BEST DEFENSE – Kajukenpo? Your professional input.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by tmartialaa, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Hello to all,

I’m not too familiar to this style, coming more from a Hapkido and kenpo jujitsu background so I think I found the right post to ask this question. I could always look for more on the internet, but I found there are a lot of scholars on these forums that can provide a more in-depth, personal answers.

Here is a video on Channel 6 (click on the remote to get to the channel), on the show Best Defense dated March 25, 2009
    http://www.mogulsinc.com/Development/test.htm

How well does Master Libby Hill explain the “ABC’s” of self defense since she particular teaches young girls how to defend themselves against two, three opponents, and against men?

Sparring looks pretty good with the form and execution of techniques, what is everyone’s opinion on this matter?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I would have to unfortunately say that from a martial arts point of view, the video is a very poor example of the fundamentals. The sparring and drills are severely lacking in contact, the students have brown and black belts but they punch with poor fist alignment (some have wrists bent down, some have wrists bent back). A black belt should know better.

From a self defense perspective, the students are constantly turning their back to the enemy after an exchange (they should know the fight does not end just because the judge says break). And in the drills, they are not closing the distance to point blank range (probably because of the lack of contact on hits) but instead are staying out at punching ranges where they are less likely to really be able to hurt someone bigger than them. Very bad habits to learn in training, IMHO.

On the other hand, it is a very good video for what it is worth. Most people will see that there is good fighting spirit and sincere training. Lots of people get turned away if the martial arts looks too brutal, so keeping things at a level where all can enjoy what they are seeing is beneficial to a wider audience. I would say good job on the video.

Also, Sensei Hill doesn't do much in the video but it looks like she knows what she is doing which is a big plus.

3. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

I noticed the contact issue also, but I did not notice the fist alignment. Good point, I'm use to seeing contact sparring. Do you think it may have been the angle of the video?

True, do you think this is due to tournament sparring and the type of competitions they may be going to?

How did you like the ending with the multiple attacks against Sensei Hill?
    I think it look pretty good, especially with the hard throw on the last attacker.

Hopefully others will post some observations in this forum.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The angle of video can make a difference but I'm fairly sure that the fist alignment was off at times. This usually happens when students don't practice punching with power so that they always hit using their first two (big) knuckles. People will tend to instead hit using their whole hand (especially if they are wearing hand protection) instead of their knuckles. If you have ever been hit with the force focused on one or two knuckles, you know it hurts a lot more than getting hit with the whole hand. Simple physics, law of inverse squares.

When you hit something hard but don't have good alignment, you often hurt your wrist, so this is also a way of learning not to do that.

I think it probably has to do with not being taught it in the dojo environment. If you are in a dojo where students can be attacked from behind or can be attacked using a training knife instead of a punch, etc. You learn to keep your guard up, even when the referee says to break. Of course this all has to be done in a constructive manner, I'm not saying have Kato come out and attack you at any time from anywhere like in the Pink Panther... :p

I thought it was pretty cool. It had some real drama in there. The techniques were kind of off target though on the first guy. I think Sensei Hill was trying to pinch the inside of the leg of the first attacker, but was off target. Or if trying to strike the groin, was off target on that too.

It was still pretty cool though.