so many guitarist trying to emulate his sound and his look, or work from the same groove. The "cat in a hat with a strat" look partially defines the rock and roll image. SRV took the Hendrix influence and extended it for a new generation, he wasn't the first, he won't be the last. robin trower and Frank Marino did it before, Kenny Wayne Sheppard has come out since.

By the way, the proper answer to who is the greatest: Michael Bloomfield. :D

18. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Could you please explain to me in simple language why someone like Gil Evans(Miles Davis arranger/orchestra leader)would have expressed a desire to record with Hendrix,and did release an album of Hendrix music? Are you suggesting Gil Evans would not qualify as trained ears? Oddly enough while Gil Evans did a tribute album to Hendrix(and one to Steely Dan), somehow he never got around to Jimmy Page. We will never know what we missed.

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

L-M-A-O

[​IMG]

20. watto86

Thank you and goodnight.
    Oh my god! I can't believe you just played both those cards in the one thread!
    [​IMG]