Best MA for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Jab Cross Hook, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jab Cross Hook

Jab Cross Hook New Member

Hi guys, here is my question...

If you had to choose only one martial art for the most effective self defence on the street (also considering the possibility of multiple attackers), what would it be? Give me your reasons aswell! Interested to know...cheers.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There is no correct answer as it all comes down to the training method

Train under pressure = fight under pressure....the reverse is also true

Martial Arts and Self-Defense are not synonymous anyway, so that further complicates the situation. Against multiple attackers you are pretty much hooped in the absence of an equalizer

Rataca100, EdiSco and narcsarge like this.
  3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

*** Noms*** popcorn good....

What Hannibal said.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Sinanju.

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Surely, against untrained multiple attackers, a competent trained fighter of same size/strength stands a pretty good chance? However, how does one defend against a surprise attack with a hammer from behind by a single attacker who has never thrown a punch in his life? I can't find a technique for that.....There are too many factors/scenarios....under the right circumstances, anybody could win, under the wrong circumstances, anybody could lose. Even a surprise attack from front...someone just asks a question and throws a hook/uppercut to jaw/chin without warning? Almost impossible to defend against no matter how good you are.

In MY opinion, it's better to be bigger (stronger). Here's the advise I give to folk when they ask me this same question: Workout to get bigger and stronger in the gym by lifting heavy once a week at least for about 30mins. Then, a couple of classes of Muay Thai or Boxing per week. Keep it simple and remember: life is too short and precious to ruin by getting in a streetfight...just laugh and walk away....one punch can ruin two lives: http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-happening/news/2017/august/one-punch-can-ruin-two-lives

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Observation, awareness and prevention.

These should be your go-to techniques for all self-defence.

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Nothing. Any training that imparts real fighting skill is more dangerous than being on "the street" without skills.

8. David Harrison

That is entirely context dependent, and a judgment that has to be made by the individual.

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Oh god i met someone who was obessed with that book/series.

Might contain lanaguge.

But on a serious note.Above and.

Krav maga or a specified self defence one. (dont think they count as Martial arts sometimes though)

10. Hannibal

based on....?

I don't think my opinion on Krav is any big secret anyway, but leaving that aside most that claim they are SD aren't

MAP's own John Titchen is a kareteka and a very traditional based one at that - he also has one of the most comprehensive approaches to self-protection strategies I have seen - dollars to donuts if I had mentioned karate though you would have been incredulous

When people don't know they go to to "common view" or "perceived wisdom" and as often as not the PoV is wrong or at the least awry

Rataca100 and David Harrison like this.
  11. David Harrison

If you have no experience to base an opinion on, it's best not to give one. ;)

12. aikiMac

:D:D:D:D:D:D Yep, back in college I read more than 100 of them, in numerical order of course. Absolutely love that series.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D I used to talk about Remo and Chiun so much that for a long time my wife thought they were real people, but, hey, it happens when you read that many books.

A Sinanju masters can beat Batman, so, really, it has to be the answer.
    And what Hannibal said, too.

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I even asked this question in a chat room and they linked the same thing.

I confessed to your orignal point. I know some of them wont be SD based. Its like a buzz word its thrown around in hopes people who have a intrest in it will come. I belive i picked up the vibe in other disucssions there is a specfic thing which makes self defence schools self defence schools and not martial arts becuase they focus on only that? (or something similar or where you refering to Krav maga schools?)

And i wouldn't be as i generally view Karate as soemthing which can be molded to be good for fighting. And technically its mean to have weapons training with it. (if you said all of them are equally as good at it i might not accept that though :p )

But i did forget to put why i would choose Krav Maga, well granted my choice is not soley it so i will make that alteration now, excuse my wording as i am terrible at these things and here i go it may also be theoretical if all the schools work on a good model: I would choose Krav Maga becuase it focuses more on the needed skills to defend yourself in situations rather than ones which would be more useful in sportign situations, all you need is suffcient to escape or make a opening to escape from somone attacking you and it focuses on more self defence oriented drills and tends to be simplier. (its down fall as i have been told is they don't do sparing but rather drills) This can be extended to any martial arts school which focuses more on self defence though and would put sporting skills second to it, so long it does more combat based as a lethal fight rather than sports fight and does weapons(disarms only or offensive with them). And not a lot of Forms by god, not a lot of kata, or at least explanation of what their practicle use is or you get to try their use in the same session. I have a huge anti kata Bias, its terrible(the bias). Or at least kata by its self. I probably have a really bad combat/self defence martial arts experience.

