Being calm in those many annoying street situations

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tman, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Tman

Tman Valued Member

So I'm walking down the street on my way to training. There's a group of youths in front of me, one of them moves out of my way, but then alters course at the last minute to walk into me. I sidestep and continue my journey. 10 minutes later, a man makes as if to walk into me looking me directly in the eye, then changes course and walks off.

These are very minor incidents bit in each case I sensed that if I didn't remain calm, a fight would break out over nothing, and in my town, where honor is a long forgotten virtue, that usually means 2 plus against 1, knives and glass.
    In both cases I was ready to defend myself if necessary. I know I probably did the right thing by not asking them what the f they were looking at. But afterwards, I still was very angry, even contemplating walking that way tomorrow to see one of them, which I wont be doing.

I know the martial arts path is one of peace, only using what you know if it's necessary. So why the inner fury?!

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Because you're human and not some buddhist jedi monk

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is your body disposing of the adrenaline you built up - relax, it is normal!

I would argue that you DID defend yourself - and admirably. By not engaging you protected your life and health

Martial Arts as a path of peace is largely a crock - typically as a way to cover up ineffectualities in training. Yes you develop a level of confidence and calm is drawn from that confidence, but if you want inner peace go to yoga or church.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I get that a fair bit on my morning and evening commute. By contrast to the town you've described, however, I commute through areas and amongst people that are very civilised. The conclusion I've come to is that most other people pay less attention to where they're walking than I do.

My solution: make a reasonable effort to avoid them. If you do bump into someone, be the first to apologise - even if it's their fault - and walk on.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This^^^^^^.

Quite often when on the receiving end of an angry person, one who gives you the finger while you are driving, or pushes past you in the street, it is not you who is at fault. The aggressor does not necessarily want to have a go at you, you are just in the wrong place at the right time, a manifestation for whatever is wrong in his life.

You will get different types of aggressor, but in the cases the OP describes it is just the person who has had a bad day, money worries, domineering wife/kids etc. Cosmic Fish has it right when he says be the first to aploogise. Say it like you mean it and like the situation is of no importance.

"You lookin' at me"?

"Sorry mate, I was miles away, didn't even realise"

I suggest reading The Art of Fighting Without Fighting by Geoff Thompson.

It is a great read an describes the different types of aggressor you are likely to face and how to deal with each one. More importantly though it tells you what is happening to you when you have the butterflies in the stomach and also how to avoid the situation before it starts.

This is a link to a free pdf. download.

http://www.geoffthompson.com/media/ArtofFighting.pdf