Best LEGAL self defense weapon to carry?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jul 27, 2003.

1. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Adam, the best weapon is a radio.:D "War Hammer, this is Devil Dog. Grid 2-8-5 by 8-9. One round, Vee Tee frag, on my go . . .":D

Barring that I'll take a shotgun with #1 buckshot which is legal to carry about where I am. Of course, if you mean non-blatant weapons, or things that could be weapons, I would go with the cane.

Cane is probably the most useful weapon, plus one can carry it aboard airliners. :)

2. Korean Ninja

Korean Ninja Banned Banned

Dumb post made by a returning troll - BOOM!" He's TOAST!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2004
  3. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

fountain pen with a good sized nib

and a good watch as knuckle dusters

4. Shai'tan

Shai'tan New Member

Did any one mention an umbrella whit a steal tip?

5. pest

pest Occasional Poster

I think alot has been already such as pens and pencils. In a car/office/home/school alot of people have cd players and cd's, could cd cases work as weapons or even the cd's themself? For myself I carry a chain wallet more for anti pick pocket (yes im paranoid) type of thing, also decoration if thats your gig. Phone and computer cords or any string/cable/cord. This is probally less likly to be with in reach but how about baby powder for a nice agressors eyes? When your in your car, a window scraper long and short handel. Instead of pepper spray how about spray on deoderant. Thats all i can think of right now, im totally open to suggestion on these thoughts.

~Pest

6. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

I think a cane or walking stick is a very good self defense tool. We all hope that we never get in a situation were violence is necessary, but in those rare occasions it is better, I think, to get the maximum effect with minimum effort...therefore the use of a weapon is an advantage.

If the cane or walking stick is of high quality and finish, can't you say that it is an accessory to your clothing...instead of faking a bad leg.
    Just say you like it, that is why you have it......would that work in the non-USA countries represented in this thread?

In the US, wearing big metal belt buckles, wallet chains, steel tipped cowboy boots, huge rings, and studded watchbands etc... can be attributed to an individuals right of self-expression.

7. -BALANCE-

-BALANCE- New Member

yeah see this is the thig. you might have trained all your life in any martial art but as soon as someone pulls a weapon out the whole situation changes...
    carying a weapon or a makeshift weapon like a byro can be good. as seen in the bourn identity (ouch)....slides the pen out of his fist
    its good to be concious of your surroundings and look for a weapon if you havent got one eg pick up a stick or a glass bottle from the ground
    personally i think its not good to have a weapon if your not a good fighter because it can be used against you!! but then again pepper spray is perfect and doesent take much balls to use.

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Opinion, not professional advice:
    In the UK a walking stick is OK to carry, but don't overdo it - the police get funny about a 6 foot staff with a spikey end, but loads of backpackers walk around with folding and spiked sticks, even on city streets. No need to limp to prove you need one - yet!
    The law does NOT explicitly ban locking knives with a cutting edge under 3"; it all hinged on one prosecution and one judge's opinion (i.e. a precendent) - the police have seen fit to interpret this as 'the law' and will take any locking knife away (Leatherman included) and/or prosecute. Personally, I wouldn't argue - just don't carry one which locks.

Carrying knives in general is going to be a target for police in the future - Blunkett is even tryingto make the punishment as stiff as for firearms!

Here's a few legal suggestions for things which might be weapons 'of opportunity':
    Mini Maglite torch (of course) instead of kubotan
    Metal comb
    Large finger rings
    Thick chain bracelet or necklace (use to slash or wrap around knuckles)
    Other smal stuff can be used for striking - even your precious watch and mobile!

9. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

I am wondering...is this from experience with the police, either direct or indirect?

10. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Yes - not of a bad kind, I hasten to add. Some of them do aikido as well as their own training, and I've asked what they would do if... I also used to work for a few years as a senior employee in a school where I often had to face up to local thugs, drug dealers etc hanging about by the gates before the police ever arrived in their stab vests with sprays, batons etc. They knew what I faced and never once questioned the fact that I had a stick with me (blackthorn and heavy).

My estimation is this: The police, like teachers and social workers, etc get a lot of hassle from people who think they can get away with it. They have to control their feelings when under threat or just dealing with aggressive attitudes. A lot of it revolves around the impression you give. A middle aged guy who is polite, apologetic and co-operative may just get a weapon confiscated. A belligerent teenager in a baseball cap who argues and gets obstructive can expect a lot worse. I've only been stopped once, with a car full of weapons including tanto, katana etc. All the officer wanted to know was where we trained. He'd seen the sticker aikido in the car window and couldn't resist pulling me over for a chat. As for the weapons - in the car boot, in their bags and on their way to a martial arts class was fine. Now if I'd taken them into the pub...!

11. jlcop

jlcop New Member

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

If all else fails, and you train correctly, then the only weapon you can rely on is yourself. :D

13. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Pat, geez, no need to depress me. I'm really in trouble. :D

14. DragonZero

DragonZero New Member

A small can of hair spray would work. A quick spray to the assailants eyes would give you time to get away or plan your next attack. If you carried a larger can it could (depending on the model of the can) be quite painful to hit someone with. :p

15. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

I regularly conceal a pair of nunchaku and/or throwing spike in my belt. I thoroughly believe if you live by the sword you will die by the sword and I am willing to accept the consequences for preserving my life against someone who doesn't deserve theirs.

I would only use weapons of more than two or three opponents attacked me. I would pay the price gladly.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

16. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

i have a 32 ounce water bottle http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=37 theyre about a foot talll and the bottle itself is nigh on indestructible, it has a loop to carry it with so i usually clip a carabiner on to mine and clip it to my belt. ive never been told i cant have it with me, and its not something people would wonder about like a maglight. swung by the loop this baby has serious damage potential, i would not want to be on the wrong end of one of these

17. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

cool. i have a couple of those from christmas. your preference is toward the 1.5 L or the 600ml version? 'I've been thinking about something like that.

thanks again

18. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

the ones i have are a full liter. the only drawback is sometime the loop snaps off of the top ot the bottle, but replacement lids are only $3 american. they could be devestating win full imagine getting hit in the face with a baseball bat like swing! can any one say broken jaw!?

19. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

Simple stabbing implement.

[​IMG]

I dont think it is illegal and it would be hard to prove in a court that you bought/carried the pen intending to use it as a weapon. Oh oh and it does have other uses, errrm like writing.

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I carry the steel reinforced model :D

[​IMG]