Best Goju instructors in the UK?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Telsun, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

I have been practicing Goju-ryu karate for the last 12 or so years (and Shotokan prior to this).

I love the Goju style, be it ryu or kai, makes no difference. Whats in a name? I currently study Okinawan Goju Ryu karate under a superb instructor. It took me ages to find this guy but it was well worth the search. I would probably study with him in any style.

Okay I know that we are all biased to our own instructors, but I wondered from dojo to dojo looking for the "right" instructor and no one came close to him.

I am not going to go on about how good he is, that is not the point of this thread. Although extremely satisfied with my sensei I still feel the need to visit other Goju dojo's to further my knowledge, just occassionally attending a couple of classes a year! What I would like to know is who do you guys know of that are very proficient and respected in the Goju style?

This style seems to be rather scarce but I know that there are some out there, let me know.

I am currently trying to arrange a week at Sensei Bob Honniballs dojo in Norfolk. He trains twice a week and I would like to attend those two lessons. Anyone from that dojo? I would love to find out more although I will be emailing Sensei Honniball soon, if the wife can get a week of work.

Also has anybody heard of Sensei's James Rousseau, Dave Keen, Arnold de Beer and Len Simms.

I look foreward to hearing from you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  2. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Guess not!!

Any takers on Mike Lambert of Goju in Cornwall?
    My visit to Sensei Honnibals dojo has fallen through as he is very busy at easter time. Although of no consequence to anyone just like to tell everybody.

3. mani

mani Valued Member

Try Gurmit Singh in Hayes southall area

in google type in gurmit singh goju kai

4. gojutejutsuryu

gojutejutsuryu New Member

Shihan: James Rousseau is absolutely outstanding.
    I had the great honour of training with this marvel during the early 1960's in South Africa.

YOU WILL ONLY GAIN BY SEEKING HIM OUT.

MAY THE FORCE ALWAYS BE WITH YOU.

gojutejutsuryu.

5. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Ah gojutejutsuryu I have been expecting you! I knew that Sensei James was originally from S/A. The others that I mentioned are too, but I presume that you do not know of them.

I have the greatest respect for Goju S/A, as all the instructors I meet from there seem to be phenominal.

Sensei James is actually the head of the association that I am with. I was just trying to dig up some stories. Despite having been with the association for a number of years I have only met him once, and as of yet have not had the opportunity to train with him!! I should get my chance in November though when he takes me for my 2nd dan.

6. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Hi Mani, thanks for the suggestion. I have not heard of him and the website is 'under construction'. Does Gurmit Singh have anything to do with Sensei Leo Lipinski?

7. mani

mani Valued Member

Im not quite sure if he has anything got to do with Sensei Leo Lipinski.

His late sensei was the great sensei yamaguchi

8. gojutejutsuryu

Shihan: James Rousseau. ?

Telsun,
    You would be doing me a really awesome favour, by trying to get me Shihan James Rousseau's e-mail number or some other means to contact the master.

I need urgent info from him re: the early days (!950's) of South African Karate.

MAY THE FORCE ALWAYS BE WITH YOU.

gojutejutsuryu.

9. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

gojutejutsuryu, I will send you a PM shortly regarding the info you require.

10. Jags

Jags New Member

I am training under sensei gurmit singh at the moment, and yes sensei leo lipinski has contact with Sensei Gurmit, Snesei Lipinski has been over for a few seminars. He is very nice, polite and obvoisly knowledable.
    Jags
    p.s mani whor ya maybe i know u?

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Er, The Steve Morris anyone? Does he still teach and research pure Goju-Ryu or Kai? It's called Toudi Kempo, but the basis of it
    is Goju-Ryu believe....He lives out in the woods in Surrey. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned him, he's a bit of a Kung Fu/ Karate legend...

12. kenlee

kenlee New Member

Leo Lipinski

Someone was asking for my whereabouts.I am in London,England and can be contacted on:
    kenlee104@hotmail.com

sincerely,
    Leo Lipinski

13. Mike Clark

Mike Clark New Member

Re Steve Morris, he no longer teaches Goju Ryu and has not done so for some years, so I understand.

He now teaches 'No holds Barred' fighting.

You can visit his site as www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

The following is quote from his bio

"It must be all too obvious by now that although I can't deny my association with karate, that association for me was never a beneficial or a pleasant one. Karate had nothing to do with my abilities as a fighter or trainer or my being able to motivate myself to train for eight hours a day, seven days a week, non-stop, by which I was and still am (regrettably in some circles) referred to as a legend, a title with which Bey Logan unfortunately labelled me in the late Eighties. Equally, whatever associations I formed within the karate fraternity proved in the end, like its method, to be entirely worthless and I deeply regret even having associated myself with people like Yamaguchi Goshi, Steve Arneil, Terry O'Neill, Ticky Donovan, Dave Hazard, Paul Perry, Colin Whitehead, Simon Oliver, Peter May, Chris Clifford, and Harry Cook—to name just a few. But I dare say the feelings are mutual in that I was never genuinely a part of karate and it was never a part of me."

So Steve Morris certainly is following his own path.

Regards

14. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Does anybody know the where abouts of Shihan Chris Rowen of Goju-Kai?

15. gojutejutsuryu

16. gojutejutsuryu

Best Goju Instructors in the UK. ?

Dear "Shihan:" Leo,
    I desperately need your CV and that of "Renshi:" Vassie Naidoo for the "SA: Karate and Martial Arts Hall of Fame:"

PS: I am so glad I was able to put you and the great Master Richard Salmon "Hanshi:" in touch with each other after nearly 30 years. The "Hall of fame" has also resulted in Richard being put in contact after 30 odd years, with Derrek Wridgway (DIX), Vic Sykes, Dave Passmore, Allan Haig, John Sindon and Terry Bosch ........... thats what its all about.

Respectfully yours.

Thomas (AKA) gojutejutsuryu1.

17. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

As you are talking best Go ju teachers might i suggest if you are ever in west sussex you try some training with sensei Tim Nicklin. In 25 years of training various martial arts he has impressed me most. He is a student of M. Lambert who i believe is an 8th dan even though i also believe he does little training himself. I can guarrantee you Tim will make you think about your martial art. I am not one of his full time students but i do visit him from time to time and he always gives me some thing to ponder over.

18. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I've only trained with Tim a handful of times, and I'm not a Goju practitioner, but I can't help but be very impressed with him. Not only is his physical technique very good, but his depth and breadth of knowledge is most impressive, as are his enthusiasm and friendliness. A top bloke!

On a different note, can anyone recommend a good Goju teacher in Yorkshire?

Mike

19. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

You could try Sensei Andy Barker, South Hallam Goju dojo. I've never trained with him but have got to know him over the net. http://www.hallamdojo.co.uk

20. Nicholai

Nicholai New Member

I really want to do Goju-ryu but can't find an intructor. I live in Kent can anyone suggest anyone?

There must be someone.