belt ranking in kendo?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by samuri-man, Jul 13, 2005.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

does kendo have the belt ranking system? if so what are the main colours. if not how do you tell how good someone is?

2. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Spar them.

3. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Asinus asinorum.

4. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

This is not reflective of the Japanese system. Now Ikyu is an association rather than dojo grade. There is a two year gap between Shodan and Nidan.
    Up to Godan is taken on a prefectural level. Rokudan a national entry level.

No belts are worn! The Dan-I system is a grading system.

The reason I point this out is that in theory someone could be taking Sandan within three years?. In Japan most kids have done around seven years daily training before they even take shodan.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If not you spar them and hope for the best

6. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

how do u tell then?

7. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Of course you fence with them. One learns by being hit!. When I first came to Japan I practiced around 10 times a week. Most of that was around 55 minutes of hard fundamental exercise such as kiri kaeshi and kakari geiko. Only the last five minute were ji geiko (free practice). Around a year of this and one starts to feel a difference in ability.

I should add that I arrived in Japan with Shodan.

8. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus New Member

Before I begin, let it be known that I have very litle training with a sensai; I am mostly self tought. But collectivly there are four ways to tell rank in kendo.

1: ask
    2: watch a pratice; the lesser students honor the older ones by allowing them to enter the standing position from sonkyo position first, or on their signal.
    3: if you go to the website of most kendo associations, it has a list of the rank of many members.
    4, and most simply: have a go. If the little old guy reliably can swat you square on the men, or hits you kote every time you strike, you're out of your league.

hope this helps :)

9. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

Hi. I have been involved in Kendo for quite a few years so I can tell you. In Kendo the most obvious rank division is between the Yudansha (black belts) and the Mudansha (non black belt). In most old school Kendo Dojo only Yudansha are able to wear the dark Blue Keikogi (top). Mudansha must either wear white keikogi, & if they do wear a blue one it must have a white band sewn accross the sleave so that everyone know that they are still a kyu.

There are no belts but the rank is as follows from lowest to highest, 6kyu - 1kyu & 1st dan - 9th dan.

10. The Damned

The Damned New Member

Well, definitely not in the uk m8. Yudansha and kyusha all wear the same. Sometimes about the only way to tell grade order is by the starting lineup when the class performs reiho.

Fencing with someone certainly won't enable you to find out their rank. I've fenced with seniors and beaten them and have myself been outclassed by relative beginners with a natural talent for shiai.