Best Method of Kicking

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Jimmy Jitsu, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Can someone please advise me what part of the leg is best is the best to kick with. What delivers move effective power for disabling. The traditional instep of the foot of the Muay Thai method of kicking using the lower shin. Also what type of kick causes the least amount of injury to the kicker.

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I've been taught to derive the power from the hips. The rest I'm not able to answer.

3. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

i think it depends on what why, and where you are kicking.
    they all have their merits( and flaws).

for disabling: i'de say shin kicks to the thigh.

i think your post is looking for the answer MT roundhouse(with shin).

push kick or theep hurt less tho(both parties)(in my experience), but create some space.

different tools for different jobs.
    i wouldn't shin-kick in a tkd bout cos i would never score.
    i wouldn't instep kick at mt, cos i'd break my foot on an elbow.

just my $0.02

-Qis

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. Oddball

Oddball New Member

A nice upper kick to the head usually dazes them, and then I would go in with a push kick to lower left kick and a cross to the face. :)

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Any kick involving wearing riot boots tends to be fairly damaging, and only rarely causes injury to the kicker.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

shin all the way. no comparison. the shin is a big, hard bone. pretty much a built in baseball bat. the instep is a collection of soft tissue and small bones which can be broken easily and tends to absorb some of the force back into itself by way of the ankle bending on impact.

7. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

shin hurts more. the instep will bounce back and is not as solid as the shin. if kicking to the face then the shoes will do most of the damage so the shin is not needed but if its to the leg(thingh-inner and outer) than the shin is best :)

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

9. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Kicking tool depends on the kick and the situation. Shin is very good but other kicking tools are also. You need to be able to use them all.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i honestly cant see a use for kicking with the instep. if i was fighting "in the street" im not going to be throwing roundhouse kicks anyhow, and in a ring there is no reason to use them over a shin, unless using shins is banned (like in savate) which is a fault of the rulebook not the kick.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If you're fighting barefoot, yes, but most people wear shoes when they go out of the house. Plus there's more than just roundhouse kicks to kicking. Front kick for example works nicely with the ball of the foot (again, remember shoes).

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

another thing i forgot to mention is that if you miss with the shin you might still hit with the instep. if you miss with the instep, you wont hit at all.

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Unless you hit with the shin, and if your kicks are any good then they should be able to hit unless blocked or dodged, where it doesn't make much difference what you're kicking with.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

people are moving targets. ive missed a few kicks simply because people moved as it came in, either because they already were moving or they simply saw it coming.

15. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

There are lots more kicking tools than just the shin and instep. Just as the are a lot more kicks than the roundhouse kick. Think about ball of foot, back sole(bottom of heel), foot sword, back of heel.

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i thought we were talking about just the roundhouse? in any case yeah, there are other kicks you can use. I would rather throw a front kick than a roundhousei n a self defense situation (of course, you cant always get what you want)

17. Athleng Nordic

As an aside to the thread how can I build strength and power into my kicks when at the gym?

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

squats are your friend

19. Athleng Nordic

And it's a love-hate relationship. :D

20. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

Shin kicks are better for power, but kicking with the instep makes it easier to strategically place a kick, follow up with punches. I have done martial arts a long time though, and in my experience, I have never had a problem knocking someone down with my instep. If you look at the way kyokushinkai throws their kicks, it tends to be a hybrid between the two. In MT, if you miss, you often spin all the way around and that can be dangerous.