best and worst new bands

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jan 18, 2008.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Who do you consider to be the best and worst bands to emerge in this decade (the zeds, 2000 on)?
    I'd say the best is The Kills, followed closely by Ambulance Ltd.
    I'd say the worst is Escape the Fate.

2. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Best=Arcade fire, Artic monkeys.
    Worst=Reverand and the makers,Mika,hot chip,Lilly Allen.

3. davbb

davbb New Member

i agree with paciFIST

matt

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Jeez, now I do feel old. I've just realized I don't own any albums by bands formed after 2000!

5. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Best :

Muse, although maybe they are more than a decade .....

I like the Fratellis, Graham Coxon, Arcade Fire, the Hoosiers are pretty good. Arctic Monkeys are a laugh.

Worst - hmmm..... Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty strike me as the most overrated along with Lilly Allen and Kate Nash but they are still halfway good.
    The kind of bands that really pee me off are the ones who play the noodley "Jazz rock" fusion with loads of yeah yeah yeah babys.... and also the "soul" singers who think that soul music is about aural gymnastics a la Maria Carey.
    Worst - hard pressed to think of the "worst" as such, the standard of music is pretty low nowadays in the band dept.

6. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Oh yeah Kaiser Chiefs for best as well - the "Employment" album although I think they went downhill from there......

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd say for best... the Arctic Monkeys rank right up there.

In terms of worst... that's easy...

Rammstein... total crap. Overrated, over produced mellowdramatic German schlock. Give me a fricken break... what a joke. :rolleyes:

8. Cyco78

Cyco78 Plastic Surgery Disasters

I'd say best would probably have to be either LoC or Morning Glory, surprisingly good bands for the time.

I'd have to say the worst would probably have to be...wow theres just so many, lets see here. Whichever band really made popular the dyed black hair going over one side of the persons face... I don't really know who popularized it, I just know I don't like it.

9. Moosey

Well... you say that, but Medicre Generica was a bit suxx really and although F' World Trade is pretty good, it's not a patch on No Gods / No Managers.

10. Cyco78

Cyco78 Plastic Surgery Disasters

Yeah, but what else is out thats better? Nothing I've heard...of course I don't get out around people much these days, so that probably explains that.

Still, even when I was getting out and hanging out with people a lot all everyone always wanted to talk about or listen to was tool, green day, linkin park and the rest of that mess that gets radio play these days...

Even when someone wanted to talk about something I was interested in, it'd only ever be like the casualties or the misfits...Don't get me wrong, I love the misfits but like when someones going on about them for an hour and a half, it gets kinda stale. (Also GWAR, I love GWAR alright, but living in Richmond VA for 7 years gotta got me tired of even just hearing the name)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  11. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

Best - The wombats.
    Arctic monkeys.
    Arcade fire.
    The klaxons.
    The Fratellis.

Worst - Funeral for a friend and all thoses emo bands that sound exactly the same as
    them in every way.

12. Moosey

There isn't a lot of competition in the ska black metal field :D

Against All Authority usually get compared to teh CV but their albums tend to be of the "3 good songs + lots of filler" variety.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Im like Moosey, most of the bands I listen to have been around for a while.

New(ish) bands

Beta Band/King Biscuit time
    Combichrist
    Psyclon Nine

Worst
    Pretty Much all the Indi music ive heard this decade, it just sounds generic to me now.

14. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Best...

I really like lots of the Welsh metallers - Bullet For My Valentine, Lost Prophets, Funeral For A Friend etc.

Worst...

Amy Winehouse, Pete Doherty and his skinny, drug taking ilk. They really irk me - they should be locked away.

15. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

As much crappy bands that are out there, im glad they are out there in some respects.

Pre 2000, rock in most forms was really coming up short or so it seemed with it not being a big hit on Top of the Pops back then!. Now it seems there is a new band every fricken week!

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm with Carlos, Wales has got a great post hardcore/metal scence right now. New band up and coming from this area is called Kids in Glass Houses, well worth checking out if you like that kind of music.

Why does everyone keep saying the Arctic Monkeys? Lyrically the content is clever but I didn't rate their album much

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I don't like any of the:woo: bands like the:woo: kooks or the:woo: pigeon detectives. :woo: NME:woo:bands :yeleyes:

18. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

1) Rammstein are great when you take them about as seriously as they take themselves - ie not very much.

2) Their first album, Herzelied, came out in 1995, so they're a bit old for this discussion. :D