Best 5 tools for measuring a martial artist condition

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cxw, Sep 1, 2006.

1. cxw

cxw Valued Member

If you were the stength & conditioning coach for an martial artist, and you had a choice of 5 ways of measuring the physical condition of this person, what 5 measures would you use? If you believe that a grappler should be measured differently to a striker, then that's fine, you can have a different list of 5 for the striker and 5 for the grappler.

The only thing you're not allowed to measure is the actual sports specific functions, i.e. you can't include using a force meter to measure a boxers punch.

I've got 5 in mind, but I'd like to see what other peoples are first:)

2. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I would look at these 5 categories first.

1. I would observe him/her in competitive/sparring conditions. What areas show fatigue first? Technical proficientcy?

2. A few ratios to consider. Height:Weight; Strength:Weight; Body Fat %

3. Verticle Jump. Standing Long Jump. Explosive Pushup Height. Explosive Pullups. Maximal muscular contraction in minimal time.

4. Agility. Mobility. Change of direction capabilities.

5. Reaction time to a given stimulus. Hand-eye coordination.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

1/ 1RM Deadlift,squat, weighted pullup and bench press to bodyweight ratio to measure strength.
    2/ Snatch ,, ,, power.
    3/ Vertical jump and shot put throw ,, ,, speed.
    4/ Overheadsquat ,, ,, dynamic flexibility.
    5/ Kettle bell* snatches in 3minutes ,, ,, anaerobic/aerobic endurance.

4. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

1. 1rm snatch, deadlift, squat, clean & jerk, deadlift, weighted pull up, weighted push up to gauge strength
    2. any sort of of gauging tool (this is essential not for strength, but for comparison) to see if he can use the same amount of force (mid-high) succesfuly through a long period of time (3-5 mins)
    3. technical proficiency - in striking, grappling, striking & grappling defence and mobility
    4. hill sprints, wind sprints, long distance jog, intervals on a machine to gauge endurance
    5. might seem odd... psychological tests to see how he handles under pressure.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

There are computer programs that do this I think thats what coaches would use today?

Hip torque is one of the things measured i think.

6. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I was thinking of only 5 measures, but it's fine some of you grouped them.

Anyhow below are my 5
    1 - 100 burpees (anearobic fitness)
    2 - vertical leap (explosiveness)
    3 - deadlift max (max strength)
    4 - front squat max (max strength, but emphasis on legs)
    5 - number of chin-ups (strength endurance with an obvious correlation with max strenght, i.e. if you can only do 3 your max weighted isn't much more)

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Intriguing question.

In no particular order...

- Underwater weighing - Bodyfat analysis.

- 3-rep max overhead squat - Total body coordination under load.

- 2-rep max in push press, deadlift (for grapplers, use 2" thick bar), and 1-arm flat bench press - Maximal strength.

- Standing, straight leg toe touch - General posterior chain flexibility.

- 5% bodyweight-shotput for distance. - Explosive strength.

- 90-second sprint for distance. - Anaerobic endurance/power.

That's 6. Oh well. Guess I'm a bad coach. :eek:

Like most volleys in table tennis? Or high score at pinball? Forrest Gump and Tommy would rock on your test. :D

I see where you're headed with this, only...1 - as a S+C coach, that's out of your pay-grade to diagnose. And 2 - That doesn't quite fall into the "physical condition measure". But still, I like that you're looking at the brain as the seat of performance.