Best MA for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Jab Cross Hook, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Not a problem David. I keep abreast of information sources relating to a range of different crime types so I'm aware of the likelihood of events etc. and where training foci need to be. As ever training is weighted to the most likely things and where possible we highlight and work round commonalities to maximise training efficiency. There are some things we can replicate, others we cannot.

Here are the participants from that particular event in two of the acclimatisation phases.

John Titchen

David Harrison likes this.
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Fantasy" as a descriptor from someone who has never attended one and hides behind the usual excuses of "i don't need it" is absolutely laughable

Once again you are polemic with no right to be so

Having argubaly the most experience in real world violence, training, application and associated aspects in MAP i am exceptionally picky in who and what i advicate3

Being a very highly rabked practitioner in modern and traditional systems, including associated subsets involving edged and impact weapons, firearms and less lethal resolution options i am selective in what i train

Being personal friends and training with Grandmasters, Masters and sport world champions and elite level athletes i am picky in who i train with

And I learned lots from John

You would too if you were willing to remove your blinkers...but small ponds are always more secure

3. Hannibal

John ran several scenarios at my school involving a 15 yr old who was there....strategically it changes things a lot and was a tremendously valuable addition to the scenarios

David Harrison likes this.
  4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I go where the evidence takes me and what I see. I'm not bothered by who says what.
    I don't know john titchen from Adam or care who says what.
    Never seen him unscripted...never seen him fight or do anything in that context. Never seen anyone he trains unscripted or fight either. Guy doesn't move or show things or teach like someone who has had many violent encounters or fights in my opinion.
    More like a research type of thing than actual experience. Which is why I say fantasy reeanactments. I don't know if he has claimed that and it's not personal attack or anything.

The child abduction thing.
    It's too far.
    You guys have lost the plot.
    Don't play on the fear of something like that just to sell a system or training or whatever.
    It might come from a good place....if so it's a miss fire.
    If it's from a bad place I won't be complicit in it and it looks strange.
    The clip is just not right.
    Like the guy driving who turns and starts hitting the lad then is laughing like he's loving it....what the hell is going on.
    It's all just off.

5. Hannibal

Questioning is one thing....calling it all "fantasy" is derogatory in the extreme with no right to do so

Everyone has an equal right to an opinion; not all opinions are equally right

6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The Pope ( highly qualified , big name, lots of high level contacts etc,) tells me to believe in God.
    I don't because there is no evidence of a God.
    I'm happy for others to...not offended by it or anything. Good on them
    Not for me though.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Once you explained the context it made a lot more sense. I was questioning it because I would be surprised to see you selling an "anti-abduction" course or such like, which was how it was sounding from Simon's mention of it.

Simon likes this.
  8. Hannibal

Apples and ornages because one cannot be demonstrated or shown and the other can

Seriously that is one of the weakest arguments ever

Military and police train in the same way across the globe - so who is right in looking at this approach? Thousands of law enforcement and military agencies including special forces in all continents or you?

Its not tricky is it?

Why do you bother sparring? Its not a real fight is it?

Same thing - exactly the same thing. So you are literally arguing against your own training

9. David Harrison

That is expecting the wrong kind of knowledge from your source.

If I wanted to get the inside scoop on the canonical rites of the Roman Church, then the Pope would rightly be an authority on the subject.

Simon likes this.
  10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

If your secure in what your doing, it doesn't matter does it.

Everyone's happy.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Indeed, but we grow not from being comfortable, but by being uncomfortable.

Step into that which scares us, come through the other side and it's not scary any more.

That's why we pressure test.

aaradia, narcsarge and Hannibal like this.
  12. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

No. Going to the right source to get your knowledge from is more important.

13. Hannibal

When you are advocating or denigrating an approach then yes it does matter because not everyone is comfortable or experienced with their art or training amd are seeking how to improve

Which brings me back to my above point about one method being universally practiced by legitimate "life or death" workers

So yes you are right in that you are absolutely free to choose any approach....its just some are better than others - equally if you have only ever tried one approach you wouldn't know that

14. Hannibal

Such as high ranked individuals with qualifications, experience and recognized ability from people at the sharp end of the wedge?

Yup

Which gives us "Train with John for a developmental and learning experience beyond what you THINK you know"

So I cant see what you are actually arguing against now

15. David Harrison

Who would that be for you?

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi Matt

The participant indicated was not actually hitting the teenager - simply indicating to him his vulnerability to being hit by tapping on his armoured vest. Any contact made during the day was carefully calibrated by the participants based on the acclimatisation phases at the start. Without being inside his head, but knowing the individual concerned as he has been to a few of my Sim Days, karate seminars and regular classes (including subsequent paired karate training with the young man concerned) the driver is most likely smiling and laughing because he is impressed and happy with the spirit and technique shown by the teenager.

As I have indicated to David, this was simply one element of a training day that encompassed many other (more common) themes. These particular scenarios were run with the consent and support of all participants and their parents. As I stressed in the accompanying article, this is a rare type of event.

The aim of the day, and the video is not to sell a system as the participants come from multiple clubs (4) and styles. This particular video was filmed to accompany the linked article on my blog. I wrote about it as I felt that others might find it of interest.

This was a very productive training day enjoyed by all concerned. One individual stopped training this month to focus on GCSE exams this academic year, but otherwise all the other participants are still regularly attending their classes and I'm sure would be happy to attend future events.

Simon likes this.
  17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Don't worry about it.
    Just know I'm not duped by the tricks and smoke screens of guys you never actually see fight or do anything unscripted. When you know you can tell straight of by watching how people move within the environment there meant to be good in, if they are the real deal or not or what level they are on.

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

It doesn't matter.
    It's my problem
    Who ,what,where It is for you is yours.
    And as if you care haha.

The point was simulating child abduction is strange and off to me.

19. Hannibal

Because you don't actually have kids

20. David Harrison

I care enough to be curious.

I mean, this is a discussion board, right?

I think you're right that people, ultimately, have to find their own way. The thing is, I don't think that can ever come from just one person. And on the subject of "researchers" and statistics, even if you were training with hundreds of handy scrappers, that is not a big enough data pool to know if their experiences are skewed. Knowing the stats applicable to your demographic, and focusing your training accordingly, is a smart approach, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.