Best freestanding bag and mats for home practice.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tman, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Tman

Tman Valued Member

Hello all,

Looking to get some gear, to convert my living room or garage into a training area.

What bags and mats do you all recommend? Freestanding would be the best option, as I can't hang in the from room. Am looking at the wavemaster, which I'm familiar with. As Im in the UK, I get stung by VAT though. But I'd pay the extra for a quality product. About £200 is my budget.

I'm a fairly energetic hitter, so something that bounces about all over the place isn't ideal.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've got a Wavemaster (original, not 2XL Pro). It's not bad but it has limitations.

(1) It can be filled with either water or sand, and if you fill with water, I've seen some very-well-used ones leak from around the cap when hit hard. Mine is filled with sand and so I don't have that issue.

(2) If you hit full power, you'll feel the plastic core. You don't have to be super gentle, but keep in mind that it can be a harder striking surface than a hanging heavy bag.

(3) The original wavemaster is a smaller bag that can be adjusted up or down. The problem is, it can't be low enough to be a target for leg kicks and also be tall enough for head strikes at the same time. The Wavemaster XXL is a bigger bag so it's better for switching levels. Also, 2XL Pro has thicker padding, so it would solve both 2 and 3.

It's not perfect, but it's served me well for about a decade, and it's been VERY welcome during the pandemic. That said, I wish I owned a 2XL Pro instead of an Original Wavemaster...but admittedly there's a significant cost difference between the two.

3. ZaxNeon

ZaxNeon New Member

You hopefully already bought something, but for anybody looking at this late, I’d put in votes for either the Title Hydroflex series, or the Everlasting Omniflex. Both are less expensive than Wavemaster Xxl’s and both are great bags. They are designed to sway to varying degrees, but this really helps your ranging and mobility. Don’t think I could ever go back to a static floor bag.

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

The OP mentioned garage space. If that space is available it may have options for installing a hanging bag. Those can be taken down when not in use, for space considerations. I highly recommend a hanging bag over a standing bag, if space permits in any way.

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

If you can use garage space, set up a heavy bag or double end bag.

I prefer the double end back bag as it is easier to remove and store, you need a fitting in the ceiling and a heavy weight on the floor if you don't want to use a floor fitting.