Best knife defence?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by idols11, Jun 8, 2015.

1. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

What techniques or styles does this forum think are the best in real knife defence?

And conversely what ones are ineffective or impractical? (I have heard 'wrist locks don't work...' etc)

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Don't be there

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

It really all depends on what kind of nif it is and how their using it. I've seen double ended knives that make grabbing the wrist a really bad idea. In general though running or avoiding the attacker is the best idea, I think its called evasive movement, but the bottom line is stay away from the knife until you can escape the area or help comes. Sometimes evasion isn't really an option in that case I believe they say secure the weapon and counter attack with anything you can, gouges, bites, kicks, knees, a rock whatever until the attacker flees or is incapacitated.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Shoot them or use your own knife

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is why the dog brothers say training will help you "die less often"?

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Yes. All training does is increase your percentage chances. Against a knife your chances unarmed are still terrible.

My preferences would be tank-fu or ar-15-jitsu

7. Giovanni

i used to be taught the ol' x-block at my hapkido school.

8. Hannibal

Aaaarrggghhhhhhhhh!

Sadly that cap pile is still being taught in schools!

9. 47MartialMan

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

1 minute into this video demonstrates nicely why that is such a bad idea:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts"]Paul Vunak Knife Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

11. Giovanni

thanks @davidharrison. i've seen that video before but always eye-opening to watch.

the amount of nonsense spewed in the industry is truly amazing. hopefully, we at map can provide some level of sanity to the curious.

just check out the first couple minutes of this video. oh yeah, looks like a great idea. "street art" indeed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYdvIaE-Og"]Tutorial Krav Maga Defenses Against Knife Attacks - YouTube[/ame]

i love how the "defense" is predicated on a nonsense "attack". like some guy with a knife is going to make this large overhand gesture.

12. David Harrison

Well, people are still sent to the morgue from overhand stabbing attacks, so I don't know whether it's wise never to practice them.

But yeah, that video is like a course on wishful thinking - did you get as far as him pulling the attacker's arm out straight and then getting him in a hammerlock? I'd love to see someone pull that off at full tilt! Sadly, I can't imagine that Krav guy managing it.

13. Hannibal

I cannot recommend this series enough

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THW-c6E5nvs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THW-c6E5nvs[/ame]

There is also this clip from "Lucky Dog" which again is worth a thousand words

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjSTIcE0cE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjSTIcE0cE[/ame]

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

A lot of knife defence is shall we say optimistic. It requires a lot of training to make work. You just can't practice knife defence once a month and call it good if you really want to make it work.

For modern knife defence, our club is a big fan of Michael Janich's CBC (Counter-blade concepts).

The old wrist on wrist cross block has its uses, but only if you're wearing 15th century armour or equivalent. That's what it was designed for, not modern knife-defence in shirt-sleeves. My personal view is that if you're wearing metal forearm protection, you're using it as an attack against the incoming arm. Your breastplate protects you in case that doesn't quite work. Also, an underhanded strike against a breastplate is useless. More likely, I think the attack would go to the groin, which changes things as well. It's not a prison shanking to the abdomen. Armoured combat experts can correct me there if they like, but that's the reason that block is found in classical systems IMO... chivalric warriors wearing armour.

15. Hannibal

Well it is how Meryn Trant beat Serio Forel......

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Here's what Fiore says about the lower cross block:

"And I am Full Iron Gate with the arms crossed and doubled. And I am like a mighty fortress, and in armour I am especially strong. But without armour I am not sufficient, because I cannot cover long."

Don't do it kids, unless you're going to wear armour from the 1400's going about your day. Which admittedly, would be awesome if people did so.

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

But...but...but the deadly x-block is there to break arms, dag nabbit! :mad:

Not even kidding, genuinely had a senior grade at a former club tell me that.

But yeah, there really is no such thing as a great defence against a determined knife attack IMO. Except not being there and not getting into a confrontation in the first place.

18. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I will remember to not use the x-block then unless I happen to be wearing chainmail.

The scary thing is, I learned x-block in JJJ and I might have used it against a real knife!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  19. David Harrison

Then how come Karate (and, I guess, by extension HKD), which was never intended for armoured use as far as I know, is so keen on them?

20. 47MartialMan

What to know abut a knife defense? High chances you will get cut. Proper training may have you get cut less or in non-lethal places