Best quick and easy meals?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 19thlohan, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Nutrition is of course the most important part of overall health but time can be a huge problem for many. I often don't have time to do much in the mornings so breakfast is tough for me. Also todays insight says to eat 5-6 times a day but that's a lot of food prep time. So my question is what are peoples best quick and easy meals?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

a tin of kippers on toast. easy as in the morning. and tasty. :D

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

scrambled eggs.

Pre cook chilli con carne on the weekend.
    freeze it and heat it up.

Steak is easy

Cans of fish

Protein supplements

tubs of cottage cheese

Just find time to prep on weekends. shop right. cook masses and freeze.

4. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

lots of pre thought

I plan meals, never did before but now I must. I try and make protein a highlight so I prepare on Sundays chicken breasts, baked yams baked potatos, rice. I pre wash and slice veggies and bag them into meal serving sizes. I know.... I am not Martha Stewart but this is the only way I can win the food game. I stock up plain greek yogurt and things to add to it... jam, nuts, granola.
    Anyhow from the chicken, I make I make chicken salad and cube some chicken to make chicken soup. I make turkey meat balls and freeze them in portion sizes so I can mix and match in a jiff all the above pre cooked without loosing quality. If I dont do these I will eat like crap and not get what I need to carry me through a rough day. Sometimes I just keep whey powder around for skipping meals when I fail at the pre make thing. I do make a stock pile of hard boiled eggs for quick am protein If I screw that up I will get a dozen red beet eggs. Also I will grab some canned veggies like black beans and corn mix them together add some lemon zest and olive oil and package in serving sizes, that way I always have something smart on hand. I did try everything else and it just doesnt seem to work, I started gluten free so that makes life even tougher, but the pay off is good.

5. Mangosteen

Great Ideas. im gonna do the same.
    was getting bored of chilli con carne.

6. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I make my 6 scrambled eggs and bacon bits at night before I go to bed. Then I nuke it for 3 minutes in our weak microwaves in the morning, drain it, and chomp away.

dinners take a different turn as I like to make things that take awhile but dont take much fussing over. I'll routinely make chicken in the oven so I can do other things while its cooking. At 325 I cook chicken breast or leg quarters with the bone side up for 40 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 36 before checking doneness. Depending on how thawed the chicken was I may add up to 6 minutes before its done.

I always brush on olive oil first, add black pepper, tenderizer, minced garlic, basil and rosemary to the bone side and then when I flip I add paprika for color and my secret ingredient - BROWN SUGAR. It melts and makes a crispy skin with a slight sweetness that really goes well to offset the savory of the herbs.

So while all thats cooking I can do other things like laundry, clean, etc. which makes it convenient.

Also I have a recipe for a chicken pot pie cassarole. A bit high on sodium, but if we're training hard and sweating alot that sodium is actually not bad at all.

7. Mangosteen

Great roast chicken recipe.

I'll trade you my signature lamb and leek stew recipe for your chicken casserole recipe?

8. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

It is such a pain in the ass! But it is worse being hollow & starving & rip someones head off hungry low sugar and having no good food option after heavy training. I guess you learn the hard way.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

For breakfasts, I'll often make some homemade breakfast burritos high in proteins (eggs, ham) and throw in some vegetables and low-fat cheese. Make one big bunch on Sunday, and you can have 6 to eat throughout the week.

If you're really on the go, grab two pieces of fruit and put a scoop of a high quality vanilla protein powder in your travel mug with your coffee.

10. 19thlohan

You and I have a very different idea of quick and easy!:p

11. Mangosteen

His idea is more time efficient. If you're at home and have stuff to do, rather than spend an hour cooking, just stick the chicken in the oven.

12. 19thlohan

I know. I make dinner every night too. I was looking for quick and easy suggestions for some of the other meals of the day.

13. Mangosteen

Make 2 lots of chicken for dinner. cold roast chicken tastes great

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have a crappy diet. I eat a cheeseburger for lunch, a small pizza for supper. Then go to a buffet on Sunday, not eating on Saturday....

Lost 60 pounds in the last 13 months.

15. Mangosteen

how much BF% and weight are you now???

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Boil some chicken legs, take the meat off the bones. Keep the meat and the stock in the fridge.

When you want a quick meal. Fry some ginger, chilli and onion in a wok, add some veg and a few fermented black beans, then stir in the chicken. Put some raw brown rice pasta in. Then add enough chicken stock. Add a bit of soy sauce.

I had that a few nights ago it was realy nice.

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I went from 285 to 225 and my BMI went from 32 to 27, I'm guessing on the body fat but it was around 26% and almost all the weight was lost around my waist, a little from arms and chest.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend how I lost all the weight or my current diet to anyone. Basically I eat very little during the week and eat like a pig on the weekends.

18. Kozak

Kozak Valued Member

Frying ground beef in a fry pan with hamburger seasoning takes only about ten minutes. Buckwheat porridge takes about fifteen to twenty minutes.