Just ask if something is not clear or makes sense, i have concieded i am terrible at explaining fighting things as i dont know the terms. The standard Rataca communication things you know? :p So apart from above, my opinion is based on thinking hollywood and bruce lee films are reality and one kick can kill somone 100% of the time unless they are a main character. I have my own viewpoints on what makes a good martial art i am belayed by not having the willingness to get to a blackbelt level and not carine enough to do it under somone elses viewpoint.

Just to change my list: Krav Maga, Arnis, probably some forms of Karate and their decents, HEMA, Juijitsui and some Kungfus and anything which meets to that criteria i dont know about the circulem of many of them. (ignore my use of general terms i get Kung fu, Juijitsui and HEMA etc are generl terms, it snot all schools or clubs or styles, it can be soem styles or soem clubs in some styles)

Just as a generic question, is it bad when a TKD school puts Korean Karate on its advertisment, if somoen can tell em waht constitutes that because im going to go look at it in the next few hours i will get back to you.

14. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

@aikiMac I forgot something and i cant edit it, my go to fictional one would be the pistol one from Equilibrium. :p 10/10 wins every time.

15. Hannibal

Krav over-promises and under-delivers in most cases

I question why you are recommending something you have never actually trained in - furthermore i question why you decry something you have never actually trained in

the problem with such recommendations is that they have zero weight - you have neither positive or negative feedback on them with which to provide such a judgement so at best you are simply repeating someone elses opinion. Now direct experience isn't needed as such when you get to a certain level of experience in similar or related arts, or when your exposure to the situations themselves give you a perspective, but just throwing out an art with no real grasp of what it is or isn't about is not exactly good advice

As for "sport" or "self defense" it's a false dichotomy - most "sport" fighters will kick the ever-loving crap out of most SD guys simply by virtue of being a pressure based training paradigm. Pressure vs non pressure is a much better metric

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

HEMA????? Are you kidding me? Am I misunderstanding or did you just say that HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) is one of the better self defense systems for modern day society?

If I am not misunderstanding, you really need to explain that one.

Are you just throwing names of arts out there without any understanding of what they are?

How can you think an opinion is worth stating when you admit you don't know the curriculum?

Hannibal likes this.
  17. aikiMac

Agreed.
    And for the OP -- there isn't just one for everyone, because eventually it becomes a means of personal expression akin to dancing. Given the same amount of training, two people won't necessarily look the same. And they might not even like the same style to begin with, yet come out equally talented in the end.

And what the "street" means to different people, isn't necessarily the same. I have no reason at all to expect that I'll ever get in a physical street fight, but I live in a crowded place, so all of the awareness and prevention aspects of self-defense are extremely valuable to me. And so is "verbal judo" -- applying the relaxation principles and fluidity principles of martial arts to a verbal and emotion conflict is extremely valuable to me. But someone else might have a different life, so his needs will be a little different than mine.

David Harrison and Hannibal like this.
  18. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

As a general term, if you look at the fighting methods of the 18-1900s they would work better than the 1600's.
    The nture of violent crime has not changed that much from the 18-1900's (obviously not from the late ones), people still use knives and firearms. However the ability of the person to lawfully carry them may have changed from those peroids. Sword fighting could be applied to a few improv weapons. everything is or becomes a piece of history, its just how semantic you want to be. :p

It is only opinion from me, no one has to follow it. I cant say Gunjitsui as a response to everything. :p

Its working on the assumption that school X is the model/rule is why i would reccomend something. But could you actually get a good picture of a style if that style is quite varies in what its schools priorites/curriculum are?

i get the point on the "sport" vs "street" fighter

Noted anyway, i have to leave my computer soon so its kind of rushed

Dual response, i cant know every curriculum from every style, some are too diverse.

I agreed/conceded to the orginal point Hannibal made.

19. David Harrison

In fairness, HEMA is more functional to my eye than any Kung Fu or Karate weapons training I've seen. Not least because they actually get to spar with weapons.

20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

As someone who practices and enjoys HEMA, HEMA is a bad choice for self defence, largely because most HEMA classes focus on armed confrontations, i.e. sword vs sword, sword vs dagger, sword vs spear, etc, sometimes in armour, sometimes without. Whilst there are a large number of techniques of unarmed fighting, these are rarely the main focus of a class, so unless you plan to carry around a sabre, arming sword, dagger, spear, etc, it's far from the optimum choice for self defence.

aaradia, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.