Bent-over rows without bench

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Amber, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Amber

Amber Valued Member

2. Wotonito

Wotonito Valued Member

Well this is from someone that doesn't even know what that is so...

It looks like it'd be pretty bad if you dropped it and the bar hit your knees on the way down. (I've sprained both my knee's by just pushing down on them trying to stand up... *facepalm*)

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that's why you're supposed to do these lifts with a spotter who will berate you if you so much as look in the wrong direction while doing them* :)

*says the guy who lifts in his room out of pure anti-social misanthropy :p

4. liero

liero Valued Member

Liftable weight, neutral spine and sensible rep range and you'll be fine.

Might be better than doing it with a bench. Support muscles and such...

5. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

If you have a lower back issue this will exacerbate it. Like liero said, safe weight and such it will be ok, but as fish said, not really an exercise for the untrained and you should really have a coach on hand whilst doing these.

6. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Nothing dangerous with that within reason and with the caveats mentioned by the previous posters. Heck, I do a close grip t-bar row a lot like it. Just make sure you have the lower back for it as SpikeD was talking 'bout.

7. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Always look forward as you lift it and you'll be fine.

I do it about once every one to two weeks alternating between that and pull-ups and pull downs.

It's also my preferred method of working the lats when I don't have access to a pull up bar.

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

No.
    Not at all.

Lifting any weight is dangerous if you do it wrong. it'll do you more good without a bench. (unless you stand on said bench to improve ROM and get a good stretch.)

9. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

In my experience, it depends on a few variables, including:

1). How much weight is being used
    2). If you have any lower back issues
    3). Technique

This also applies to T-Bar rows.

The barbell row can be dangerous, as the body is not supported and the lower back is excessively involved. As you add more and more weight, it can be difficult to keep good form, which may result in you rounding your back, which can/will inevitably lead to lower back injury.

I personally tend to avoid them as I have had issues with my lower back, but having said that, i know quite a few guys who have done them for years with no problem. Like I say, it depends on a few variables; physiology being one of them.

Rows either on a bench or on a cable can be advantageous over barbell rows, in that the wrist position (semi-supinated grip) is a lot easier to handle, and your body is supported, allowing for a better support of the lower back.

Ultimately though, I think it's just down to personal choice as to whether you use them - as I say, i know people whom have had no apparent problem from them, but I avoid them because of my back.

10. seiken steve

Yeah, but cables and supported rows require much less stabilizing and stimulate far fewer muscle, this leads to a much lower hormone response and strength gains. BOR puts a lot tension on the body, this is a good thing, if you keep good form with a 135 BOR then keeping good form with a 300 deadlift will be a doddle

The spinal erectors are not made of glass, they are incredibly tough muscles that need tough training, if your deadlifting any decent weight and doing your good mornings (like you should) then I think the stress of bent over rows is pretty low.

Look forward and use a proper form the BOR is a great strength movement, and will help you with your deadlifts, squats and bench as well as adding some badass thickness to your lats and mid back, do it badly and it is dangerous, but then what movement isn’t?

Those with a week back or spinal paranoia could try supine rows (or bodyweight rows to us plebs) and kroc rows for some serious lat work.

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I do these without a bench. Deadlift it off the ground, then bend into the rowing position from there. Keep a neutral spine.

12. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

So, I'll go ahead and ask the dumb question: How do you do barbell rows WITH bench? I've never seen it done before

13. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Thats a good point....

14. Amber

Amber Valued Member

Hold the barbell in one hand =P

I did mean, as opposed to dumbbell rows with a bench. =P

Thanks for the responses guys. Was a bit iffy about them but this seems the way to go. Cheers!

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I've seen them done where you lie on the bench with the barbell underneath the bench and you pull it up to the bottom of the bench - kind of like a chest supported row. I saw a documentary several years ago, in which Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsentt did them this way.

16. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

If barbell rows make your lower back funny, back off for a few sessions. You can do dumbbell rows from the bench and do hypers for lower back.

I'm still having trouble picturing this...do you just use some taller bench?

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's more of a lying-on-your-front row than a bent over row and I think they were using high benches to do them with.

18. seiken steve

Yeah, the one at my gym looks like the post a baddie would tie his horse to in a western. Comes to about my belly button and is super narrow.

A lot of tbar rows use a chest pad too.