Best ITF/ITF Style/Cha'ng Hon Sparrers in the world today

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by StuartA, Jan 7, 2014.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

In your opinion, as it stands right now, who do you consider to be the best in the game at the moment, meaning the best ITF/ITF Style/Cha'ng Hon Sparrers? Male & female/any weight division/any org?

I ask, as with so many World Championships going on now, I am wondering who you consider could transcend them all and still be top of the World?

Off the top of my head, to start with I am thinking:

• Zak Espi (ITF/UK)
    • Warren Vice (TAGB/UK)
    • Phil Whitlock (PUMA/UK)
    • Jermaine Hemmings (UITF/UK)
    • Tom Smith (UITF/UK)

I`m sure Id have more as I think about it, but thought it would be interesting to compile an up to date list.

Please - no retired or top fighters from the days gone by please - just current active ones.

thanks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Unfortunately i don't know any famed ITF stylists. Stuart is your list UK based only? Does Serkan Yilmaz count? Edit (he no longer fights)

Baza

3. StuartA

No... a worldwide list would be good. I don't know that many for other countries TBH, not anymore anyway, but the list is open to all (that are still active)

Stuart

Ps. Serkin would of counted.. he's the one that fought MMA a few times right?

4. Rhythmkiller

Yeah he fought in K1 too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUTMrXUWVj0"]serkan yılmaz 3 meters highkick!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Baza

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't really know anyone outside TAGB to be honest, but someone I've watched for a while is Tyrell Belony. There aren't that many videos of him, but this gives you an idea of his rubber-legged brilliance :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcAh2toYvY"]Tyrrell Belony - British Championships 2011 - TAGB - YouTube[/ame]

I think this one shows his command of distance and timing quite well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLW0IpbPGcQ"]Tyrrell Belony - YouTube[/ame]

Mitch

6. StuartA

you TAGB folk need to get out more mate ;)

7. Rhythmkiller

Was talking to a few guys at training last night who are going to the Euro's this year. They were pretty unanimous with this guy being the best. Double world champ (Russian) Evgeny Otsimik. One of the guys in my class is hoping to meet him at the upcoming Euros'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINXpo2k0dg"]Evgeny Otsimik (Rus) v Ri Chung Il (DPRK). -57kg Male Sparring Final. ITF World Championships 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Highlight reel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WbQxV_MKE"]Евгенний Оцимик - YouTube[/ame]
    Baza

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. Tkdboy

Tkdboy New Member

I can think of a few others, all from itf vienna.

- Matt cadle (absolute/england) current world -63 champion I believe
    - Julio Carlos (USA) lost to cadle in final of the worlds, very interesting style.
    - Kenneth Edwards (Jamaica) current World Cup -85 champ, I'm out here in jamaica for the World Cup so we'll see if he retains his title at -78 this time. He has an unnaturally high chamber!
    - Tim Kool (Sportschool Tim Kool/holland) lost to Edwards in World Cup final and 2x European champion (in a row)
    - Sanel Ljutic (Slovenia) 5 or 6 time euro champ, again he has a great style and is fun to watch (-63)
    - Dylan fitzgibbon (Ireland) won the worlds in his first year as senior (-70)
    - Colin Adolfs (Germany) very tall and very good -78
    - Hong Looi (Ireland) ex world champ -78
    - Mike Whitlock (puma/england) brother of Phil, both of them got bronze in +85 at the last World Cup, interesting to see how he does in jamaica
    - Paul Manning (uitf?/blackrock?/Ireland) -63 and deadly hands

Plus a whole bunch of polish, who dominate at euros and worlds...

I'm sure some more will emerge after this World Cup as well

9. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

TkdBoy
    I personally feel that any list that omits the hungry fighters from North Korea is severely lacking. Because of the terrible national system, they win or they don't eat or actually don't lead a privileged life & their version of life is so lacking that their privileged life is not even better than Westerns who live on the public dole. Also the powerful former Soviet Bloc republics are also very strong with the ITF-NK, especially some of the "STANS" from Central Asia.
    Generally speaking the ITF-V is stronger in Western Europe & the established democracies. It has been my impression that they less affluent countries usually dominate or provide strong competitors in the fighting sports, ie boxing. Of course the ITF-C may be the smaller group, but they may have some elite fighters as well.
    So it is a shame that there is not 1 ITF WCs.
    As far as Open WCs go, while they are nice, they rarely if ever have national eliminations which weed out potential competitors. This to me is a just, along the process of deterring who is "The Best" in a highly subjective what if scenario!

Also K. Edwards made the Olympics 2012 London & commented for Jamaica under the WTF Olympic rules. He is very talented & it would be great to see him against other elite ITF fighters from the other 2 groups. He is an example of who can benefit from the recent historic ground breaking accord signed by the ITF President Prof. Chang Ung & the WTF President Dr. Choue, under the supervision of the new IOC President from Germany!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  10. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Chang-Hon Sparring World Elite

Good Morning and Happy Labor Day!

I know im a little late, but I would certainly add female competitor Katya Solovey (Ukraine) although I believe she has recently announced her retirement or semi-retirement from competition.

Also, Steven Miller of the CTF/WTA has made some international waves in recent years competing in the Taekwon-Do International World Championships and doing very well.

Kim Duc Nguyen is also one to look out for in the near future with pretty significant wins at the WTA Nationals (USA) and Taekwon-Do International World Championships 2013.

TAEKWON!

11. SimsTKD

SimsTKD Valued Member

Apart from thoses already mentioned who I'd agree are pretty much all worth their salt, especially Otsimik and Solovey I'd add IMHO

Carl Van Roon

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=evoKK8NVw9c[/ame]

Nick and Adam Gardener have got to be worth a shout

Carl Davis (UKTA)

Lee Hollinsworth (Imperial)

12. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

No longer active (I believe) but Ms Julia Cross was a fantastic ITF style fighter that I saw personally.