best albums of 2007 (so far)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Aug 13, 2007.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

What are your favorite albums of 2007 so far?
    Some of my favorites are:

Patti Smith- Twelve
    It's an awesome album of covers. Her versions of "Gimme Shelter", "Are You Experienced" and "Changing of the Guards" are musts.

Patrick Wolf- The Magic Position
    This album just might restore my faith in new music.

Rotting Christ- Theogonia
    It's a great album that's helping me get into extreme metal.

The Stooges- The Weirdness
    I don't care what anybody says about this album, the Stooges are the Stooges, and Iggy Pop is a god. Sure it's not as good as their old stuff, but it's still great.

The White Stripes- Icky Thump
    It's pretty good, even though (as usual) they released one of the worst songs on it as the single.

2. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Icky Thump - White Stripes Definitely

Timbaland - Shock Value

Those two jump to mind as albums on which I like just about every track.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Modest Mouse - We were dead... was that 2006 or 2007? Awesome album, either way.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Ive not really baught many albums this year made in 2007 but my favs so far are

Skinny Puppy - Mythmaker - very different to earlyer stuff a bit of a grower.

Amon Tobin - The Foley Room - usual brilliance.

Combichrist - What The F Is Wrong With You People - Best bit of aggrotech ive ever heard.

Revolting Cocks - Cocktail Mixxx - Remixes of last years Cocked and Loaded, has Jello Biafra on it so is obviously good :D

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm still catching up on 1967! :D

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yossarian again speaks the truth. Mythmaker and the Combichrist ones are both cool as hell
    Thus far, my album of the year is the new Neurosis one "Given to the Rising." The heaviest they've been since "Through Silver in Blood," but retains all of the layering and dynamics of their lighter last couple of releases. Simply, an excellent slab of experimental metal
    Other than that, I've not really been too blown away by stuff this year. VNV Nation's "Judgement" was pretty cool, but still not up to the standards they set on "Empires" or "Praise the Fallen." Pelican's newie "City of Echoes" is definitely recommended if you like your post rock all loaded with metal riffs, and the new 65Daysofstatic one "The Destruction of Small Ideas" is good too
    My "outsider" pick of the year so far is my new discovery Oxbow with their "The Narcotic Story." It was recommended to me as a "terribly unwell Nick Cave meets the Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth, then runs into Chuck Palahniuk and gets him to write the lyrics." It's a pretty spacy description, but it's not too far off how the album (and their back catalogue) sounds
    Also worth a mention is the newie from dark ambient/ industrial noise legends Lustmord entitled "Juggernaut." It's very good indeed if you're into this style of music, but if you think dark ambient sounds like a busted hoover, you might want to avoid :D

7. gornex

gornex Valued Member

linkin park- minutes to midnight

8. JuanBarry

JuanBarry Valued Member

the pigeon detectives-wait for me

Cold war kids-robbers & cowards

Klaxons- Myths of the Near Future

Kings of leon- because of the times

all great albums imho

9. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

because of the times is awesome agreed
    wincing the night away by the shins is really good
    I really cant wait for the new bedouin soundclash album to come out as well should be good

10. JuanBarry

JuanBarry Valued Member

i still have to get the shins album, i just keep forgetting about it

11. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

i reccommend it well obviously
    but yeah its really good and a bit underrated i think i've hardly ever heard it on the radio at all took me a few listens to get into it though